IGNORED

Crowd

Henry

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Ok. I personally wouldn’t go out of my way to wind up a group of people when I’m on my own and then be surprised when things escalated. Forget football it’s just a stupid decision. 

I wouldn't either, but I still don't understand why many fans can sit in a pub pre match and talk sensibly with opposition fans about football, yet it seems to be accepted that it's all out war once inside a football ground.

• Like 3

I’ve sat in the home areas at Barnsley, Leeds and Newcastle with mates who have season tickets there (in the stands rather than the home ends) and not had any trouble. However, I sat on my hands, avoided any banter with them and kept my voice down.   The people around me were absolutely fine too.

It’s a shame though that it has to be like that and a couple of mates who like football but support different teams can’t just sit together and enjoy a more relaxed experience.  I suppose some people would push it too far though when emotions are raised.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Every couple of minutes yesterday, a huge cloud rose from somewhere near the dugouts. Half the stadium must have seen it.

It’s rife at the rugby as well.  No one from the club seems to care less! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Yes it's an emotional game, but no more emotional than the last game at Coventry of our first season back in the top division in 1977.

I sat next to a Coventry fan, he celebrated both goals as they went 2-0 up, we argued throughout the game and I celebrated our goals as we equalised at 2-2. At no time did I feel the need to throw punches at him even though I felt he was talking bollox most of the game.

At the end of the game when we had both survived relegation, we hugged each other and both went onto the pitch to celebrate with other fans of both sides.

What is it that makes things so different these days?

My mate got punched in the face by a Coventry fan after that game. Never figured out why….

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

I’ve sat in the home areas at Barnsley, Leeds and Newcastle with mates who have season tickets there (in the stands rather than the home ends) and not had any trouble. However, I sat on my hands, avoided any banter with them and kept my voice down.   The people around me were absolutely fine too.

It’s a shame though that it has to be like that and a couple of mates who like football but support different teams can’t just sit together and enjoy a more relaxed experience.  I suppose some people would push it too far though when emotions are raised.

I remember going to Elland Road and we asked a steward for directions to the disabled section. She very kindly sent us into the home concourse by mistake. We walked all the way through thousands of singing and drinking Leeds fans only to be told we were sent the wrong way……meaning we had to walk back through again.

God knows where my Yorkshire accent came from ????

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Totally agree.

I always found it sad that my late brother and his son (who both followed Cardiff City having lived there for over forty years), were unable to watch matches with me whenever our two sides met. We may well have argued but we were all still football fans who had no reason to kick the shit out of each other.

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Maybe the question should be asked why we've had so many away supporters being able to buy tickets in this block this season 

Sick and tired of having away fans around us, most Are respectful, but that idiot got everything he deserved for standing up and celebrating in a Birmingham shirt. 

Perhaps you should come up and sit around it and see how you would react? 

I didn’t realise that was happening and seems weird that it does. But it would explain why I saw two Coventry fans in the Dolman concourse last home game, both quite openly wearing their shirts. I thought it was odd. It was a Mum and her young son, so not looking for trouble, but still odd. 

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

No segregation in rugby so it is very different. If there was none in football we would see a number of fights every game 

I'm not totally convinced we would, apart from the fact that there are often large(ish) crowds at non league -obviously my area of expertise before anyone else says it- I think maybe a fair few 'lads' wouldn't be quite as brave as they are when there is a big line of segregation in place. One of my favourite ever things I saw at a match was Rovers away to Stoke a few years back and in one corner we were very close to the Stoke fans. Things got a bit heated and one young  Rovers lad near me- who had all the right gear on- was pointing directly at a Stoke fan who was about twice his size and looked like he'd give Tyson Fury a run for his money and shouting  'you and me, you and me' repeatedly at the Stoke lad, who was just shaking his head.

They let us all out together and as we were walking down the hill the big Stokie was in front of us and the Rovers lad was just alongside me.  A Rovers bloke I knew from the Pied - who tbf is always funny as ****, but whose name escapes me- started saying to the Rovers lad, there he is look, you can take him, I'll hold yer coat and then started shouting to the Stokie' Here mate, he wants a word with you'. Cue Rovers lad, head down trying to avoid eye contact with absolutely anyone.

You had to be there really, but still makes me laugh now, and tbf to the Stoke lad he was laughing and didn't do anything untoward.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Section 82 are throwing objects every game it seems. Maybe it was a mistake to make that area, as it just attracts louts.  

The Dolman fighting is embarrassing. 8 on 1.  So ruddy bloody brave.  

It wasn't 8 on 1, there were 5 of them but the other 4 let their mate get battered 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

I can remember quite a bit of fighting outside after the game. I think tales of both sets of fans hugging etc is a myth.

It wasn't a myth. Me and the Coventry fan mentioned hugged and went onto the pitch. Can't see the need to fight just because I support a different team.

Does that make me odd????

6 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

It wasn't a myth. Me and the Coventry fan mentioned hugged and went onto the pitch. Can't see the need to fight just because I support a different team.

I've still got a Cov silk scarf I swapped at the end with a Cov fan (in the days when I used to wear such things )!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

No that doesn't make you odd. I completely agree with your words which I have highlighted. I was only describing what was going on as I exited the ground, not that I got involved in it.

• Thanks 1

Punching someone for supporting their team, isn't acceptable, it's wanky behaviour, whether they are in the wrong section or not. I would say on this occasion- and we would need to see what went on before- that there does seem an element of the  Brum fan, maybe not 'looking for it' but certainly being up for a bit of confrontation, although as I wasn't there, I'm only guessing.

Glad to see my little hoolie mate who is both too old and too short to be getting involved in such stuff, seemingly trying to calm things down ( even though he did fail dismally!)

I get to go to a lot of rugby and while it's true it isn't always trouble free, it never seems to escalate in the way it does at football.

I've been in the wrong end lots of times and I'm sure many others have when away tickets are sparse and while sometimes I haven't worried cheering if my team score, there are occasions when you think 'I'd better lie low here' One notable occasion for me was when Garry Smart scored the winner for us in the last couple of minutes in one of the most one sided derbies ever. I was in the home seats in the Dolman  that day (it's  along story) and when Smarty scored I can honestly say it was a total involuntary reaction, but I celebrated. It was only a couple of seconds but I stood up and said something like '******* yes' and then had that moment of 'oh **** what have I done here' luckily its quite hard to  land a proper punch in the seats, and I think my City mate next to me copped more than I did.

I 've even gone in the Rangers end at Ibrox, with my Rangers supporting mate, warning me to  stand up if Rangers scored etc and - obviously - not cheer if Celtic did-. I managed to keep quiet when Celtic made it 1-1 , but when the 4th and 5th went in for Rangers I remained  firmly slumped in my seat, which didn't go unnoticed , but considering the scoreline  I got away with a few smirks and hand gestures rather than getting kicked all the way down Edmiston Drive.

Anyway, hitting people at football- definitely not cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've stood / sat in many a home stand over the years and only once did I celebrate, when Phillips saved a penalty at the mem. Luckily I have a few very big rovers mates that protected me while I climbed over the barrier.

It was my fault but couldn't help it.

It's difficult some times when your caught up in the moment, I suppose I think of it like this, if you were in the home end at Millwall, would you be as keen to display your partisan leanings? Or your Andy Leanings..

**** Holloway....

?

Edited by B1ackbird
  • Like 1

When I lived in Scotland for a couple of years, apart from coming to all City home and plenty away in the North, I watched a game up there every free weekend.

One time I went to watch Dunfermline at hone to St Johnstone. I sat in a stand behind the goal and chatted as always with everyone within ear's reach.

Saints right back scored the first goal, a thirty yard screamer and I stood up to applaud him. And was quickly told by all the laughing Dunfermline fans near me to sit down, keep quiet and enjoy the rest of the match.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AG City said:

I don't think this 'bring a mate for £12.50' does us many favours.  I think some people see it as a cheap afternoon out to go the football, get wasted act like morons.
Yesterday the lower block of E30 was full of coked up / drunk blokes (with women with kids), getting up and down constantly, standing in the exit leaning on the glass blocking peoples view, openly drinking in the st spitting on the floor, smoking/vaping, and throwing stuff at each other, and not really watching the game.

No stewards around either.

I am no prude but when you have got some coked up peasant out their head sitting next to you, and every other word begins with a C, you start to wonder whether you should be spending your Saturday afternoons doing something completely different.

Do you know they were "coked up", or is this an assumption? Not saying you're wrong, but hear this a lot at the moment, and wonder how people know? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Punching someone for supporting their team, isn't acceptable, it's wanky behaviour, whether they are in the wrong section or not. I would say on this occasion- and we would need to see what went on before- that there does seem an element of the  Brum fan, maybe not 'looking for it' but certainly being up for a bit of confrontation, although as I wasn't there, I'm only guessing.

Glad to see my little hoolie mate who is both too old and too short to be getting involved in such stuff, seemingly trying to calm things down ( even though he did fail dismally!)

I get to go to a lot of rugby and while it's true it isn't always trouble free, it never seems to escalate in the way it does at football.

I've been in the wrong end lots of times and I'm sure many others have when away tickets are sparse and while sometimes I haven't worried cheering if City concede, there are occasions when you think 'I'd better lie low here' One notable occasion for me was when Garry Smart scored the winner for us in the last couple of minutes in one of the most one sided derbies ever. I was in the home seats in the Dolman  that day (it's  along story) and when Smarty scored I can honestly say it was a total involuntary reaction, but I celebrated. It was only a couple of seconds but I stood up and said something like '******* yes' and then had that moment of 'oh **** what have I done here' luckily its quite hard to  land a proper punch in the seats, and I think my City mate next to me copped more than I did.

I 've even gone in the Rangers end at Ibrox, with my Rangers supporting mate, warning me to  stand up if Rangers scored etc and - obviously - not cheer if Celtic did-. I managed to keep quiet when Celtic made it 1-1 , but when the 4th and 5th went in for Rangers I remained  firmly slumped in my seat, which didn't go unnoticed , but considering the scoreline  I got away with a few smirks and hand gestures rather than getting kicked all the way down Edmiston Drive.

Great post. Hope you don’t mind me correcting your typo 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Yes it's an emotional game, but no more emotional than the last game at Coventry of our first season back in the top division in 1977.

I sat next to a Coventry fan, he celebrated both goals as they went 2-0 up, we argued throughout the game and I celebrated our goals as we equalised at 2-2. At no time did I feel the need to throw punches at him even though I felt he was talking bollox most of the game.

At the end of the game when we had both survived relegation, we hugged each other and both went onto the pitch to celebrate with other fans of both sides.

What is it that makes things so different these days?

There was 15000 of us and there was plenty of trouble around. The 70s was one big football punch up/riot and you are arguing things/people are worse now?
Is your memory getting a bit hazy!

Edited by REDOXO

49 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I've been in the wrong end lots of times and I'm sure many others have when away tickets are sparse and while sometimes I haven't worried cheering if my team score, there are occasions when you think 'I'd better lie low here' One notable occasion for me was when Garry Smart scored the winner for us in the last couple of minutes in one of the most one sided derbies ever. I was in the home seats in the Dolman  that day (it's  along story) and when Smarty scored I can honestly say it was a total involuntary reaction, but I celebrated. It was only a couple of seconds but I stood up and said something like '******* yes' and then had that moment of 'oh **** what have I done here' luckily its quite hard to  land a proper punch in the seats, and I think my City mate next to me copped more than I did.

I was sitting in the middle of the main stand at Trumpton for a certain derby match one May evening in 1990. Long story. Needless to say, I never had to test the outcome of my being the only person to leap up and celebrate a goal. Although being the only person sitting on your hands whilst others around you celebrate wildly is possibly an even worse experience. 

Just now, italian dave said:

I was sitting in the middle of the main stand at Trumpton for a certain derby match one May evening in 1990. Long story. Needless to say, I never had to test the outcome of my being the only person to leap up and celebrate a goal. Although being the only person sitting on your hands whilst others around you celebrate wildly is possibly an even worse experience. 

I hope you dusted yourself down with DTT and showered for a couple of hours after getting out of there. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I hope you dusted yourself down with DTT and showered for a couple of hours after getting out of there. 

Ha ha! Reminds me of a story I’ve always remembered from my youth, about an Everton fan who’d never ever visit Anfield, other than when having to go there for a derby game. He’d wear an old pair of shoes and burn them when he got home every time! 

• Haha 2