IGNORED

How “safe” are we

fanjita

25 minutes ago, fanjita said:

All i wish for was that other teams points deductions don’t effect our position, all I hear from my Gas supporting mates is “ you’re lucky that Derby and Reading have had points deducted “

Well tell them that not being behind clubs who cheated is a good thing. They were getting an unfair advantage and got caught, that's not luck that's the rules.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fanjita said:

All i wish for was that other teams points deductions don’t effect our position, all I hear from my Gas supporting mates is “ you’re lucky that Derby and Reading have had points deducted “

They don’t, we are above 5 sides even with that taken into account.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fanjita said:

Thick then aren’t they? 

I bet last season they were saying “ye but listen SHITHEAD u r lukY u woN ur first 4 gAmes...”

Just tell them how lucky they are for playing village sides every week otherwise they’d be rooted to the bottom of L1 getting dicked by the likes of Accrington Stanley again.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Glad to see we stopped the free fall yesterday.Another 3 points should do it.?

I thought yesterday might be the first time this season we went 4-winless, but the running theme is we keep getting a 3-point result at least every 4 games.  It leads to frustration that we can’t get back to back wins and some momentum.  We’ve only built a run once this season.

F441DF8B-13F6-4315-88AD-F96D5D3FC74B.jpeg.dd10e6dc398dd568607b9a0e33ae57b1.jpeg

And besides this, only twice have we followed up a win with a draw.

After Derby (h), drew with Hull (a).

After Cardiff (h), drew with Preston (a).

But at least we haven’t gone on 8 games losing / winless runs.

Yesterday was a good sign the players don’t want the season to end with a whimper.  Pearson and Tinnion both mentioned yesterday that players and staff were upset by how last season ended.  That’s a small positive for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Safe as houses, For us to go down if we lost every one of our nine remaining games two of the following need to happen:

Posh win seven out of ten

WRDC win six and draw one out of nine

Barnsley win six out of ten

Reading win five out of ten

I doubt bookies are even offering odds.

Add to this the fact that Barnsley play Reading, Swansea and Posh, Reading play Barnsley, Hull and Cardiff, Cardiff play Swansea Reading, Hull, Birmingham and Derby, Hull play Cardiff, Swansea, Reading and us, Derby play us and Cardiff, Birmingham play Swansea and Cardiff, Posh play us , Barnsley and Swansea and Swansea play Posh, Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull and Barnsley, there are probably no permutations by which we go down, mathematically.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yesterday was a good sign the players don’t want the season to end with a whimper.  Pearson and Tinnion both mentioned yesterday that players and staff were upset by how last season ended.  That’s a small positive for me.

Lots of little goals they can set themselves, staying up notwithstanding points deductions (personally don’t think we’re ‘lucky’ to have teams with points deductions, but can silence some who’d snipe), middle 8, top half. We may not achieve them, but hopefully aligns with the view of being unhappy with last season’s  whimper. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

WBA and Bournemouth after the break. Might be a tad closer to the bottom 3 after those 2.

Maybe but I honestly don't see any of the teams in the bottom 3 at the moment ending the season on more points than us, we will pick up at least a couple more unexpected wins it's been how our season had been this year, 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Maybe but I honestly don't see any of the teams in the bottom 3 at the moment ending the season on more points than us, we will pick up at least a couple more unexpected wins it's been how our season had been this year, 

It doesn't matter if we don't get another point (not from a safety point of view), we are safe as milk,how many more times ?

On 05/03/2022 at 20:26, fanjita said:

If we assume Peterborough and Derby are all but down, Derby 16 points behind on same number of games, Peterborough 19 points behind having 2 games in hand on us, Barnsley look like the only worry.

leaving out their result today they had found a bit of form lately, with 2 games in hand on us and we still have to play them it may not be as comfortable as some may think.

I will be happy when we are mathematically safe.

Safety this season is pretty much guaranteed.  However next season I would imagine we'll be right in the thick of a relegation battle all season.  If we keep our current best players there won't be much money in the pot. If we sell some then who do we bring in? Coupled with the fact that we may have to find another manager as well (if NP walks). Then we could be on the back foot from the start.  I appreciate there are 2 camps for NP, but in my opinion I think he's still the right guy for the job.  But christ we need some decent fresh blood.  (Especially across the back 4)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd be quite interested to see how many of those saying that we'll be in a relegation battle next season were saying exactly the same thing before the start of this one?

I think a lot of those predictions were pre the points deductions for Derby and Reading.  If those hadn’t happened I think we would be

52 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think a lot of those predictions were pre the points deductions for Derby and Reading.  If those hadn’t happened I think we would be

Neither had their FFP points deductions at the start of the season!  Both decisions were in November.  Derby didn't enter administration until Sept 22nd.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Neither had their FFP points deductions at the start of the season!  Both decisions were in November.  Derby didn't enter administration until Sept 22nd.

Yep. Most predictions of a relegation battle were made before that. 

Interesting to see your post about keeping Johnson. I was one of his biggest fans and I hear a growing number saying maybe he wasn’t as bad as they thought.  He made mistakes and one of them was always looking for new players (or accepting new players). I would love to chat to him about his time here and what he would do differently.  I do think with a better person above him it wouldn’t have all fallen apart. 

As mentioned before, I would give Pearson until Xmas and then take stock but I am always pessimistic of a manager who cannot improve things. Being able to identify the problems is the easy part and wins no brownie points from me 

• Haha 1

A bit controversial but, would supporters like to see a City team continually struggling in the Championship or be in division one and see us winning a few games? 
For me, I want to see my team playing attractive football and winning, something that’s been missing at Ashton Gate for some considerable time, I know that isn’t a given even in League one but it probably increases the chances of that happening.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Interesting to see your post about keeping Johnson. I was one of his biggest fans and I hear a growing number saying maybe he wasn’t as bad as they thought.  He made mistakes and one of them was always looking for new players (or accepting new players). I would love to chat to him about his time here and what he would do differently.  I do think with a better person above him it wouldn’t have all fallen apart. 

I liked him.

I also disliked him.

Lots of good reasons for and against.

Like you, and I posted many times on the subject, we missed a “football man” above him to rein him in.

Unfortunately we had a complete “see you next Tuesday” above him.  I ducking hate Ashton for what he was allowed to do to our club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I'd be quite interested to see how many of those saying that we'll be in a relegation battle next season were saying exactly the same thing before the start of this one?

Pretty much all of them, I think.

Truth is we can all make predictions but no one knows if they will be right.

Who had Scott down to start 28 games with 8 still to go? 
Huddersfield to do so well? Stoke so poorly?

Until we know who stays, leaves & joins in the summer, plus if anyone gets a points deduction, it is finger in the air stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Until we know who stays, leaves & joins in the summer, plus if anyone gets a points deduction, it is finger in the air stuff.

I think that’s why I’m nervous at the mo’….we cannot predict anything until we see contracts signed or not, players sold, etc, etc.  it’s a big uncertain period.