IGNORED

Drop Massengo, Semenyo, Weimann on Saturday against Birmingham

to the bench

The season is nearly over and we ain't going no where.

I am concerned that three players mentioned COULD suffer burn out

If saturdays crowd gets behind the team and with Birmingham fans not very happy with their team we could get the three points

That would mean a two week rest for our gold star players

Then return all three of  them for the away games at Blackburn and the midweek game against Barnsley.

Where will the goals from?

I am not concerned,

its next season we have to start worrying about and its not the attack,

its the defence I am worried about and its the defence that needs sorting out.

Edited by Never to the dark side
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Hmmm 2

In short no,

While we still aren't mathematically safe we should be fighting for every point which means our best players need to play when fit,

We would be doing reading Barnsley and Peterborough a disservice playing a weakened team, and if it were the other way round we'd be outraged

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

If we are going to rest people I'd rather see it done in games where we don't really have a chance of points (Forest last weekend for example, Blackburn away soon). We can take points against against Brum at AG so I'd like to see a strong team. 

• Like 3

Weeks rest, so I don't see it happening.
I do see Williams and James sharing a game, maybe 45 mins each. I'd also like to see Conway get a run. 
Thing is, with our injury record (still) we can't plan too much. I'd start with what is considered our best XI, try and get a lead ( I won't say win the game) and then see about resting players. We are still trying to get everyone playing as a team, last Saturday proved we're no where near that yet.

We’re not quite safe yet.  It’s highly unlikely, but if Barnsley continue in the form they seem to have suddenly found they have the potential to reach 47-49 points. This is pretty far-fetched and of course, as it would mean them maintaining promotion form for the remainder of the season, but I won’t start to feel comfortable until we’ve got another couple of wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

In short no,

While we still aren't mathematically safe we should be fighting for every point which means our best players need to play when fit,

We would be doing reading Barnsley and Peterborough a disservice playing a weakened team, and if it were the other way round we'd be outraged

We would be doing reading Barnsley and Peterborough a disservice playing a weakened team, and if it were the other way round we'd be outraged -

To be be fair we are playing in a professional sport competition, worrying about the feelings of other clubs should not come into it.

We have a squad of players and should play the players that suits us, 

However I do agree that we should be giving more of the youngsters a game as we are in rebuilding mode and there are no consequences for losing.

Conway in the Weimann role for a game or two and Owers in DM, Taylor at RB (if we play a back 4) for instance.

Get them game experience this season so it is not new to them next.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Put Nahki and Conway up front and bring James back in the middle see how we got on I would probably drop Martin as well he looks burnt out too

I would rather James undertake some really good fitness training before coming back. He looks so slow at times and he is not that old. I think some stamina training plus lose 3 or 4 KG would set him up

3 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I would rather James undertake some really good fitness training before coming back. He looks so slow at times and he is not that old. I think some stamina training plus lose 3 or 4 KG would set him up

Anyone remotely injured should not be playing, absolutely no point.

There are no expectations or consequences based on results and we are safe.

Use the rest of the rebuild season to do exactly that, look at squad/younger players. Try different formations and players in different roles.

The experienced gained could be invaluable in future seasons.

You surely pick the best eleven you think will get you the points (unless you are at a point where you’ve decided to see what fringe players can do).  Form, fatigue, etc comes into that decision making process.  You play the game in front of you.  Sports Science helps you understand the fatigue psrt of the decision.

We’ve seen with Joe Williams, he’s not been rested due to upcoming fixtures, but because they don’t think he’s fit (too fatigued) to start and play the next game….not planning 2 games into the future.

I remember a couple of seasons back, we had 3 games in a week and LJ said he’d picked 3 separate teams.  I thought that was bonkers.  What if the player you chose to say play games 1 and 3 bangs in a hatrick in game 1?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You surely pick the best eleven you think will get you the points (unless you are at a point where you’ve decided to see what fringe players can do).  Form, fatigue, etc comes into that decision making process.  You play the game in front of you.  Sports Science helps you understand the fatigue psrt of the decision.

We’ve seen with Joe Williams, he’s not been rested due to upcoming fixtures, but because they don’t think he’s fit (too fatigued) to start and play the next game….not planning 2 games into the future.

I remember a couple of seasons back, we had 3 games in a week and LJ said he’d picked 3 separate teams.  I thought that was bonkers.  What if the player you chose to say play games 1 and 3 bangs in a hatrick in game 1?

I think your Sport science comment in paragraph one answer your question in paragraph 3 and you can always tweak it.

Wiliams and James rotated in one starting position until the end of the season alongside a youngster is the sort of thing I am talking about. 

19 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I think your Sport science comment in paragraph one answer your question in paragraph 3 and you can always tweak it.

Wiliams and James rotated in one starting position until the end of the season alongside a youngster is the sort of thing I am talking about. 

Surely at some point this season we want Williams and James to have a run of games together with the hope they can form our first choice CM pairing next season? Injuries permitting of course...

• Hmmm 1

I must admit I find the idea that we should rest players in their 20s because some of them have played twice a week recently slightly bonkers, my god I worked as a steel fabricator into my 60s sometimes working nearly 60 hours a week if we were busy, you will pardon me if I haven't much sympathy for this suggestion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pillred said:

I must admit I find the idea that we should rest players in their 20s because some of them have played twice a week recently slightly bonkers, my god I worked as a steel fabricator into my 60s sometimes working nearly 60 hours a week if we were busy, you will pardon me if I haven't much sympathy for this suggestion.

But could you fabricate steel on a cold wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

But could you fabricate steel on a cold wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

Yes, and when a young boy ran up to you, after you’d finished, would you give him your shirt? 

• Like 1