IGNORED

Danny Simpson leaves City

CyderInACan

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I didn’t know how old James was when Nige signed him. I (wrongly) assumed that as James had been with the Foxes when Nige was there that he’d be around late 20s early 30s.

Unsurprisingly I never do any background checks on players that City sign - I leave that to you and others who seem to relish that kind of research.

You apparently knew he was “past his best” though.

He was in his late 20s, (29) so your earlier statement now makes even less sense…

• Like 1

Think Simpson gets a rough ride because of his past.

Taking that completely out the equation (think it's a separate debate as to whether it should and probably not the time/place for that discussion) I saw the logic/merits of this deal in the summer. Felt like NP was settled on Vyner as first choice and obviously bought in Tanner for development with DS as replacement/mentor. Don't believe Simpson's wages would be a game changer with FFP and don't think he was bought in to play as much as King for example.  

Obviously since that point Vyners form has fallen off a cliff and after a promising start Tanner has got injured, we've spent a large amount of time playing a back 5 which definitely doesn't suit Simpson and therefore hasn't really been able to get match sharpness. At his age I imagine it's harder to get match fitness without actually playing so not surprised he's not featured much even with the injuries/form of people in that position. 

So in my opinion a low risk, logical deal that just hasn't worked out, certainly not the disaster it's being made out to be

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Heard he was on a pittance in footballers wages terms & absolutely nowhere near the amount quoted on that dodgy website guessing at players wages. 

He wasn’t going to play, but was creating a bit of an issue with the fans wondering why we played all these others in his position over him, good business to terminate early I reckon. 

TBH if he was paid £150 a week it still wasn't worth it - unless he undertook some maintenance jobs around the HPC on the side.

However you cut it, his signing was a failure.

Divisive because of his wife-beating background; didn't look very good in the 4 starts he had for us; mysteriously earned another year and then spent months sitting on his arse and not even near considered for a matchday start.

The fact that Pearson would rather play a teenage U23 forward over Simpson as RB says everything.

Let's just hope NP has learnt from this fiasco and next summer's incomers are more considered than this, his first signing. 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hundreds of pounds a week!? Surely he was on thousands.

Can only repeat what I’ve heard. Supposedly here as a favour to Pearson to give him the run down on the dressing room. Don’t know why King or James couldn’t do that, but that’s what I’ve heard.

If he gets a new club then that’s obviously bollocks, if he retires then I’d say it’s probably true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Wow, such a lack of self awareness. Even here where I may have made an error you are making things up.

I didn’t mention that he had played at RB and thought he had played the odd game at RWB.

Before Saturday he had started 2 first team games at RWB/FB and would’ve been taken through this in training in the lead up to the games.

My point was really about your comments on player development, which you curiously have decided to ignore.

The criticism of James I don't really get.

Sure he's had injuries this and in prior seasons, but a fit James is good technically, tactically and with useful experience to pass on. Signing him on a free is a definite positive- last season he played maybe even started 23/23 for Coventry, think he had a strong availability record with Barnsley too in 1st half of the season there.

A fit King would have had his uses as a squad player too, to shore it up or as a rotation option- seem to recall he played very well v Fulham in the Cup. He was only probably intended as a short term ie 1 year addition anyway but injuries have ultimately done for him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Well that would be very surprising. If he was brought in to play then surely he has to be paid fairly. That is non league level wages isn't it?

He would get paid what he’s prepared to accept, he’s had a good career. Small contracts with big bonuses aren’t uncommon especially if you aren’t going to be first choice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I didn’t know how old James was when Nige signed him. I (wrongly) assumed that as James had been with the Foxes when Nige was there that he’d be around late 20s early 30s.

Unsurprisingly I never do any background checks on players that City sign - I just post complete and utter bollux in the hope I'll get some attention - and I leave that to you and others who seem to relish that kind of research.

??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t get the obsession with Danny Simpson and the greater obsession with beating Pearson around the head with it. 

We are a club that over a five year period have signed, for huge money, players that have failed, retired, had no ability and were discarded! Pearson  signs a player on a free that doesn’t work out and there are six pages and a dozen threads about it. 

Some need to get a grip and move the eff on! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I don’t get the obsession with Danny Simpson and the greater obsession with beating Pearson around the head with it. 

We are a club that over a five year period have signed, for huge money, players that have failed, retired, had no ability and were discarded! Pearson  signs a player on a free that doesn’t work out and there are six pages and a dozen threads about it. 

Some need to get a grip and move the eff on! 

Fair point.

7 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Klose I can see the sense and he has been decent (behind the scenes also)

But Simpson was a disaster and even the most rabid NP supporters can't defend that signing surely ?  

Well, he was a better signing than LJ’s signing of Diony. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

he must've done something/had a huge bust up with Pearson or someone else internally for him to be so rapidly binned off, after Pearson went through all the hassle of signing him, publicly defending him over the abuse history, and then signing him again

I agree all a bit odd, considering its been a problem position, he has looked incredibly poor but I thought give it a few months he'd get his chance. fall out or maybe undisclosed issues.  

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

On the James signing I didnt see anyone on here complaining about it at the time, especially as he was signed on the back of a good season at Coventry. King was a bit different and more of a gamble. Having watched him 4 years ago on loan at Swansea I personally would have have given him a big swerve.

People need to remember that our recruitment department was basically whoever Mark Ashton's preferred agents suggested before.  I suspect there wasn't a long list of candidates so he went for what he knew. 

Simpson getting paid a relatively small amount is still nowhere near as bad as Chris Brunt though.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH if he was paid £150 a week it still wasn't worth it - unless he undertook some maintenance jobs around the HPC on the side.

However you cut it, his signing was a failure.

Divisive because of his wife-beating background; didn't look very good in the 4 starts he had for us; mysteriously earned another year and then spent months sitting on his arse and not even near considered for a matchday start.

The fact that Pearson would rather play a teenage U23 forward over Simpson as RB says everything.

Let's just hope NP has learnt from this fiasco and next summer's incomers are more considered than this, his first signing. 

I think the key thing is our recruitment team should now know what they are looking for,  The Leicester signings made sense in the context that Nige probably wasn't impressed by suggestions (with the exception of Atkinson) and the 'team' wouldn't have as clear an idea of what is needed as they do now.    Playing Bell there is simply Testing his mettle rather than his right back abilities,  If he comes through it hardened it will have been worth his while.   Wouldn't surprise me to see him have a future as a wing back/wide midfielder.   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Did you not think Diony was a potentially good signing at the time? I know i did. Not sure many thought Simpson was ever a good idea.

I had no idea in truth, though as we were reportedly prepared to spend £8m on him, comparing him to a free transfer on a one year contract isn’t exactly “like for like”, is it?

• Like 1