IGNORED

Winter Paralympics

Midred

18 minutes ago, Midred said:

The international Paralympic committee are allowing Russia and Belarus to compete as neutral athletes!  I can understand that most athletes are probably apolitical but it's a bit like the IOC making exceptions to the no drugs ruling!

My general position is that, if a Nation is banned from sport or even from just one competition, then the ban applies to both the Nation and its competitors, without exception, so forget this nonsense of allowing athletes to compete under a new name and neutral flag, e.g. ROC.

On this occasion, however, I do have some empathy, perhaps even sympathy for the IPC and, in particular, for the athletes themselves. 

As you say, it is likely the athletes themselves are apolitical and, of course, most of them would probably have already arrived in China to prepare before the horror of Russia's intervention in Ukraine began.

My overriding thought, though, is that we are talking about a small number of athletes only, who, by definition of the name of Games in which they are competing, have already suffered in their personal lives, and I think that, notwithstanding the action of their Country being taken in their name, we can afford them some compassion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My general position is that, if a Nation is banned from sport or even from just one competition, then the ban applies to both the Nation and its competitors, without exception, so forget this nonsense of allowing athletes to compete under a new name and neutral flag, e.g. ROC.

On this occasion, however, I do have some empathy, perhaps even sympathy for the IPC and, in particular, for the athletes themselves. 

As you say, it is likely the athletes themselves are apolitical and, of course, most of them would probably have already arrived in China to prepare before the horror of Russia's intervention in Ukraine began.

My overriding thought, though, is that we are talking about a small number of athletes only, who, by definition of the name of Games in which they are competing, have already suffered in their personal lives, and I think that, notwithstanding the action of their Country being taken in their name, we can afford them some compassion. 

But then it allows the Putin regime to say to his public that our athletes are still welcome. I understand that the IOC say that they try to keep politics out, but they are bound to fail - the Olympics have a track record of being used for political propaganda purposes and there are more than enough examples.

Russia tends to have an athlete for every sport, and takes almost all the medals. I feel for the competitors of course but don’t want them to be seen as ‘winners’.

Very hard for the other countries athletes to compete along side them. They too have put four years plus of work in, but I certainly would applaud any of them who turn around and refuses to compete if the Russians take part.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Calculus said:

But then it allows the Putin regime to say to his public that our athletes are still welcome. I understand that the IOC say that they try to keep politics out, but they are bound to fail - the Olympics have a track record of being used for political propaganda purposes and there are more than enough examples.

8 hours ago, RedM said:

Russia tends to have an athlete for every sport, and takes almost all the medals. I feel for the competitors of course but don’t want them to be seen as ‘winners’.

Very hard for the other countries athletes to compete along side them. They too have put four years plus of work in, but I certainly would applaud any of them who turn around and refuses to compete if the Russians take part.

You are probably both right, but I maintain that, in these particular games, especially when the 'incident' has broken out so close to their opening, some compassion should be shown to the paralympic athletes who have fought through adversity to achieve their dream.

I am most certainly not an apologist for Russia, nor similar nations, far from it, but I daresay there is at least one Russian or Belarussian athlete who can relate personally to the story I post below, and I think of William Blackstone when I repeat that they should be allowed to compete.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/60508601

• Like 1