IGNORED

That ones on Nige today

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Absolutely this. All of our attacking in the first half, bar the last 5 minutes, came down the left with Klose, Dasilva and Scott. Given how easily Bell was robbed of the ball then it would seem that Kalas was absolutely right to be  cautious about passing to him. The kid clearly isn’t a defender, and lacks the strength to play at this level. Compare him to Scott who is a similar age, or Dasilva, who is considerably shorter, as the other full back and that lack of strength on the ball or in the tackle becomes really evident.

Frankly absurd decision to start that way, but also started like a pissed up pub team on a Sunday morning, and Pearson just stood there for 25 mins. Shocking lack of player reaction after each goal, casual acceptance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He was the worst player on the pitch by a country mile - even the Birmingham fans were singing about him.

Yes he’s young and I can forgive the useless defending but even in attack he was worse than useless - he simply couldn’t adjust to the game to affect it or complete a pass.

He should have been subbed much earlier.

He now needs a league 2 loan. Surely even HNM would have been better?

I don’t disagree - he was poor, but would you genuinely boo an 18 year old playing out of position having a bad game when he got subbed?

I also don’t disagree in that he should have gone off earlier. If he had gone off on 30 mins that’s a ‘this isn’t working kid let’s get you out of the firing line’. Subbing him off on 44 mins says ‘I can’t stand you being on this pitch another 3 minutes until half time’. Ones a bigger kick in the teeth than the other. 

Or maybe Pearson's interested in players who have a nightmare but come back next week better and stronger?

I'm sure he isn't deliberately picking teams to lose games or even picking players in positions he thinks they'll definitely be hopeless but, on the other hand, if they struggle and shrink he's learnt something going forward because for sure a Pearson team doesn't include snowflakes who fail to get going when the going gets tough.

Today, like the other games he's played RB, was an audition for Bell. It was Pearson asking the question, have you got what it takes? He's been asking the same question of Scott, Benarous, Semenyo, Tanner, Atkinson, O'Leary.

All the while trying to win games in one of the toughest leagues in the world. With a dysfunctional defence, non existent midfield and strikers that are the opposite of complimentary. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

If that was somebody that is a Pearson fan commenting on the game I would hate to think what your comments would have been had you not been, look he has had a lot of problems with who he has been able to select for what ever reason or another, personally today I saw in the first half at least what looked like a team that had no game plan or any idea what they were doing, I admit the second half was an improvement,  shame they left themselves too much to do and probably should have got something from the game but as too many times this season we didn't.  

Not convinced Bell will even make it as a striker at this level - in fact, I’ll be surprised if he does. Remember watching him at Forest Green and thinking he was miles off it. Other than being nippy (not lightening quick by any means), I don’t see anything in him at all. Sorry. Lives off his name abit with a few of the fans IMO. 

Even against a Coventry, where he was under no pressure whatsoever due to their standoff tactics, he didn’t want the ball and almost always took the very easy option of cutting back and giving it back to Kalas. To be honest, it was evident that the players didn’t want to give it to him anyway.

The fact that Pearson thinks he is our best option at RB is absolutely bizarre and extremely worrying.

Don’t agree with Matty James coming straight in either. Our young, mobile, energetic & athletic midfield has been one of the few positives lately. It allows us to play through teams and even put them on the back foot. No need to rip that up. I’d be delighted as an opposition manager to see James and Williams playing. Not going to break the lines too often that’s for sure. 

I’m losing patience with Pearson (AKA “Nige”). We’d be at serious risk of going down without all the points deductions and we’re not quite safe yet. 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 11
  • Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Or maybe Pearson's interested in players who have a nightmare but come back next week better and stronger?

I'm sure he isn't deliberately picking teams to lose games or even picking players in positions he thinks they'll definitely be hopeless but, on the other hand, if they struggle and shrink he's learnt something going forward because for sure a Pearson team doesn't include snowflakes who fail to get going when the going gets tough.

Today, like the other games he's played RB, was an audition for Bell. It was Pearson asking the question, have you got what it takes? He's been asking the same question of Scott, Benarous, Semenyo, Tanner, Atkinson, O'Leary.

All the while trying to win games in one of the toughest leagues in the world. With a dysfunctional defence, non existent midfield and strikers that are the opposite of complimentary. 

What hes doing is doing what Cotterill did - making statements of the squad to the board by means of stubborness and stupidity. 
He clearly knows who he wants out, has to make do currently with who we have, but is trying to make a point re the squad imo. 
With JL questioning performances and Nige publicly biting back, we have a very public tug of war going on which ( i hope ) Nige wins. 
JL/SL dont have a history of utilising tough managers clearly because they like control and dont know how to handle someone taking over their ‘nice’ Bristol City. I think in Nige theyve got something which they shouldve expected, but are uneasy about handling. 
Hopefully a summer of some funds invested and a few sales/frees/get rid ofs will go some way to giving Nige a squad he really wants.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, nickolas said:

What hes doing is doing what Cotterill did - making statements of the squad to the board by means of stubborness and stupidity. 
He clearly knows who he wants out, has to make do currently with who we have, but is trying to make a point re the squad imo. 
With JL questioning performances and Nige publicly biting back, we have a very public tug of war going on which ( i hope ) Nige wins. 
JL/SL dont have a history of utilising tough managers clearly because they like control and dont know how to handle someone taking over their ‘nice’ Bristol City. I think in Nige theyve got something which they shouldve expected, but are uneasy about handling. 
Hopefully a summer of some funds invested and a few sales/frees/get rid ofs will go some way to giving Nige a squad he really wants.

What is it with posters such as yourself that call him Nige? you make him sound like a personal friend of yours, he is a 50 odd year old man in charge of a football team in the championship his name is Nigel Pearson, shorten it to NP by all means but Nige, come on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree with most of what’s been said. 
If we’re struggling at right back, the answer isn’t a complete novice striker. 
He’s previously put Dasilva there. Whilst I don’t particularly like that, if you’ve got a fit Pring for left back then why not keep Dasilva on the right. It’s better to have a player who’s played full back all his life to be over there, even if it’s on his wrong side! 
What I’d have done today at half time was to have Atkinson & Klose as Cb’s and I’d have pushed Kalas to right back. He’s played there lots before and would be comfortable there. For me, he’s our best option. Yes, it takes away from our CB strength, but you either trust Atkinson or you don’t, and with the experience of Klose now in there, you can more afford to move Kalas across. 

To be honest, Kalas is probably the best right back we currently have fit. 

I wouldn’t have waited until half time. I would have changed it after ten minutes. Sam Bell should not be playing at right back. It’s a joke, frankly. He’s not good enough for the Championship yet in any position. This is not give-a-kid-a-game football. 
We wasted the whole first-half with tactics that were not working. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Not convinced Bell will even make it as a striker at this level - in fact, I’ll be surprised if he does. Remember watching him at Forest Green and thinking he was miles off it. Other than being nippy (not lightening quick by any means), I don’t see anything in him at all. Sorry. Lives off his name abit with a few of the fans IMO. 

Even against a Coventry, where he was under no pressure whatsoever due to their standoff tactics, he didn’t want the ball and almost always took the very easy option of cutting back and giving it back to Kalas. To be honest, it was evident that the players didn’t want to give it to him anyway.

The fact that Pearson thinks he is our best option at RB is absolutely bizarre and extremely worrying.

Don’t agree with Matty James coming straight in either. Our young, mobile, energetic & athletic midfield has been one of the few positives lately. It allows us to play through teams and even put them on the back foot. No need to rip that up. I’d be delighted as an opposition manager to see James and Williams playing. Not going to break the lines too often that’s for sure. 

I’m losing patience with Pearson (AKA “Nige”). We’d be at serious risk of going down without all the points deductions and we’re not quite safe yet. 

Totally agree about SB. I don’t see anything there at the moment in any position.

But youngsters can develop quickly. He’s only 18. But he should be nowhere near the first team at the moment. 

I'm really surprised Pearson hasn't come in for more stick, particularly online . I thought he was a very good appointment when you took him on, but I think a huge majority of City fans would have hoped to be in a better position than you are.

So what is it? Are City fans being incredibly patient with the belief that he, given time, will turn you into a play off challenging team, or is there just a 'meh' mid table malaise set in, where no one can really be too bothered about anything?

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm really surprised Pearson hasn't come in for more stick, particularly online . I thought he was a very good appointment when you took him on, but I think a huge majority of City fans would have hoped to be in a better position than you are.

So what is it? Are City fans being incredibly patient with the belief that he, given time, will turn you into a play off challenging team, or is there just a 'meh' mid table malaise set in, where no one can really be too bothered about anything?

It’s a weird one at the moment. We seem to take two steps forwards with him, look like turning a corner and then fall flat on our asses taking four steps back at the same time. 

My patience is starting to wear thin now. He’s identified all the problems but doesn’t appear able to fix them.  NP and CF we’re defenders yet we cannot defend for toffee.  

I don’t think a pre-season is going to change anything. And we aren’t going to have the wholesale recruitment needed. 

It’s all a bit meh.  And I’m starting to think he’s not the answer. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, VT05763 said:

One very disappointing and worrying part today was when Williams was down injured around 35 minutes and both sets of players went to their benches while he was treated. 

Bowyer a "busy bee" getting amongst his players and encouraging/organising, being a positive influence.

NP just stood there and after a bit had a quiet word with Kalas, 

He should have got to Bell and given him support/advice/help/hope !!!

and "rallied the troops" FFS !!

I'm actually wondering if Nigel is just sick of 'it' from a number of angles....and not bothered one way or another if he's here or gone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Totally agree about SB. I don’t see anything there at the moment in any position.

But youngsters can develop quickly. He’s only 18. But he should be nowhere near the first team at the moment. 

Surely we have players in the U23 squad that play at RB most games, would it not make more sense to play them at RB in the first team rather than exposing SB in a position that is probably alien to him?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I think that is something we need to be mindful of, it’s how he develops from here. As bad as yesterday was, he will of gained from it in some capacity, mentally more than anything I would imagine. I actually thought he was struggling physically more than anything, he looked leggy to me. This then leads to bad positional play, bad decisions etc etc. I also noticed that he seemed to be picking up back post positions for our attacking long throws & free kicks from the right, couldn’t understand this at all. He’s not exactly an aerial threat & adds to his load. Surely a more experienced head should of been telling him to just tuck in etc. Possibly more worrying is that it must of been a tactical instruction. COYR 

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pearson is losing a lot of tactical battles. Bowyer has a pretty average side there with injury problems. But he knew how to deal with our threats and exploit our weaknesses.

Matty James is a quality midfielder. He was fantastic for Barnsley and Coventry last season. I think he's mainly been good and consistent with us. It's his first game back. We looked all over the place again.

I wonder about the set up of our team more than the individuals. We have the players to beat a side like Birmingham at home imo. 

Though we would have better options if he had brought in a different right back to Simpson and a different midfielder to King. I'm not even sure a quality right back would have made the difference today. Bell was really poor but pretty much the whole team were.

Won tactical battle v Boro didn't he? But no one credited him with that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

I'm actually wondering if Nigel is just sick of 'it' from a number of angles....and not bothered one way or another if he's here or gone.

Yeah, you might be right. I’m starting to think get to end of the season & reassess the managerial situation.

I know we have financial constraints & NP has been brave to bring through youngsters but more often I keep thinking what a hungrier & progressive manager could bring to our squad.

There’s a whiff of apathy about us these days & it isn’t going away.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

There is a realisation from the majority of our fans that he took over at a very difficult time, plus having been in this division for a number of years we know full well how brutal it is.

Clubs who play in much lower standards that try & place false equivalence on beating sides that don’t have a hope of ever reaching this level don’t understand that.

The division below has Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich & Charlton in it, all clubs that would swap places with us tomorrow. Rotherham & Wigan are coming back but will undoubtedly struggle like Peterborough have.

He has certainly got stuff wrong, but having been down various cul de sacs in terms of appointments the majority are prepared to give him a bit longer to sort it out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There is a realisation from the majority of our fans that he took over at a very difficult time, plus having been in this division for a number of years we know full well how brutal it is.

Clubs who play in much lower standards that try & place false equivalence on beating sides that don’t have a hope of ever reaching this level don’t understand that.

The division below has Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich & Charlton in it, all clubs that would swap places with us tomorrow. Rotherham & Wigan are coming back but will undoubtedly struggle like Peterborough have.

He has certainly got stuff wrong, but having been down various cul de sacs in terms of appointments the majority are prepared to give him a bit longer to sort it out.

Well apart from this bit, that makes sense .

• Haha 1

I must admit I've been NP in for a long time, but the last month since Reading has really tested my stance to be honest, it's been extremely underwhelming. 
Sam Bell was bullied vs Coventry, was crazy to stick him out there again and Birmingham targeted this from the first minute. it then proceeded to be the worst half from us all season (in my opinion). We were actually on top in the Second half and then NP took off James for Wells, which we then totally lost a grip on winning the first and second ball in midfield, and then any kind of momentum we had. This against a team who were below us in the table and haven't won away since October.

I'm more frustrated when seeing the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Huddersfield, Blackpool all being far more competitive than we are this season and we're just content with staying where we are, utterly frustrating and infuriating. The last 3 seasons have been an utter waste of time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Neither Williams or James are a natural screen. Therein lies an issue if you play a diamond. When I say “an” issue, I don’t mean “an” I actually mean more than one issue.

Will build up the courage at some point to watch the highlights.

You'll have a job spotting any highlights.

Plenty of lows though.

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

I said during the game that both his player selection and formation didn't work.

Sam Bell has performed adequately in other games out of position, but here he was targeted and it has to be said fell to pieces. It wasn't just that we had no screen down our right flank. His forward forays suffered as he lost confidence and couldn't do the basic things. Falling over on the ball while in a promising position just about summed his afternoon up. 

They say "don't destroy the confidence of a young player" but I think leaving him on like that for a whole half probably destroyed it more. He should never have to be put in that position again. A loan to a team that will play him in his preferred role would be best for the lad.

As you say, the Wells sub was baffling. From the first minute we had a failing midfield with only Alex Scott providing forward momentum.  It was custom made for Massengo and Han was even warmed up and ready to come on at one point, but it appears NP changed his mind.

I honestly don't know what was going through his head as he watched the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

It’s a weird one at the moment. We seem to take two steps forwards with him, look like turning a corner and then fall flat on our asses taking four steps back at the same time. 

My patience is starting to wear thin now. He’s identified all the problems but doesn’t appear able to fix them.

maybe we don’t have the players, the mindset, etc to fix them?

NP and CF we’re defenders yet we cannot defend for toffee.

honestly think that is irrelevant, both were top level defenders, one an international at a time Ireland had good full-backs.  I bet neither can believe some of the goals we concede.

I don’t think a pre-season is going to change anything. And we aren’t going to have the wholesale recruitment needed. 

It’s all a bit meh.  And I’m starting to think he’s not the answer. 
I agree it is a bit meh.  Poster’s view will be formed by many things and whether you think he’s doing well / bad in lines with your expectations or not.  I’m the more patient fan, doesn’t make me right or wrong, it’s just where I sit on this.  The financial side that influences so much is a car crash.  @JoeAman08once said I look at too much with a £-sign lens on it.  To some extent he’s right, but to me it’s driving everything. Ever conversation re contracts or windows comes back to it.  Pearson has lopped off 20% of the costs, and we are still battling FFP.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Surely we have players in the U23 squad that play at RB most games, would it not make more sense to play them at RB in the first team rather than exposing SB in a position that is probably alien to him?

The answer to that imho from watching most u23 games on Robinstv this season is that actually we don’t.  Z.Bell, Leeson and Taylor are the candidates.  I don’t think anyone who regularly watches the u23s would suggest they could come in.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think we won a tactical battle in that game. Lots of last ditch defending, saves by Bentley and bad misses from them.

Bentley, Kalas, Klose and with Williams in front of them were all excellent. And they really had to be excellent with how poor we defend as a team. And their defence could not cope with Semenyo. 

It was a good win of course, but even Pearson said we were not at our best.

You could argue there was a lot of that from Brum second half yesterday?  Not deflecting away from a poor overall performance, just that we need to be fair / consistent with our views.

Playing Bell out of position was a mistake, he looks lost and devoid of confidence. That he moans about no cover for Bell is interesting. He could help him out by going 4-4-2, but we don't play a covering player as such, so you are relying on others to work back. If he wants cover, surely they have worked on it in training. Whatever way you look at it, it's down to Pearson.

TBH that's one small part of another bad day. A midfield that I was looking forward to seeing in place, didn't do it. The front 3 isn't working (However they set up it's 3 strikers), I'd go with AS & AW as a pair. 

If Klose is fit, and Atkinson has no reaction, I'd go with a back 4 of 

Kalas - Klose - Atkinson - Pring/DaSilva

Round pegs, round holes.

I'd play all of Massengo, James, Williams and Scott. We could get away with a narrower MF if we play proper experienced FB's. Scott does his best work in an attacking role and with the other 3 we would have legs and experience. 
We've tried an attacker, a left back , an attacking midfielder , why not try someone who has actually done that job before ?

I know it's a big job, but you start to wonder if with the same players, someone else might do better. These questions are inevitable, when you watch what is like Groundhog Day, without the smiles.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Playing Bell out of position was a mistake, he looks lost and devoid of confidence. That he moans about no cover for Bell is interesting. He could help him out by going 4-4-2, but we don't play a covering player as such, so you are relying on others to work back. If he wants cover, surely they have worked on it in training. Whatever way you look at it, it's down to Pearson.

TBH that's one small part of another bad day. A midfield that I was looking forward to seeing in place, didn't do it. The front 3 isn't working (However they set up it's 3 strikers), I'd go with AS & AW as a pair. 

If Klose is fit, and Atkinson has no reaction, I'd go with a back 4 of 

Kalas - Klose - Atkinson - Pring/DaSilva

Round pegs, round holes.

I'd play all of Massengo, James, Williams and Scott. We could get away with a narrower MF if we play proper experienced FB's. Scott does his best work in an attacking role and with the other 3 we would have legs and experience. 
We've tried an attacker, a left back , an attacking midfielder , why not try someone who has actually done that job before ?

I know it's a big job, but you start to wonder if with the same players, someone else might do better. These questions are inevitable, when you watch what is like Groundhog Day, without the 

Rather than playing SB out of position and senior players not proving cover as NP moaned about post match, why didn't he just take a RB from the U23s . 

At least it would have been a round peg in a round hole.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

The answer to that imho from watching most u23 games on Robinstv this season is that actually we don’t.  Z.Bell, Leeson and Taylor are the candidates.  I don’t think anyone who regularly watches the u23s would suggest they could come in.

You could argue there was a lot of that from Brum second half yesterday?  Not deflecting away from a poor overall performance, just that we need to be fair / consistent with our views.

You’ve forgotten the narrative, lucky whenever we win.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Rather than playing SB out of position and senior players not proving cover as NP moaned about post match, why didn't he just take a RB from the U23s . 

At least it would have been a round peg in a round hole.

To my untrained eye, there isn’t anyone near ready.

No sure if Leeson (just turned 18) is injured, but he’s rarely been involved with the u23s, although is a Wales age-group international.  Well thought of I believe.

James Taylor (20) is a steady Eddie at u23s.  Played predominantly as a RCB3, and my own view is that when he’s played RB he lacks pace and gets exposed.  I would seriously fear for him playing RB in our first team.

Zach Bell (just turned 18) has only recently started getting minutes in the u23s. Looks promising.

Sam Pearson had played a fair bit at RWB last season.

NP’s been accorded some latitude, compared to other managers of struggling sides, but SL realises he’s been given less than a fraction of the resources given to LJ, who simply failed to grasp the opportunity. LJ regularly had his best players sold from under him, and this is not something NP has had to deal with yet, though I expect this may well happen in the summer. So whatever happens during the rest of this desperate season- which somehow seems more depressing than the numerous relegations I’ve witnessed since 1972- NP will be given more time and, hopefully, a bit of cash to spend. I’ve been angry and depressed about this season, but ultimately SL is a fair bloke and giving NP another season(at least) seems fair.

• Like 2

Pearson was fortunate last season in terms of inheriting the points Dean Holden picked up at the start of the season.  This season he has been fortunate with teams below having points deduction. So without those two factors his two seasons have been relegation form. 

I still think he deserves another season for the following reasons:-

He has played youngsters and got the best out of Scott, Massengo and Semenyo transforming their total value from negligible to potentially well over £30m.

The football is better than the latter stages of LJ's and Dean's time here.

The key issue for me is how well can NP use the cash from any windfall from the sale of one or two of the young player, cuts from transfer moves for Webster and Kelly and moving on the likes of Wells and Palmer.  That's my biggest concern as the three Leicester players brought in have been poor and used up flexibility to do much else with the squad. Despite FPP  restraints NP could have a fair amount to play with. How well will he use it?

• Like 5