IGNORED

Shane Warne RIP

bartolona

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A great loss to the sport. It was terrifying watching him bowl against England. 

He was Imperial's overseas player in 1989, though he turned out for some Sunday XI games for Knowle CC too. 

I know someone that played for Knowle at the time, and apparently there was great surprise that within two years (1991) he made his Australia debut. That summer of '89 he was enjoying BBQ's and beer as much as his cricket, shall we say.

He transcended cricket, was one of the biggest names in sport for a time, and will be mourned for a long time down under, I'm sure. 

He's since said that the main thing he learnt at Imperial was how to drink properly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Apologies on changing the subject a little here but I can’t help but comment…

There are some morons on social media saying “another victim of the vaccine”

I think knowing Warney, there’ll have been a few things more likely to have got to him than the vaccine. 

• Like 3

I’m genuinely gutted to hear of Warne’s death. I grew up watching him on TV and at live Tests in England and Australia.

Icon, legend — call it what you will, and to think it all started in Knowle back in ‘89 when he came over from Melbourne as a batsman who bowled a bit. 

RIP, Shane. 

CD71C8C0-BC33-4EA1-B98D-8B61ACB5023A.jpeg

• Like 3

2005 Ashes for me was the greatest series I have seen but Warne was sensational in a losing Aussie team yet I remember the headlines saying Warne had dropped the Ashes after dropping KP before lunch but it was down to him that they were ever in that series.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was Imperial's overseas player in 1989, though he turned out for some Sunday XI games for Knowle CC too. 

I know someone that played for Knowle at the time, and apparently there was great surprise that within two years (1991) he made his Australia debut. That summer of '89 he was enjoying BBQ's and beer as much as his cricket, shall we say.

He transcended cricket, was one of the biggest names in sport for a time, and will be mourned for a long time down under, I'm sure. 

Heard some stories of his time at imperial. Loved the beer and ladies?

That’s Warney though, how could you not like him? Simply world class on the field and a champion of a bloke off it. 

I’m absolutely gutted, and I will miss him in the Sky comms box.

52 ffs

Edited by Lew-T
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Super said:

2005 Ashes for me was the greatest series I have seen but Warne was sensational in a losing Aussie team yet I remember the headlines saying Warne had dropped the Ashes after dropping KP before lunch but it was down to him that they were ever in that series.

Yeah, 40 wickets in the series which pretty much singlehandedly kept them in it when some of the other greats in that team were starting to fade.

The ball he bowled to get Strauss at Edgbaston was almost up there with the 'ball of the century'.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Heard some stories of his time at imperial. Loved the beer and ladies?

That’s Warney though, how could you not like him? Simply world class on the field and a champion of a bloke off it. 

I’m absolutely gutted, and I will miss him in the Sky comms box.

52 ffs

He got introduced to Blackthorn down the Imperial and Miss Millie’s at Broad Walk, when his Dad picked him up from the airport on his return from the summer over here he was 3 stone heavier than when he left!!! A sad, sad day, crickets greatest ever player who did more than anyone else for the sport

• Like 1

The greatest bowler and entertainer I`ve had the pleasure of seeing in my lifetime. When he got the ball you genuinely had no idea what to expect.

Along with the sad news about Rod Marsh, another one of my heroes growing up it truly is a black day for Australian cricket and the sport in general.

RIP Rod and Shane. 

• Like 3

As an Englishman you were supposed to hate him, and in the heat of an Ashes test maybe we did. But away from the crease how could you hate that guy? A living genius, but a paradox as well. I never met him, but a mate just told me a short story of his encounter with him:

"We played the Brabazon a few years back and he and Ricky Ponting were teeing off before us. He was a sound bloke tbf and was chatting on the putting green when Ponting didn’t want to know. They tee’d off, he couldn’t find his ball and Ponting sent him all the way back in the buggy to take another tee shot, we had to clear the tee box and let him have another go as he was slating Ponting! On this basis, we were basically best mates. Sad ?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was still in touch with several members at Knowle CC, to the extent of flying back during a test match he was commentating on, to attend the funeral of an old captain. 
Would always swing by when Hampshire were playing glos or England games he was commentating on, giving several of the younger lads nights out they won’t forget! 

A true cricket legend but an even better bloke.

• Like 12

One of those players you feel privileged to have seen play live, I was at Lords when he bowled the bouncer at KP, I just remember the reaction and laughter in the crowd. A true great on and off the field, one of those commentators you could just listen to and his masterclasses were great.

• Like 2

Stunned re the news today.

My thoughts then turned to watching the 2005 Ashes Tests on Channel 4. You would hear the Batmy Army 'sledging' him when bowling. Shane would then be sent to somewhere near the boundary only to receive a rapturous welcome followed by chants which he lapped up.

A Hero and villain at the same time.

19 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Stunned re the news today.

My thoughts then turned to watching the 2005 Ashes Tests on Channel 4. You would hear the Batmy Army 'sledging' him when bowling. Shane would then be sent to somewhere near the boundary only to receive a rapturous welcome followed by chants which he lapped up.

A Hero and villain at the same time.

And that was the whole point about the way we (England) treated the legendary Shane Warne, the archetypal pantomime villain.

I remember his dismissal of Mike Gatting very well: I had just come home and sat down with my father to watch a bit of cricket and have a casual sort of father/son chat.

Neither of us was paying particular attention to the cricket, but then there was that bowl, and Wow.

We were both speechless, and in awe of this new, unknown bowler - I was later to find out that I had seen him some years previously playing at Downend Cricket Club, although I really can’t remember him.

• Like 2