IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match day thread

13 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

How about this - Sorry to all the fans today, I got the tactics totally wrong and I set the team up badly for the game.  I made a pretty average team in Birmingham City look like they were in a higher division than us and I was out-thought by Lee Bowyer who made me look tactically inept.   Playing Sam Bell at right back was an unbelievably poor decision on my part and I apologise for any negative effects the game has had on his confidence.  In light of the continued terrible defending which I haven’t been able to address in over a year at the club, I’m seriously considering whether my best years in management are a long way behind me.  I take full responsibility for the substandard performance of the team over the season and I pledge to all I can to make use of the talent I have in the squad to improve our league position over the last 10 games.  If I can’t do that I will do the decent thing and step aside for a more competent replacement.  

That would be an extremely poor response. 

• Like 2

First half awful, second half not so bad.

The Bell at RB has had its day. Vyner is flawed but surely has more experience of the role. Kalas at RB as suggested by a few is another option but unsure- he hasn't played there for a while, maybe as part of a narrower back 4?

Kalas-Klose-Atkinson-Pring

Pring has played LCB before so is closer to that role than DaSilva. Minus Tanner though it's an undoubted problem.

Looking forward, I unfortunately foresee another challenging season in 2022/23, although there are variables that are yet to play out that could improve or worsen matters.

1) Who will be sold in the summer? At worst hopefully just the one of the 3 touted with moves away.

2) In the event we do sell one, would it be feasible to try and get a loan back for a year or two, sell it as best for development. That would offset losses and give a bit of room to strengthen while still retaining all 3 of them for the present.

3) Will we fail FFP and get a points deduction in 2022/23? That has to be a big downside risk- that and a Business Plan if it's the case that we haven't failed yet but will fail this time next year and a Business Plan is implemented to try and keep us on the straight and narrow. Avoid failing and there are brighter skies ahead in 2023/24 IF we are still a Championship club.

4) Injuries. Will these continue trending in the right direction. Think we have a reasonable 11 to 15 but beyond that...that profile of squad needs partnerships to build which can't happen with regular in and out injuries like we've seen. Dunno how truly peak fit James and Williams are eg. 

This year, shouldn't go down- still have Peterborough and Hull to play at home for a start- Peterborough's away record is truly awful and Hull haven't done great things post McCann.

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

These are the facts: we've spent 13 of the last 15 seasons in the Championship - or second tier. In one of those seasons out of the Championship, we won two trophies. Since we were relegated from the top league in 1911, we bounced between the second and third tiers on a regular basis (apart from 32-55. See below). Only between 1965 and 1980 did we enjoy a higher level of consistent league status than now. That was our best period since before the First World War. This is our second best.

Between 1932 and 1955, we were in the third tier.

Ok. Not sure if you’re agreeing with me or not to be honest. This being our second best period since before the First World War is terrible to me.

Rewatched the first goal again, as I couldn't quite believe how bad it was yesterday.

So the clearly off the pace James gets done and allows Chong to turn, Bell is just missing and Kalas just stands in an ineffective place and watches, but why was Bentley where he was? Supporting the right goal post while leaving 5/6ths of the goalmouth uncovered.

It was as soft a goal, as weak a capitulation, as I've ever seen at AG. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

bentley,dasilva,kalas,klose,pring atkinson and scott were 100 % committed yesterday, the rest were either getting chilled in the wind or not really up for it. 

sad that about 30 mins in the first half we seemed happy to just tap it around the back instead of screaming to try and get a goal back.

a little bit of time for williams too, bit harsh saying he didnt try and noticed he covered kalas well when he got pulled forward

You have just quoted 6 pkayers from probably the worse defensive unit I have seen at ashton;gate!

7 hours ago, frenchred said:

You have just quoted 6 pkayers from probably the worse defensive unit I have seen at ashton;gate!

unit being the right word.  individually  i thought they were trying, but nobody seemed to know who was supposed to be doing what except scott who stuck to his man whenever he could

On 06/03/2022 at 09:38, Sir Geoff said:

All about opinions but thought Kalas was poor yesterday, particularly first half. He was on Bell's side and gave the lad absolutely no help or encouragement.Williams the same. In fact all Williams did was was rollick Bell. After one such rollicking Weimann took it upon himself to walk 30 yards over to Bell to give him a handshake and a few words of encouragement. Poor from two experience d pros imo.

Williams spent much of the first half avoiding the ball, presume he got his own rollicking at HT from Pearson