IGNORED

Poor Old Everton

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s complete nonsense Marcus - ‘street craft’ as they see it is part of that culture. They see conning the referee as fair game whereas we see it a downright cheating. Simeone was the perfect example and he’s now encourages his teams to act in the same way and other European managers hate that style.

Pep was brilliant post match after they’d beaten them when he said ‘I have nothing to say’…………….:rofl2br:

I didn't say they don't. I was talking specifically about "waving imaginary cards" - it's no different to a British player saying "c'mon ref, that's got to be a booking" heard on the pitch up and down the country every week.

The rest of it I agree with, some countries are masters of the "dark arts" but our players are getting better at it. Not necessarily just diving, but "buying" a foul is getting more and more common place right down to grassroots and some people are very good at it. Look at Saka against Chelsea the other night - felt an arm on him, so he held onto it and made it look more of a foul than it initially might have been.

Similarly and back on topic, Gordon against Liverpool, put his leg across Trent to create the contact and it's 50/50 whether that gets given or not.

I don’t really get the hostility to Lampard both on here and social media. He did a decent job at Derby getting them to the play off final albeit with Chelsea loanees and Mel trying to cheat the system 

But people forget he went into Chelsea whilst under a transfer embargo and brought on a lot of their younger players qualifying for the champions league and laying the foundations for them winning it the next year 

The problems at Everton have been years in the making and the result of bad recruitment followed by more bad recruitment and trying not to live in Liverpool’s shadow 

• Like 5

Just now, East Londoner said:

The problems at Everton have been years in the making and the result of bad recruitment followed by more bad recruitment and trying not to live in Liverpool’s shadow 

They're probably the worst run 'big club' in Europe. Some absolutely shocking managerial appointments and player recruitment.

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

The first one will be me. ?

I will be gutted. But I have actually never been to Goodison. The closest I have got was Anfield in 94. ?

It's high on my agenda before it is bulldozed. Looks like I may be in the away end!

Yep. :yes:

I've been to Goodison Park once, this game in '79.

Sat up high in that big side stand. Freezing cold, Whitehead scored first, then a hat trick for Andy King and a 4-1 defeat. 'King Andy' as the Everton fan behind me kept saying. Proper traditional ground and fans - you had to keep your head down inside and outside the ground - but they all were in those days.

If Everton go down they'd no doubt lose a few 'stars' (perhaps they need to) but they've always had a good youth system and they'd probably come back quickly and stronger.

As with City under Cotts a season of success, at whatever level, can rejuvenate a club and it's fans. Then it's a case of backing the manager and building on it.

I don't have any strong feelings either way about Everton but their presence in the Championship would certainly make our league more interesting.

Anyway, all speculation, plenty of chances for them to get out of it yet and they'll stay up if they deserve to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, East Londoner said:

I don’t really get the hostility to Lampard both on here and social media. He did a decent job at Derby getting them to the play off final albeit with Chelsea loanees and Mel trying to cheat the system 

Iirc Gary Rowett got them to 6th, the same position as Lampard, without the luxury of having Mount, Tomori and Wilson on loan. Should he have been in the frame for the Chelsea job?

• Like 2

Everton are enquiring why their Peno shout was not reviewed by VAR. For me it could have gone one way or the other, but I take the point about a review.

Either way they have been awful since Benitez left (pretty poor before). I was watching a program that showed how significantly they had outspent Liverpool and yet are utter pony, thus making anyone think their problems have run deep for a long time. 

The one constant at the club over many years is Bill Kenwright and it probably doesn’t take to much of a look to come to that conclusion. 

Lampard imo is the wrong man. When has he ever had a relegation battle?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“They’ve been lucky to stay up so many times” - really? In the last 16 premier league seasons they’ve finished:

4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 11th, 11th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th, 10th ... those are the finishing positions of a solid, established premier league club ...

People with their bloody facts, undermining my perceptions and opinions. ?.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

People with their bloody facts, undermining my perceptions and opinions. ?.

It's funny I had a similar perception, I think it's shaped from the early days of the Prem when they were often in that position. @BS4 on Tour... If I'm wrong about that too, please don't shatter my illusions that I know a little about football! 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

It's funny I had a similar perception, I think it's shaped from the early days of the Prem when they were often in that position. @BS4 on Tour... If I'm wrong about that too, please don't shatter my illusions that I know a little about football! 

About 93 or 94 last game of the season, Everton were 2 down at home against Wimbledon and being relegated when they “miraculously” recovered to win 3-2 and escape the drop.

Suspicions were later cast over the result, following prosecution of the Wimbledon goalie, Hans Seegars, for taking bribes from a betting syndicate to throw games.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

About 93 or 94 last game of the season, Everton were 2 down at home against Wimbledon and being relegated when they “miraculously” recovered to win 3-2 and escape the drop.

Suspicions were later cast over the result, following prosecution of the Wimbledon goalie, Hans Seegars, for taking bribes from a betting syndicate to throw games.

Thank you! I am going to take this to mean me and @DaveInSA have incredible football insight, and intelligence that is not warped by the mere 16 of most recent seasons. 

• Flames 3

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I actually quite like Everton. My first ever football shirt was an Everton shirt (a gift from a friend of my dad's) and Stuart McCall and Pat Nevin were my childhood heroes.

That being said, I'd really like an away trip to Goodison. So... C'mon Burnley!!! 

Sure some of these are on earlier pages, but my 3 overriding (addled) memories of the Howard Kendall era, other than a great team:

- classic Hafnia (for all your Danish canned meat needs) kit

- 100% of their goals being Andy Gray diving headers inside the 6 yard box

- a little ledge at the back of the away end where those after more of a periscope view would stand (/teeter)

I was talking earlier about the amount Everton have spent, wasted. When Koeman took over and had money to spend, I was excited for them . My mate, Everton fan , sits next to me at the Gate so had regular conversations. It went from excitement to confusion as they bought 5 "10s" , and we say our recruitment is bad. Anyway, just saw this comparison on Twitter, this proves that a focused and smart recruitment is key, having money is helpful but not everything.

image.png.6fd88f06f098d50418578da6a0caf36f.png

• Like 2

On 25/04/2022 at 15:24, REDOXO said:

Everton are enquiring why their Peno shout was not reviewed by VAR. For me it could have gone one way or the other, but I take the point about a review.

Either way they have been awful since Benitez left (pretty poor before). I was watching a program that showed how significantly they had outspent Liverpool and yet are utter pony, thus making anyone think their problems have run deep for a long time. 

The one constant at the club over many years is Bill Kenwright and it probably doesn’t take to much of a look to come to that conclusion. 

Lampard imo is the wrong man. When has he ever had a relegation battle?

It would have been reviewed though - I did find it odd that the commentators didn't really mention it and it moved on pretty quickly with the game carrying on

41 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

For all the stick Lampard is getting, he’s actually got a better win ratio at Everton than Gerrard has at Villa. Gerrard also has a better squad. 

Has he though? Admittedly Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources, however...

Lampard (33.3%)

Screenshot_20220426-193815-807.png

Gerrard (36.4%)

Screenshot_20220426-193906-393.png

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It would have been reviewed though - I did find it odd that the commentators didn't really mention it and it moved on pretty quickly with the game carrying on

I watched it in the US and the commentators definitely did mention it. 

It’s a strange thing. They are English commentators but they are working for NBC. Not sure why the commentary is changed and it’s a bit annoying as we never get JP talking about the City during the game. 

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I watched it in the US and the commentators definitely did mention it. 

It’s a strange thing. They are English commentators but they are working for NBC. Not sure why the commentary is changed and it’s a bit annoying as we never get JP talking about the City during the game. 

On sky Carragher was saying he didn’t think it was a pen, then said it would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch. I don’t recall any mention of VAR checking it and before they finished the replay the game had resumed and Liverpool were on the attack

On 25/04/2022 at 19:22, BanburyRed said:

I thought everyone in Liverpool, red or blue, loves each other and lives next to each other in sweet harmony?

They do... Did you not see how on the video how no one, absolutely no one, made any attempt to actually get close to the opposition fans? Preferring instead to shout a bit and just film their rivals ?

On 25/04/2022 at 11:18, 2015 said:

They're probably the worst run 'big club' in Europe. Some absolutely shocking managerial appointments and player recruitment.

Which of their recent managerial appointments would you deem ‘absolutely shocking’? These are their managers over the last decade:

David Moyes

Roberto Martinez

Ronald Koeman

Sam Allardyce

Marco Silva

Carlo Ancelotti

Rafael Benitez

There’s some serious CVs amongst that lot and it ain’t the worst list of ex managers I’ve ever seen...

• Like 2

Re the penalty incident, I am surprised they didn't mention the stonewall pen they were  denied in the last minute against Man City. A penalty that if converted would have given them a bit of momentum (as well as a point) and ironically have Liverpool top of the league at the moment.