IGNORED

Danny Simpson leaves City

CyderInACan

17 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Possibly using the money saved for another OOC Klose type short term signing?

Be very surprised if that’s the case.

If he was on the sort of sums being quoted this appears more about news management & clearing up the situation than anything else.

I know Andre Wisdom has been training with Brum recently in order to try & get a deal but would be amazed if another Klose in terms of ability to slot straight in, was out there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Klose I can see the sense and he has been decent (behind the scenes also)

But Simpson was a disaster and even the most rabid NP supporters can't defend that signing surely ?  

I don't think anyone is defending the signing? Everyone seems agreed it didn't work out...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If you settle a contract have you actually saved any money?

I think it has to be of mutual benefit to both parties. Otherwise it turns into a Winston Bogarde situation from the past. With the player just playing out his contract, and a possible loyalty bonus at the end of it. It should in theory save the club some money.

I wonder whether Simpson has another gig set up elsewhere to go to.

36 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Heard he was on a pittance in footballers wages terms & absolutely nowhere near the amount quoted on that dodgy website guessing at players wages. 

He wasn’t going to play, but was creating a bit of an issue with the fans wondering why we played all these others in his position over him, good business to terminate early I reckon. 

Proverbial nail on the head.

26 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I agree. I think NP wanted him in as someone he could trust to set standards in training. Just a guess though. Why else extend then never play him?

Not sure where the "he was a model professional brought in to sort out the dressing room and to be a role model for the youngsters" has come from ?

Convenient excuse but not necessarily true.

6 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Glad people can now move on, people losing their shit over a player who was earning a few hundred a week. Yet wasters like Palmer and Wells get a free ride earning 10s of thousands a week.

Don't disagree over the Palmer, and Wels comments.

However Simpson was part of the matchday squad for at least over 20 games this season. If his contract was based on his selection for that squad however, then it is still a sizable amount that we have wasted; in my honest opinion.

And that of course would have had an impact on the issue of bringing in a short term replacement (loan or OOC ) in that position.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

How much money has been wasted on shit old players ? 

Simpson, King, Mariappa, Brunt, Williams, O’Neill.  Anyone else?  

At least £2m on those lot. 

Sorry but Williams wasn't shit.  Wish the version of him we saw was playing now. We'd have some leadership at least. 

• Like 4

Just now, VT05763 said:

Not sure where the "he was a model professional brought in to sort out the dressing room and to be a role model for the youngsters" has come from ?

Convenient excuse but not necessarily true.

Bottom line is none of us know either way, do we?

I was always uncomfortable with his previous conviction but can have no idea whether he was a brilliant trainer, good at offering advice to the likes of Tanner, etc.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think there’s any big drama.

In his post match press conference NP stated when asked about Simpson something along the lines of planning for next year and looking a little longer term. At that point it was obvious that he wasn’t going to play again. Now it has just been made formal and means we can all move on.

2 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

I don’t think there’s any big drama.

In his post match press conference NP stated when asked about Simpson something along the lines of planning for next year and looking a little longer term. At that point it was obvious that he wasn’t going to play again. Now it has just been made formal and means we can all move on.

Odd he brought Wells on and not Conway then.

Is he planning to keep Wells ?

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Odd he brought Wells on and not Conway then.

Is he planning to keep Wells ?

Wells played really well for the 23s & is clearly doing everything he can to get in the side.

Whether he stays or goes this summer will depend more on whether we can find someone willing to buy him, than him coming on as a sub in March.

5 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Nope, especially if some would have you believe he was on a "few hundred quid a week" !!

Yes, why on earth would he sign here at the end of his career for a few hundred a week when the cost of living in bristol will be more than that? 

one of the stranger of our signings, but the overall cost has been negligible compared to the cost of palmer, wells, fam etc etc

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Well actually it's a yes... you can come to a mutual agreement which could be a lower amount and end it early.

it was the bit about saving the money for another player, if he was on a few hundred a week then the answer to that is no.

Just now, DaveF said:

King will probably go in the summer but why would we get rid of James? 

I thought james was looking decent at the start of the season, but he is starting to look increasingly poor,,, he has a history of fitness issues which have continued here, offers little forward threat, not much in the way of defensive cover, and no one is offering much leadership. We looked much more accomplished in midfield with an 18 year old and 20 year old when he was out.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wells played really well for the 23s & is clearly doing everything he can to get in the side.

Whether he stays or goes this summer will depend more on whether we can find someone willing to buy him, than him coming on as a sub in March.

Exactly, we are actively trying to off load him and he has no future here, NP knows what he can do.

So give Conway a chance to prove himself and gain experience.

Wells will presumably also will have an appearance bonus in his contract ? 

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, why on earth would he sign here at the end of his career for a few hundred a week when the cost of living in bristol will be more than that? 

one of the stranger of our signings, but the overall cost has been negligible compared to the cost of palmer, wells, fam etc etc

I agree @Simon bristol

If people really think that Simpson was only playing for a few hundred a week, then they are a bit deluded.

He would have had to rent in the City, or at least make a move for during the week/matchdays. Even if he was still living up north, he would have had bills to pay. No-one of his ilk will be playing for hundreds. It just wouldn't make sense for him financially.

If however his basic was in the hundreds, but his contract was based on inclusion in the first team; all of those times he was on the bench; and never ever came on would make more sense. Albeit a further waste of money on our part

The only players on those sort of contracts (hundreds), are the Under 23s on their first professional contracts, who are still living with their parents. Even player's like Conway, Towler, Edwards, Pearson would be on more than that (not that much more of course).

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1