IGNORED

That ones on Nige today

Silvio Dante

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

Neither Williams or James are a natural screen. Therein lies an issue if you play a diamond. When I say “an” issue, I don’t mean “an” I actually mean more than one issue.

Will build up the courage at some point to watch the highlights.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Neither Williams or James are a natural screen. Therein lies an issue if you play a diamond. When I say “an” issue, I don’t mean “an” I actually mean more than one issue.

Will build up the Dutch courage at some point to watch the highlights.

I suggest a stiff drink before you watch the first half.

Although I'm arguing for NP on the match day thread and I thought his post match interview was agreeable as always I would have liked him to acknowledge that he got some things wrong today.

Considering he said recently he takes the blame for playing players out of position there was nothing today to say playing Bell at right back was a bad decision.

Do you know what I’d have more respect if he actually admitted he got it wrong although he did say it was his team but blamed players for not covering Bell or doing their jobs.  We are where we are Nigel as you say all the time but you put us down a couple of places today.  If your going with a 4 go with 4 defenders.  If your going with a front sweeper then go with 3-5-2.   No mobility in midfield and James miles off it and missed energy of HNM whilst Williams offered little.  Then to compound it because of poor team selection he puts our 16 goal top scorer back to wing back. 

Now I can see progress but bar point deductions we would be right in the shit which is unacceptable.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Agree. Selection off today. Tried to match them uo and came off worse 1st half, forcing a needed reshuffle.

Had a weeks prep as well, which is a concern.

Which is all a worry if he is supposed to be a quality manager. 

Frankly, he has been more disappointing than the team this season.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

No-one was thrown under the Bus, Bell was given a game in the wrong position. In a position he struggled in last time out , and while I think he's a decent player, he's not a WB/FB. I don't understand why you play a striker at FB when you have an experienced one on the books. I don't care if you think you made a mistake giving him a contract, just play round pegs in round holes FFS. Poor kid looked lost, just like he did last time, it's not fair on him.
If the team is firing, may be. But we're not, good players are struggling, so someone making his way in the game in an unknown position is bound to find it hard. 

I don't understand what Nige is trying to do today.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

Injury or fitness aside, am i the only one who thinks James is pretty crap?!

Doesnt offer a great deal and im not buying his ‘experience’. 
Marlon Pack was a better midfielder, and though slow, makes James look like a snail!

• Haha 2

Pearsons post match comments suggest to me he is unable to control or affect the performance on the pitch. Still require probably 4 to 6 points. Without regeneration of this squad for next year it's only going one way, with or without a possible points deduction. Pearson may not fancy another season like this, or the club if they can afford it may look elsewhere.

My biggest concern is that we have two former top level defenders as manager/assistant but can’t stop conceding goals by the bucket load. This despite using at least 6 different centre backs and plenty of full backs/wing backs in different formations. He’s had 8 months of the season now to get a solid position to build from and they haven’t found it. 

• Like 3

Williams and James threw Bell under the bus big time. Bell was struggling but he had absolutely no support so could either close down a man and be passed around or stand off and be run at.

Once again we played at a lethargic pace that prevented us creating anything. If that’s our midfield next season we’re in trouble.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, KegCity said:

Williams and James threw Bell under the bus big time. Bell was struggling but he had absolutely no support so could either close down a man and be passed around or stand off and be run at.

Once again we played at a lethargic pace that prevented us creating anything. If that’s our midfield next season we’re in trouble.

To me, from some distance, it looked like Pearson was shouting at Kalas at one point and telling him that he should be positioned closer to Bell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I sensed real frustration from Scott too. He missed playing next to Massengo.

• Like 2

Agree with most of what’s been said. 
If we’re struggling at right back, the answer isn’t a complete novice striker. 
He’s previously put Dasilva there. Whilst I don’t particularly like that, if you’ve got a fit Pring for left back then why not keep Dasilva on the right. It’s better to have a player who’s played full back all his life to be over there, even if it’s on his wrong side! 
What I’d have done today at half time was to have Atkinson & Klose as Cb’s and I’d have pushed Kalas to right back. He’s played there lots before and would be comfortable there. For me, he’s our best option. Yes, it takes away from our CB strength, but you either trust Atkinson or you don’t, and with the experience of Klose now in there, you can more afford to move Kalas across. 

To be honest, Kalas is probably the best right back we currently have fit. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

To me, from some distance, it looked like Pearson was shouting at Kalas at one point and telling him that he should be positioned closer to Bell. 

The problem wasn’t the lack of cover from the centre back, it was the lack of cover from midfield. If we were supposed to be playing a diamond, with Weimann at the top of it, it just didn’t work. It just left a big hole in midfield that Williams had to cover, leaving Bell uncovered. Dasilva and Scott linked up well on the left, but most of the time James was playing BEHIND the central defenders. By definition that can’t be the midfield!!

Edited by Dr Balls
Spelling
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Which is all a worry if he is supposed to be a quality manager. 

Frankly, he has been more disappointing than the team this season.

Agree. He’s got a lot right but he’s also got a lot wrong. Have to wonder if he’s the right man to rebuild the club, but the wrong one to manage the team…

The summer is make or break. There’s no excuses after an important transfer window.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

It’s been very noticeable from the first game Bell came in at RB that Kalas is reticent to pass to him. If you watch the Boro game, there were multiple times TK had the ball and the easy pass to Bell was on but he turned and looked for Klose instead.

My guess is that he is unsure of Bells onward distribution so doesn’t want to play to him to invite trouble. If you’ve got the time, dig the Boro game out and it’s glaring.

With that in mind, I think Kalas is playing further off Bell as he expects him to be beaten but doesn’t want to overcommit and leave the man in the middle with too much space.

Condensed version: I don’t think Kalas rates Bell there and it’s leading to knock on problems

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree with most of what’s been said. 
If we’re struggling at right back, the answer isn’t a complete novice striker. 
He’s previously put Dasilva there. Whilst I don’t particularly like that, if you’ve got a fit Pring for left back then why not keep Dasilva on the right. It’s better to have a player who’s played full back all his life to be over there, even if it’s on his wrong side! 
What I’d have done today at half time was to have Atkinson & Klose as Cb’s and I’d have pushed Kalas to right back. He’s played there lots before and would be comfortable there. For me, he’s our best option. Yes, it takes away from our CB strength, but you either trust Atkinson or you don’t, and with the experience of Klose now in there, you can more afford to move Kalas across. 

To be honest, Kalas is probably the best right back we currently have fit. 

Tbf mate, as I understand it Klose was hooked as injured. Atkinson probably not up to fitness as yet so only good for the half. If all three fit though I’d agree with the above.

26 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Injury or fitness aside, am i the only one who thinks James is pretty crap?!

Doesnt offer a great deal and im not buying his ‘experience’. 
Marlon Pack was a better midfielder, and though slow, makes James look like a snail!

He’s not good enough,his experience means nowt if you literally can’t do a job,big Pearson fan but he has to take the flack when the older players he brought in are not up to the job 

His decisions are truly baffling, playing a young inexperienced striker at full back while the experienced Premiership full back he bought in is nowhere to be seen, playing two unfit midfielders while our best midfielder sits on the bench for 90 minutes, playing the divisions 4th highest scorer out wide, his stubborn refusal to not of used the loan market while most other teams in the division benefit massively (Forest’s three loanees last week were the best players on the pitch) his 12 month tenure has been a massive disappointment with very minimal progress.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s been very noticeable from the first game Bell came in at RB that Kalas is reticent to pass to him. If you watch the Boro game, there were multiple times TK had the ball and the easy pass to Bell was on but he turned and looked for Klose instead.

My guess is that he is unsure of Bells onward distribution so doesn’t want to play to him to invite trouble. If you’ve got the time, dig the Boro game out and it’s glaring.

With that in mind, I think Kalas is playing further off Bell as he expects him to be beaten but doesn’t want to overcommit and leave the man in the middle with too much space.

Condensed version: I don’t think Kalas rates Bell there and it’s leading to knock on problems

Absolutely this. All of our attacking in the first half, bar the last 5 minutes, came down the left with Klose, Dasilva and Scott. Given how easily Bell was robbed of the ball then it would seem that Kalas was absolutely right to be  cautious about passing to him. The kid clearly isn’t a defender, and lacks the strength to play at this level. Compare him to Scott who is a similar age, or Dasilva, who is considerably shorter, as the other full back and that lack of strength on the ball or in the tackle becomes really evident.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf mate, as I understand it Klose was hooked as injured. Atkinson probably not up to fitness as yet so only good for the half. If all three fit though I’d agree with the above.

Yep. Those were my thoughts at half time but then having seen Klose withdrawn it was clearly an injury, so couldn’t happen. I’d definitely be looking at Kalas for RB though going forward. 
unless of course Simpson becomes Lazarus 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

His decisions are truly baffling, playing a young inexperienced striker at full back while the experienced Premiership full back he bought in is nowhere to be seen, playing two unfit midfielders while our best midfielder sits on the bench for 90 minutes, playing the divisions 4th highest scorer out wide, his stubborn refusal to not of used the loan market while most other teams in the division benefit massively (Forest’s three loanees last week were the best players on the pitch) his 12 month tenure has been a massive disappointment with very minimal progress.

The lack of loans is a big question. I know we want to develop our own Academy talent, but many of them are not ready for this level of football, and one or two loans in January could have shored up a few problem areas, particularly right full back. Other clubs seem to benefit hugely from loans so why don’t we?