IGNORED

400 is approx 1.3% of 30,000

maxjak

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Of course i realise............i just believe that the target sample is not representative IMHO.   It is the headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" that i take issue with.  308 people is NOT Major Backing?   I am not biased against NP, I just would like it to be truthful, and a reflection of what the hard core support truly believe?

I’m very much jury out on NP…. Which is irrelevant!
I’d also suggest 308 views are irrelevant. 
Maybe if the headline was “NP given major backing of two blokes, one called Steve and one called Jon” it might have been more relevant!!! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

What is this ludicrous Bristol Live survey that has emerged?   77% of 400 supporters apparently think NP is doing a good job?  Well as a  modest assessment, I would estimate there are at least 30,000 City fans out there in Robins land, so 400 is around 1.3% of that total?   Sorry what is this ?  An attempt at propaganda?   Bristol live has found 400 fans as a sample..........well I am certain I could track down 400 fans (Given time...Ha!) who would have the opposite opinion.  An absolutely pointless exercise by Bristol Live, that is worthy of a lame Tabloid? 

What an odd post.

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Which is ?

What do the hardcore support truly believe ?

I take it you have consulted them all ?

Um........that is the point ?  I have not consulted them, and neither has The Bristol Post?  The survey was 308 people out of 400 that happened to go on the Bristol Live website?   I have nothing particularly against NP, I just think a Headline claiming that he has Major Backing is misleading?   He might well have, but it is a biased sample, that in no way proves that to be the case?......That is All.

Just now, maxjak said:

Well if it's the National Census, then?....................

That's not a survey it's a census, they are different,

To be honest you give me figures and I can spin it positively for you,

For example 4999 vote for a pay rise 5000 vote against a pay rise

I'd term that as the majority voted against a payrise,

This is factually correct, 

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That's not a survey it's a census, they are different,

To be honest you give me figures and I can spin it positively for you,

For example 4999 vote for a pay rise 5000 vote against a pay rise

I'd term that as the majority voted against a payrise,

This is factually correct, 

True...........that is what bothers me about the Bristol Post survey........"Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" is a manipulation of the facts, and is NOT true, based on a survey of 400 readers?  It might well be true that he has major backing, but 338 out of 400 people who happen to read the Post is not an accurate sample IMHO?

31 minutes ago, maxjak said:

True...........that is what bothers me about the Bristol Post survey........"Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" is a manipulation of the facts, and is NOT true, based on a survey of 400 readers?  It might well be true that he has major backing, but 338 out of 400 people who happen to read the Post is not an accurate sample IMHO?

I suggest you look away when they show shampoo and make-up adverts on TV. You're in for a rude awakening!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

@maxjak as I posted above, if it's not a random survey of supporters then it means nothing - so based on how you've described the poll, I would dismiss any 'findings' as worthless.

I work in market research.

This is what we would call a voodoo poll.

Problem 1 is that the poll is open to anyone on the internet. You have no way of validating that the people who completed actually support BCFC

Problem 2 is that these polls are easily gamed. Imagine that Bristol Live runs a survey on Scottish independence. An SNP supporter sees it and tweets the link. The result show 95% of Bristolians support Scottish Independence.

The sample size is fine. If I was doing a proper survey, I would probably go for a lower sample size of say 100-200 or it would be very expensive (it would likely be very expensive anyway unless the club was involved and could use their database).

So treat as a bit of fun.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

I work in market research.

This is what we would call a voodoo poll.

Problem 1 is that the poll is open to anyone on the internet. You have no way of validating that the people who completed actually support BCFC

Problem 2 is that these polls are easily gamed. Imagine that Bristol Live runs a survey on Scottish independence. An SNP supporter sees it and tweets the link. The result show 95% of Bristolians support Scottish Independence.

The sample size is fine. If I was doing a proper survey, I would probably go for a lower sample size of say 100-200 or it would be very expensive (it would likely be very expensive anyway unless the club was involved and could use their database).

So treat as a bit of fun.

1980s - Britain has a gambling problem - so says survey***

*** survey conducted at Newbury station on race day

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

No need to educate.

I felt it was odd due to the language, context and purpose ?

Thank God!.......With your patently superior intellect, I would, as a simple member of the proletariat,   .....  have struggled to have comprehended just how damn clever you are?    Phew! , Close Call.        

Perhaps people should educate themselves with statistical modelling before posting in this instance. 400 isn't great, but gives confidence interval of roughly +/- 5% I believe. I think the gold standard for polling is often around 1000 respondents and the accuracy of polling follows the law of diminishing returns from then on. 

What would be more interesting is the polling methodology and questions used. But that is an entirely different topic.

41 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Perhaps people should educate themselves with statistical modelling before posting in this instance. 400 isn't great, but gives confidence interval of roughly +/- 5% I believe. I think the gold standard for polling is often around 1000 respondents and the accuracy of polling follows the law of diminishing returns from then on. 

What would be more interesting is the polling methodology and questions used. But that is an entirely different topic.

This springs to mind:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Thank God!.......With your patently superior intellect, I would, as a simple member of the proletariat,   .....  have struggled to have comprehended just how damn clever you are?    Phew! , Close Call.        

Nice one ?

On 01/03/2022 at 14:52, maxjak said:

Of course i realise............i just believe that the target sample is not representative IMHO.   It is the headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" that i take issue with.  308 people is NOT Major Backing?   I am not biased against NP, I just would like it to be truthful, and a reflection of what the hard core support truly believe?

I was going to ask. Where do you stand on the question?

On 01/03/2022 at 19:23, Sir Geoff said:

Of course the 23 percent could be votes from 'the other side' thus giving NP 100 per cent backing by city fans.

Or could it be that 77% are 'the others' and voting for Agent Pearson and 23% are City fans? Or just possibly Russian trolls.

Trouble with samples is that I always overfill the bottle.

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Or could it be that 77% are 'the others' and voting for Agent Pearson and 23% are City fans? Or just possibly Russian trolls.

Trouble with samples is that I always overfill the bottle.

Are those the ones that fit inside each other?

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1