IGNORED

That ones on Nige today

Silvio Dante

20 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Rather than playing SB out of position and senior players not proving cover as NP moaned about post match, why didn't he just take a RB from the U23s . 

At least it would have been a round peg in a round hole.

Not sure they would be ready, I like the look of Taylor for U23's, but it would be a big step in one go.
I did wonder if he might throw Idehen in, CB by trade, but at least he would be a defensive player. Plus he's physically big enough.

16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

I fully agree.

Bell to start instead of Pring (Nigels naughty seat gone too far)

James is too fat and knows he gets picked whenever he can make 1 lap of the pitch. he basically hid as a extra centre half leaving a massive space in front of him.

Team looked light they resented something. No tempo, no aggression, no movement off the ball, back to the end of last season, 5 passes across the back then a huge hoof.

We saw a few games with nice movement passing and good football. Where did that go? Bentley just doesn't seem interested in playing out from the back.

Set pieces. When was the last time we saw anything vaguely practised from the training ground

NP's arrogance is really starting to grate.

Clearly set the team up wrong and waited far too long to change it

Took off James and put on a forward making the team completely top heavy. Clearly Massengo has a few more weeks in detention before is is allowed to play again.

Nige doesn't like loans but weekend after week loan players help beat us. Who would not love to see another Tammy?

Was Semenyo fit? His body language was awful and he spent most of the game stood offside.

Sorry your comments about THEM is getting boring. Lets start hearing some comments about your mistakes and shortcomings Nige

19 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Pearson was fortunate last season in terms of inheriting the points Dean Holden picked up at the start of the season.  This season he has been fortunate with teams below having points deduction. So without those two factors his two seasons have been relegation form. 

I still think he deserves another season for the following reasons:-

He has played youngsters and got the best out of Scott, Massengo and Semenyo transforming their total value from negligible to potentially well over £30m.

The football is better than the latter stages of LJ's and Dean's time here.

The key issue for me is how well can NP use the cash from any windfall from the sale of one or two of the young player, cuts from transfer moves for Webster and Kelly and moving on the likes of Wells and Palmer.  That's my biggest concern as the three Leicester players brought in have been poor and used up flexibility to do much else with the squad. Despite FPP  restraints NP could have a fair amount to play with. How well will he use it?

Was yesterday really much better than the LJ and DH product? Looked really similar to me

Not too sure about giving NP money with 3 of his Leicester mates stealing a living at the moment.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Birmingham are a pretty poor side

As are we.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

In the Boro game the way Boro moved our midfield and defence around 2nd half, they had much more space in good positions to punish us.

Boro are a better side than us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

The key issue for me is how well can NP use the cash from any windfall from the sale of one or two of the young player, cuts from transfer moves for Webster and Kelly and moving on the likes of Wells and Palmer... How well will he use it?

Yep, this summer's transfer business will define NP's future here and our place in this division. 

Get it wrong and we're looking at a relegation battle and a new manager.  Which is why I'd generate as much cash for him to spend as possible. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, this summer's transfer business will define NP's future here and our place in this division. 

Get it wrong and we're looking at a relegation battle and a new manager.  Which is why I'd generate as much cash for him to spend as possible. 

It might define more that we have to make do with what we’ve got. ???

If we have another tailspin season end then I reckon Nige will be struggling.  His record is terrible and he seems so  to lack the three key qualities of a football manager: motivation/man management, tactics and recruitment.

It’s only City’s perilous finances and SL’s reluctance to sack someone on a 3yr deal which will save him.

Massively overrated on here .   Next year will be a struggle unless SL makes some hard decisions over the summer.

I’d vote for a new hungry lower league manager with modern ideas

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Boro are a better side than us.

Having been at the 'Gate for all home fixtures, and on VPN travel for most away games it appears to me the other 23 teams look better than us.

We've not dominated significantly in one single game. I thought the best we looked was Preston away, and even there we did our customary last minute capitulation.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's a polite way of telling you to piss off back to where you belong.

I was genuinely interested to know why Pearson hasn't got the stick that other managers - at all clubs- probably would have. If I was after cringy banter I would have gone on the dustbin thread :)

16 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was genuinely interested to know why Pearson hasn't got the stick that other managers - at all clubs- probably would have. If I was after cringy banter I would have gone on the dustbin thread :)

Perhaps because most supporters realise he took on the club in a shit position - players on big wages who weren't performing or had never performed - and is trying a total rebuild on absolutely no money. Splash the cash and no ifs or buts, we will face a points deduction.

Those mitigating factors aside, there is no reason why we shouldn't criticise Pearson on the odd occasion when he gets things totally wrong, as he did yesterday.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Perhaps because most supporters realise he took on the club in a shit position - players on big wages who weren't performing or had never performed - and is trying a total rebuild on absolutely no money. Splash the cash and no ifs or buts, we will face a points deduction.

Those mitigating factors aside, there is no reason why we shouldn't criticise Pearson on the odd occasion when he gets things totally wrong, as he did yesterday.

Yep that’s fair.  Balanced criticism of NP is absolutely due from yesterday’s performance, as he himself said very openly in the post match interviews. We were nowhere near good enough yesterday in nearly all facets of the game and the way Bell was left to fend the right hand side was especially crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

Pearson was fortunate last season in terms of inheriting the points Dean Holden picked up at the start of the season.  This season he has been fortunate with teams below having points deduction. So without those two factors his two seasons have been relegation form. 

He has played youngsters and got the best out of Scott, Massengo and Semenyo transforming their total value from negligible to potentially well over £30m.

The key issue for me is how well can NP use the cash from any windfall from the sale of one or two of the young player, cuts from transfer moves for Webster and Kelly and moving on the likes of Wells and Palmer.  That's my biggest concern as the three Leicester players brought in have been poor and used up flexibility to do much else with the squad. Despite FPP  restraints NP could have a fair amount to play with. How well will he use it?

The football may be (just) better that the latter stages of Johnson’s or Holden’s tenure, but nowhere near what Johnson achieved in 2017, or even under Holden in this first three months.

Has he got the best out of Massengo?  I don’t think so…

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist

I know I always stick up for him, but yesterday shows how crucial HNM is to us playing well. We need someone in the midfield who will play dynamically and break the lines, I thought Scott would try and do that but he faded out of the game. Was really surprised HNM wasn’t introduced as we were clearly lacking in midfield from minute one. Far too many people underrate him, we’ve not had a midfield performance quite that poor with him in the side.

We need another player of that ilk. If Massengo doesn’t sign a new deal we need two. That for me would be number one priority in the summer, although there’s plenty of areas that need addressing. We cannot start next season with that midfield and expect to survive comfortably.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The football may be (just) better that the latter stages of Johnson’s or Holden’s tenure, but nowhere near what Johnson achieved in 2017, or even under Holden in this first three months.

Has he got the best out of Massengo?  I don’t think so…

He’s playing his best football since he arrived so he’s doing better than Holden and LJ. There’s more to come from him though, he’ll improve when he has better players around him that want the ball.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure they would be ready, I like the look of Taylor for U23's, but it would be a big step in one go.
I did wonder if he might throw Idehen in, CB by trade, but at least he would be a defensive player. Plus he's physically big enough.

Idehen is left footed & a CB, Cundy is also a CB but right footed but wasn’t part of the squad.

These 2 aren’t defenders who look like they could “do a job” at full back to me, plus of course it would be a debut at this level for Idehen & Cundy’s first ever start at it.

The plan at RB in the summer was Simpson & Vyner competing for the shirt, they are both fit but completely out of favour, which alongside Tanner’s injury is why we find ourselves where we do.

Pearson was right afterwards to point out Tanner is still learning at this level, but if he was fit I still think he’d be starting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Having been at the 'Gate for all home fixtures, and on VPN travel for most away games it appears to me the other 23 teams look better than us.

We've not dominated significantly in one single game. I thought the best we looked was Preston away, and even there we did our customary last minute capitulation.

Look at the table, that’s just a ridiculous comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolman1973 said:

If we have another tailspin season end then I reckon Nige will be struggling.  His record is terrible and he seems so  to lack the three key qualities of a football manager: motivation/man management, tactics and recruitment.

It’s only City’s perilous finances and SL’s reluctance to sack someone on a 3yr deal which will save him.

Massively overrated on here .   Next year will be a struggle unless SL makes some hard decisions over the summer.

I’m struggling to understand what you might be getting at with the comment above.  Would you mind elaborating, please, e.g. what type of hard decisions?

Re your final paragraph, does one of those hard decisions mean replacing Pearson?  Any ideas who you would go for?

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Look at the table, that’s just a ridiculous comment.

Not really. The table reflects how teams do when playing against each other.

They've all looked pretty tidy playing against us, in my view.

Even when we win we don't look very convincing, and in most games the last 15mins or so resembles Custer's last stand!

49 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think the sooner fans- and I'm not talking specifically about City here-  learn to have a bit more patience the better, the managerial merry go round has become ridiculous.  Club owners get desperate , make awful decisions , I suspect largely driven by what they hear through social media,  and we see managers who were heroes losing their job within weeks of a few bad results.

No one knows whether Pearson will work out for you or not, but in a season that is pretty much over for you, the logical thing would be to give him time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think the sooner fans- and I'm not talking specifically about City here-  learn to have a bit more patience the better, the managerial merry go round has become ridiculous.  Club owners get desperate , make awful decisions , I suspect largely driven by what they hear through social media,  and we see managers who were heroes losing their job within weeks of a few bad results.

No one knows whether Pearson will work out for you or not, but in a season that is pretty much over for you, the logical thing would be to give him time.

You only need to look at your own club.  No matter whether I think your manager is a thug, blinkered in post-match interviews etc, it would’ve been very easy to pull the plug on him.  You haven’t, and you are starting to see the turnaround.

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Idehen is left footed & a CB, Cundy is also a CB but right footed but wasn’t part of the squad.

These 2 aren’t defenders who look like they could “do a job” at full back to me, plus of course it would be a debut at this level for Idehen & Cundy’s first ever start at it.

The plan at RB in the summer was Simpson & Vyner competing for the shirt, they are both fit but completely out of favour, which alongside Tanner’s injury is why we find ourselves where we do.

Pearson was right afterwards to point out Tanner is still learning at this level, but if he was fit I still think he’d be starting.

My point was more to get a defender in a defensive position. I'm a bit fed up with XYZ doing a job. I must admit, I thought Idehen was right footed, I thought he might be mobile enough to be worth trying. We've had plenty of CB's who had good spells at RB. I think it's short sighted not giving Vyner another run, rather than playing a striker as a make shift defender IMO. 

We were always going to need another RB, even if Vyner could cover I still see his best position as RCB. Simpson was going whatever and went  end up stuck with players that could play RB, not even being given a chance.
The next step must surely be Kalas to RB. Play Vyner RCB , with Klose along side him he can coach him through. Pearson says play well and keep the shirt, we haven't had anyone play well at RB (or anywhere else) for a while. We are desperate, surely Vyner could be given another go. Not like some of the ones now playing haven't stunk the place up at times.

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Preamble: I’m a Pearson fan, we’re better than we were and we have developed a lot of the younger players. Under current financial circumstances I’m still glass half full.

However, today, he got it wrong. Matty James was an embarrassment - I can only assume not fully fit, but even with that, he didn’t even hit basic standards. The job he had as the back lying midfielder was twofold - first in screening/covering - which he didn’t do - and second in the picking up and distributing. He was slow on that, ponderous and meant by the time he had made a passing decision, the options had gone - it was a bad selection, fullstop, and the hooking indicates he wasn’t fit.

So, if he’s not fit, why also play Williams, who is coming back to fitness? Again, I’m a Joe fan - but he was poor today. However, what do you expect with a non fit player beside him as opposed to Massengo. It was a shocking combined decision.

Then, the actual subbing of James. Needed to go, but putting Wells on was insane. We ended up with four strikers, one of whom ended up at right back - and created nothing after we put the four on. We destroyed our shape like the worst days of Holden.

I think Bell was thrown under a bus today by more senior players. But the upshot for me is the manager got it wrong.

I agree 100% with this and whilst I haven’t read the thread I am sure everybody will agree.

So why, as an experienced coach, did Pearson think playing James and Williams and dropping Massengo and playing Bell at RB was a good idea? My son and I were perplexed when we heard the line up as were others we spoke to. 

Genuine question. 

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Was yesterday really much better than the LJ and DH product? Looked really similar to me

Not too sure about giving NP money with 3 of his Leicester mates stealing a living at the moment.

Pearson’s win ratio is 1 in 4. (25%)

Recent previous managers have a better record than that.

2 hours ago, Dolman1973 said:

My thoughts exactly- far too many I think looking at his experience and previous track record thinking he can replicate it here. 

His tenure thus far has been entirely underwhelming.

Yesterdays man maybe!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pillred said:

What is it with posters such as yourself that call him Nige? you make him sound like a personal friend of yours, he is a 50 odd year old man in charge of a football team in the championship his name is Nigel Pearson, shorten it to NP by all means but Nige, come on.

What is it with posters reacting like a complete pr!ck to a post on a forum full of opinions. Bet you’re fun at parties and your wife really loves you. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Yes, the signings of Simpson and King were laughable. And I'm not being wise after the event. I said it at the time. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m struggling to understand what you might be getting at with the comment above.  Would you mind elaborating, please, e.g. what type of hard decisions?

Re your final paragraph, does one of those hard decisions mean replacing Pearson?  Any ideas who you would go for?

What do you think of Paul Warne, Dave?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You only need to look at your own club.  No matter whether I think your manager is a thug, blinkered in post-match interviews etc, it would’ve been very easy to pull the plug on him.  You haven’t, and you are starting to see the turnaround.

Exactly, and considering Tisdale only got 10 games, Barton  has got lucky . To be fair to him, this team do look like they have a bit about them and obviously I'm pleased about that, but they went down with a whimper last season and that was on Barton's watch. Anyway, I digress, I think clubs absolutely should give managers more time, it might work out and it might not , but they deserve time.

Of course, one downside of managers being given more time and it not working out, is that forums will be full of ******* saying 'I said we should have sacked him ages ago', conveniently forgetting that they say that about every bleedin manager the club have ever had.

• Like 4