IGNORED

Historical dislike of Chelski

23 hours ago, The Batman said:

If that was the case, we'd have been doing it for ages for all conflicts across the world. All of a sudden one of our enemies does it and its now in all grounds. I understand the point that you're making, I just think it leaves the door open for a path I don't want it to go down. But maybe this is just modern football. 

The Chelsea fans shouldn't have put in a position where'd they felt the need to do it but I get your point. 

Remembrance day is once a year and does appear to be the "go to" example for people talking about political things in football. It's not a dig at you by any means. Minute silences are common now or applauses, whichever seems more appropriate. 

Fully agree with your last point. The issue with political broadcasts is that depending on the escalation of the war in Ukraine, it may come to a time where mp's speak before a game. Whether that's the local constituency mp or a recorded message by the PM. Outside the ground then can do what they like, inside the ground, no thank you. If clubs do intend to put political messages across then it could lead to things like this. Hopefully not but maybe I just think worst case scenario. 

Apologies if I'm not making my point clear, Sunday morning after all ?

I agree with this statement.

Whether you agree or not with the sentiment or message is not the point. If you make a justure like this or taking the knee or supporting any other issue then you have to give others the right to disagree. 

I heard an interesting article on the news this morning where a Russian gymnast won a medal at some event over the weekend and wore a t-shirt with a pro Russian slogan. He is being investigated. But if you can wear a pro Ukranian why not a pro Russian t-shirt. If we start only allowing the things someone thinks is acceptable then we become Russia or worse George Orwells vision 1984.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I agree with this statement.

Whether you agree or not with the sentiment or message is not the point. If you make a justure like this or taking the knee or supporting any other issue then you have to give others the right to disagree. 

I heard an interesting article on the news this morning where a Russian gymnast won a medal at some event over the weekend and wore a t-shirt with a pro Russian slogan. He is being investigated. But if you can wear a pro Ukranian why not a pro Russian t-shirt. If we start only allowing the things someone thinks is acceptable then we become Russia or worse George Orwells vision 1984.

I've just seen it. The z emblem. 

People can try and put the toothpaste back in the tube but tough.

If people are happy with political statements at sporting events, they'll have to see one's they don't agree with too. And they can't moan about it. 

Me, I have a blanket dislike for all of them, even if I do agree with it. Not for me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

They aren't equivalents. One is the attacker, one the aggressor. It isn't a war that just 'broke out'. It's an unjustifiable invasion. 

One is like wearing a Swastika in the 1930s, the other like wearing a Star of David in the 1930s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

They aren't equivalents. One is the attacker, one the aggressor. It isn't a war that just 'broke out'. It's an unjustifiable invasion. 

One is like wearing a Swastika in the 1930s, the other like wearing a Star of David in the 1930s. 

Well said. Vital distinction.

On 07/03/2022 at 12:00, The Batman said:

I've just seen it. The z emblem. 

People can try and put the toothpaste back in the tube but tough.

If people are happy with political statements at sporting events, they'll have to see one's they don't agree with too. And they can't moan about it. 

Me, I have a blanket dislike for all of them, even if I do agree with it. Not for me. 

Haven’t the IOC recently announced that it will allow athletes to make political statements/publicise issues from the podium. 

Opening a potential can of worms?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

So, aside from not producing programmes and no “on the day” sales (assumedly including away fans - which may even advantage Chelsea), it’s a bit BAU for this season. Possibly exception of Champions League - although fans may have contractual option to buy if hold ST, as that’s not revenue/sale agreed yet (as the game is theoretical), I read that those are behind closed doors.

The big hit is in the summer - can’t take new deals in Sponsorship, sell next seasons tickets (so behind closed doors until sale) can’t receive (as I read it) any money from a TV deal that isn’t in place currently. Not sure from that how it impacts contract renewals/sales of players in future - I think it looks like an embargo as the fees weren’t agreed pre sanction.

Its late, but at least it’s there

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So no new player transfers, no new contracts, no merchandise sales, no new ticket sales (including away tickets!). If it goes on into next season they won't be allowed to sell ST's for then either. But they can sell food/drink.

Worth noting - this license is only until the end of May and feels like it is clearly designed to allow this season to finish "normally". You get the feeling beyond that it might be truly frozen and not able to trade at all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TomF said:

So two weeks late and Roman will have moved all his money out of the UK in that time. 

Difficult to move property, ownership of his UK business empire and Chelsea itself, Tom

A big chunk of his dirty money stays here and hopefully will eventually go towards building new hospitals to replace the ones his murdering friend has demolished.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

He should never have been allowed to take ownership of a UK football club. Definitely not a "fit and proper" person. 

In 1990, he had a market stall in Moscow selling Russian dolls, in 1992 he went to prison for a year for stealing state assets, by 1995 he is a billionaire in charge of the entire Russian denationalised aluminium industry and its second largest oil company. At no point would he and Berezovsky have had the assets to buy the refineries,  mines, resources that they "acquired". In his rise are murdered aluminium and oil workers, murdered commodity brokers and murdered journalists who investigated the racket. 

He's perhaps the biggest crook to ever own an English club, and considering Maxwell, Oyston and some of the other previous owners, I don't make that statement lightly. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

So no new player transfers, no new contracts, no merchandise sales, no new ticket sales (including away tickets!). If it goes on into next season they won't be allowed to sell ST's for then either. But they can sell food/drink.

Considering most of their support are ST holders and they would be selling their old kit in the shop, I can't see that it would cause particular short term pain but, as you say, next season and renewals is a totally different matter.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Haven’t the IOC recently announced that it will allow athletes to make political statements/publicise issues from the podium. 

Opening a potential can of worms?

That'll be good when Russia win gold, silver and bronze in some event. (Or whatever they'll be called)

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Food and drink would be sold  by franchisee's wouldn't it? Presumably they don't have to pay for their franchise anymore though? :)

Listened to Talksport earlier, when they had a reporter at Stamford Bridge, as Chelsea fans were gathering to find out what was happening.

They interviewed an 18/19 year old supporter. After saying that he couldn't see what events thousands of miles had to do with his football club!!, he then went on to say that not being to buy tickets and therefore being unable to attend games would be bad for his mental health.

Got me thinking that were this to happen to us, not being to go to AG would probably improve most City fans’ mental health!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Chelsea and Manchester City, the current giants of English (Russian & Arabic) football have never won a League match at Ashton Gate. Conversely, City have never won a league game at Chelsea.

Those records are unlikely to be threatened for the foreseeable future! :mellow:

On 06/03/2022 at 11:50, Red-Robbo said:

I've never liked Chelsea either. En masse their fans are unbearable big-time Charlies with a high quotient of Cockney Wankaaah types. 

Everything about the club from its position in London, to its various horrible owners, to the colour it plays in, to the various West Country saddos who "support" it,  gets my goat.

That said, I've known some decent genuine Chelsea fans. Like any horrible club, the G*s for example, they can have the odd nice albeit misguided fan support them. 

To be fair, back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s I knew a fair few proper Chelsea fans - their away support was phenomenal and they were very loyal fans - traipsing around all the hellholes of England to support the likes of Kerry Dixon, Gordon Durie, Ken Monkou, Steve Clarke, Peter Rhoades Brown, Mickey Droy, Ian Britton, Mike Fillery, John Bumstead, Clive Walker, Colin Pates etc etc - rather like the Man Yoo fans of the same period, Chelsea fans back then were proper, staunch, loyal, vocal and manic - especially away from home - they didn’t have much to shout about, but they travelled everywhere to support their team ... their stadium was much better back then too - old school, intimidating and real. Modern Chelsea fans - well, I’d rather not say ... ??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair, back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s I knew a fair few proper Chelsea fans - their away support was phenomenal and they were very loyal fans - traipsing around all the hellholes of England to support the likes of Kerry Dixon, Gordon Durie, Ken Monkou, Steve Clarke, Peter Rhoades Brown, Mickey Droy, Ian Britton, Mike Fillery, John Bumstead, Clive Walker, Colin Pates etc etc - rather like the Man Yoo fans of the same period, Chelsea fans back then were proper, staunch, loyal, vocal and manic - especially away from home - they didn’t have much to shout about, but they travelled everywhere to support their team ... their stadium was much better back then too - old school, intimidating and real. Modern Chelsea fans - well, I’d rather not say ... ??

On my last trip to Stamford Bridge I saw someone wearing a cravat. No joke!  :facepalm:

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Considering most of their support are ST holders and they would be selling their old kit in the shop, I can't see that it would cause particular short term pain but, as you say, next season and renewals is a totally different matter.

I read somewhere that they had 28k ST holders, so around 14k members/POTD I'd assume (including away supporters). I make it a loss of well over 500k per game ? No idea how that would impact them.

• Thanks 1