IGNORED

Shane Warne RIP

bartolona

7 hours ago, TomF said:

Sorry I meant English player who would be mourned to the point of being offering a state funeral.

The last official state funeral in the UK of a non Royal was Churchill. Thatcher was offered one prior to her death but turned it down.

Officially even the likes of Diana, the Queen Mother and Prince Philip weren't classed as state funerals, although they were public and televised.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure there is. 

This is the greatest player of the last few generations and something I’m struggling to get over. ?

I am not sure he was the greatest player of the last few generations, putting aside local and National bias, my choice (during my time of watching) would probably be Sir Garfield Sobers, but he was certainly one of the most charismatic.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure he was the greatest player of the last few generations, putting aside local and National bias, my choice (during my time of watching) would probably be Sir Garfield Sobers, but he was certainly one of the most charismatic.

Ahhh. You see Warney beats anyone in this generation and the last, but I’d say Sobers was the generation before that so I never had the pleasure. 

Saying that, Warne would be my number one pick of anyone ever. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ahhh. You see Warney beats anyone in this generation and the last, but I’d say Sobers was the generation before that so I never had the pleasure. 

Saying that, Warne would be my number one pick of anyone ever. 

So, you’re calling me an old fogey ?.

Whilst, Sobers aside, I could probably propose quite a few candidates for ‘greatest player’, even our own Sir Ian Botham, but their achievements were based on a general period of time, Botham’s Headingley Test aside.

When I think of magical moments, however, the first examples that come to mind would be SW’s ball that dismissed Mike Gatting, but also the snorter that bowled Andrew Strauss; moments that made me say ‘Wow’.

A massive six is great, but quickly forgotten, whereas I can still picture those two balls years later.

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Arguable he was the best of his generation when you have the likes of Kallis, Sangakkara and "Little Master". It's pretty tricky comparing batsmen and bowlers though.

In terms of spin bowlers, Murali has better stats than Warne and bowled at the same time. But, horrible to watch! 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Arguable he was the best of his generation when you have the likes of Kallis, Sangakkara and "Little Master". It's pretty tricky comparing batsmen and bowlers though.

In terms of spin bowlers, Murali has better stats than Warne and bowled at the same time. But, horrible to watch! 

I think Murali would of got the majority of his wickets in spin friendly Asia

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure. He was exceptional in English conditions too as his domestic and Test record over here testifies. 

I think that the best argument is that Warne played in a team where every bowler was capable of taking wickets, depriving him of the opportunity Murali would have had. There was only really Vaas, and later Malinga, neither of whom were in the same categories as McGrath, Lee or even Gillespie. Essentially Murali had every opportunity to earn his wickets. 

Pretty sure that nearly 200 of Murali’s wickets were taken against the lesser nations of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. That changes things a lot. Warney didn’t play them a lot at all. 

This of course isn’t to say that Murali isn’t world class… he clearly is. I just think Warne would be the first name on more people’s world XI than Murali would. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sort of my point when I was questioning whether Shane Warne should be considered as 'the best', for it is perhaps difficult to define 'Best'.

With more than 100 First Class Centuries to his name, including 22 in Tests, Sir Geoffrey Boycott must rank as one of, if not the best, England batsmen over the last 50 years, idem Sir Alastair Cook, although, apart from the cricketing purists, neither were likely to attract the crowds or were particularly exciting to watch.

As you say, Murali has better statistics than Warne, ergo was a better bowler (local bowling conditions notwithstanding), although I know who I would prefer to watch.

As for a combination of cricketing skill, excitement and charisma, Shane Warne was certainly up there with the best of them.

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure. He was exceptional in English conditions too as his domestic and Test record over here testifies. 

His figures are truly remarkable but I would assume he played at least half his games in the sub continent, what a great and talented  team Sri Lanka had as well at the time

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

An interesting read, especially when he refers to lying on his bed before his Trent Bridge debut, before strolling out the next day to bowl Mike Gatting with his first ball in International Cricket.

He writes that he knew greatness was in the offing, and he deserves praise indeed for travelling so rapidly from Trent Bridge to Old Trafford, for it was in that Lancashire heartland that he bowled what is often referred to as the 'Ball of the Century'.    

• Haha 1

On 04/03/2022 at 15:04, Kid in the Riot said:

A great loss to the sport. It was terrifying watching him bowl against England. 

He was Imperial's overseas player in 1989, though he turned out for some Sunday XI games for Knowle CC too. 

I know someone that played for Knowle at the time, and apparently there was great surprise that within two years (1991) he made his Australia debut. That summer of '89 he was enjoying BBQ's and beer as much as his cricket, shall we say.

He transcended cricket, was one of the biggest names in sport for a time, and will be mourned for a long time down under, I'm sure. 

I knew someone who kept wicket to him at Knowle and said he was "nothing special", it's almost like he had a Robert Johnson crossroads moment later in his career. He also said he slept in the scorebox to save money.

On 05/03/2022 at 21:43, PHILINFRANCE said:

I had a chat with my uncle the other day who, through a charity team, toured with some of the great players of the last 60 odd years. He made me laugh when I asked him about Sobers because he leaned forward like he was going to give me some great cricketing insight and said..... "what a dancer!^ :)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Unfortunately it’s a spoof done by a betting company a few years ago 

I didn’t know that, but, in a way, I am quite relieved.

My first thoughts were that it was quite poorly written, but I was shocked when he referred to Trent Bridge as being the venue for his ‘ball of the Century’.

• Admin
On 07/03/2022 at 15:09, PHILINFRANCE said:

A relief of sorts.

When I read that he had ordered two Thai masseuses earlier that afternoon, I feared some quite awful revelations were going to materialise.

Totally agree with you, especially as supposed "leaked photos" were showing that he was not alone in his final hours

It would have been an awful lasting legacy for a true sporting legend

• Admin

Just realised his memorial service is currently being shown on Sky sports cricket, started 8am so only just over an hour left

Being repeated again at 7pm this evening, what I have seen already it is a powerful, emotional and amazing send off and worth watching