IGNORED

Obviously correct about Bristol, but what about the rest?

phantom

38 minutes ago, One Team said:

Whenever the ‘biggest club’ question comes up I always think it’s based on three things (in order): 

1. Trophies won;

2. Time spent in the highest division(s);

3. Fan base. 

Based on this then yes, Arsenal are bigger than Spurs and Chelsea. 

I think you have to factor in timescales, anything in the last 20 years has to count more than 20 to 50 years ago which has to count more than 50+ years ago which is almost irrelevant IMHO.

e.g. Villa or Forrest winning the champions League 40 years ago has less effect on the club being big than say Chelsea winning it 2012.

• Like 3

I have never liked “biggest club” debates. It always feels like something fans trot out when their team is crapper than their rivals on any objective level and so they want to find some subjective criteria to desperately claim a false sense of superiority.

Ultimately football is a game that is about results. How you do on the pitch matters, what division you are in matters and what trophies you win matters. Every other measure is just noise.

If a team is doing crap now but draws large crowds or used to win trophies in the past, it does not prove what a big club they are - it simply amplifies the extent to which they are underachieving.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

I know it doesn't fit the narrative of the map but I'd say we have more support in Somerset than Yeovil, personally. 

Good point and don't forget the large support the Gas receive in the North East, that's not been taken into account.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Are Blackburn bigger than Burnley?

Burnley are the biggest supported club in the land per head of population.

Preston are big if you factor in trophies.

And Bolton used to have a massive supermarket at every home game. Does that count?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, One Team said:

Without question. Pretty much everywhere in Somerset is City apart from Yeovil and it’s immediate surrounding area. 

Well, I live 20 miles away from Yeovil (thank God!!) and we do have a few YTFC fans in our village.  More City than Yeovil though. Even a few deluded Gasheads here - who of course never go to games and also support PL clubs. 

6 hours ago, One Team said:

Without question. Pretty much everywhere in Somerset is City apart from Yeovil and it’s immediate surrounding area. 

Yeah, but that's like saying that United are the biggest club in China!

It's presumably based on location of club and not fanbase...I say presumably because the resolution on the picture makes it look like I'm watching it on Betamax with dodgy tracking!

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It’s bad enough here in Wiltshire all you see is Liverpool , arsenal and Utd shirts . Plastic fan heaven around here 

And a **** load of these have Swindon Town as their 2nd team, with a lot of Bath Rugby fans

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I dunno what would be a derby game around lincs.

Doncasters not far.

Donny and Lincoln certainly don't like each other as I witnessed when many years ago taking in the Friday night fixture at Belle Vue en route to watching City at Hartlepool. But in the absence of Boston the derby games for Lincoln must be Scunny and Grimsby. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I suppose its contentious as to whether Sheff Utd are a bigger club than Wednesday, certainly higher position these days, but I'm not sure about that one. Also are Arsenal bigger than Chelsea or Tottenham ? 

Sheffield Wednesday are definitely a bigger club than Sheffield United. I'm certain that Burnley fans won't take kindly to Blackburn being the biggest club in what remains of Lancashire, and Preston may take umbrage too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sheffield Wednesday are definitely a bigger club than Sheffield United. I'm certain that Burnley fans won't take kindly to Blackburn being the biggest club in what remains of Lancashire, and Preston may take umbrage too. 

Thats why I supported them from 1965 onwards when we moved North, even had to paint my red and white rattle......blue and white ?

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I suppose its contentious as to whether Sheff Utd are a bigger club than Wednesday, certainly higher position these days, but I'm not sure about that one. Also are Arsenal bigger than Chelsea or Tottenham ? 

Arsenal are much bigger than Spurs to be fair. Chelsea only these past 20 years or so have been relevant.

Agree on Wednesday being bigger than the Blades.

• Like 1