IGNORED

Poor Old Everton

50 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

Surprised how watford are being written off. They have some very winnable fixtures on paper. Home to all of Everton, Leeds, Burnley and Brentford

It's to do with how fivethirtyeight rate teams. They've not got a prediction for the Everton game but the other three are pretty much all rated as being on a knife edge. They (very narrowly) reckon Watford can beat Leeds and Burnley, but lose to Brentford. They've got them comfortably losing to Liverpool, man City, Palace, Leicester, and Chelsea. So on that basis Watford get 6 more points (yes admittedly over teams down there with them) plus maybe an extra couple from a draw here or there. That only gets them to 30, and so makes them likely to go down.

Secondly, is 75% 'written off'. Maybe, but it also does mean fivethirtyeight reckon that 1 in 4 times Watford survive. That's actually quite high at this stage of the season.

None of this is an exact science, football is so dependant on tiny variables that it's really just a guide. But I think it's interesting to see predictions scoped out like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the Premier League are letting them off the hook or at least giving them a stay of execution!

Given that the regulations are broadly speaking harmonised, this is curious...delay publication beyond the publication date (end of March or so to CH, unsure what the internal PL one is- early March)? and there should be an embargo slapped on in addition. Sounds like a possible fudge or it could be orders to slash costs in 2022/23.

Does that mean that WE will be let off the hook if we were set to fail by e.g. £3-5m to 2023. Not saying we should be, precedent set at our level- but this is odd by the PL on face value.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like the Premier League are letting them off the hook or at least giving them a stay of execution!

Given that the regulations are broadly speaking harmonised, this is curious...delay publication beyond the publication date (end of March or so to CH, unsure what the internal PL one is- early March)? and there should be an embargo slapped on in addition. Sounds like a possible fudge or it could be orders to slash costs in 2022/23.

Does that mean that WE will be let off the hook if we were set to fail by e.g. £3-5m to 2023. Not saying we should be, precedent set at our level- but this is odd by the PL on face value.

Sounds like a soft embargo.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sounds like a soft embargo.

Yep think so...just to reach parity to 2021 however, they will have to had improved their position last season vs 2019/20 although the one caveat in my numbers is academy expenditure- that is guesswork that it hasn't shot up in 2020/21 based on an article.

If Everton finish 17th, the team in 18th in particular- 19th and 20th too if it's a tight battle to the end, might have something to say I reckon. Could we see a litigation vs Derby type scenario?

Claiming £67m in Covid losses in 2019/20 alone as Everton have is, erm...well.

Interesting Tweet- and rather shocking if true.

Shocking but not a total surprise.

Essentially, the claim is that only if relegated would they get a deduction for breaching FFP- because they do things differently ie apply the same rules differently, in the PL!

IF true that would mean the EFL could reassess afresh clubs who have gone up if complaints kick in surely? His credibility I don't know, time will tell but he is a possible reporter at Football Insider.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting Tweet- and rather shocking if true.

Shocking but not a total surprise.

Essentially, the claim is that only if relegated would they get a deduction for breaching FFP- because they do things differently ie apply the same rules differently, in the PL!

IF true that would mean the EFL could reassess afresh clubs who have gone up if complaints kick in surely? His credibility I don't know, time will tell but he is a possible reporter at Football Insider.

PoF has already said that covid and normal allowances might see them squeak inside the £105m.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

PoF has already said that covid and normal allowances might see them squeak inside the £105m.

Agreed, although the 2020/21 accounts will make for interesting reading.

That £260m of losses is still 3/4 of the jigsaw...could be very tight.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

£155M+ of allowances??? ?

Amazing isn't it.

Think they are trying to write off a slug of it to Covid. Not looked in depth but Kieran Maguire said £103m/£120m?? Could be that he's bundled up claimed losses in Year 1, 2 and their "Covid Impairment" claims, double counted.

Might look at my Spreadsheet for them again later...

All the same that clearly seems a nonsense and waaaaay out of kilter with a majority.

• Thanks 1

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/everton-finances-club-secure-financial-fair-play-sanctions-120-loss-1546706

Those losses are horrendous- yes Covid, yes some of it is down to a new ground, yes good Community Spend.,

However FFP at that level should not be failable. Not with £105m in a 3 year period BEFORE allowable costs.

There is also some poor reporting, they are banging on about 3 years but with FFP Covid amendments it is 3 years...of sorts.

2017/18

2018/19

2019/20 and 2020/21 combined average

There is no standalone assessment for 3 years to 2019/20.

Pre tax losses..

2017/18-  -£13,070,000

2018/19-  -£111,845,000

2019/20-  -£139,863,000

2020/21-  -£120,934,000

I mean, words fail me somewhat!

Wow with all those eye watering losses plus parachute payments for failure if they go down it will make even more of a mockery of the whole FFP system! Paradoxically, it might just make the football powers that be take a long look at the abject disparity of wealth and rules that now exists between the top two divisions when it comes to FFP.

Two bits.

One, the actual revenue hit etc they claimed was as per the accounts not £103m- I got that slightly wrong on early glance.

image.png.20945926e0d644684ad4eeff032691f3.png

What I am unsure is if the £103m is exclusive of the Impairment- so it's £103m-£14.8m=Attempted player addbacks and the like...mix of profit on disposal, amortisation and wage savings of £88.2m OR £103m-£14.8m-£15.3m=£72.9m OR even the same - £7.2m which would be one of £65.5m.

Plus, secondly- Steve Gibson may have started a trend!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10685545/Everton-sued-373m-losses-Premier-League-rivals-amid-doubts-Covid-write-off.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10676973/If-Everton-avoid-Financial-Fair-Play-penalty-skin-teeth-warn-experts.html

Other clubs are strongly scrutinising their accounts and may sue.

Their claims are an utter pisstake so I hope they don't get away with things.