IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers away match day thread

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

My sneaky plan of not following the match at all and not checking the score until 5:30 worked.

Maybe the Lansdowns can pay me to go out every time we play away. 

3 hours ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Today for the first time this season i decided that i wasn't going to follow the match day thread

or 

watch sky sports news

or

check the scores on my phone 

Today i decided id talk to my wife for 90 minutes …. It was hell

You all owe me a pint 

Cheers

I'm claiming it too! Got to work at half 3 and didn't once check my phone!

I only got to see the last minutes which mostly consisted of City being over run by some prima donna divers, a weak ref and just for good measure the ritual penalty against us. You can all guess what I thought was going to happen.

Then Dog’s Bollocks Dan make Hand Shandy Dack look like the ***** that he is and from a William’s cross which looked like it would bother our keeper more than theirs Wocket Weimann absolutely buried as fine a volley as you will ever see. 
Well done City . 
A day like today makes all the suffering worthwhile.

A big hand for all the Robins in the away end. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

He has started to show his ability again . He lost his way with injuries . Shows great character and dedication . Nige never doubted his ability he just wanted to see it on Saturday . Though he is never a LB in a flat back four. Though he has skills to play in midfield . 

Undoubtedly starting to show what he can do again as you say, always been technically sound.

Your point LB wise, I do and I don't agree. LB with a diamond in front of him, perhaps not. A more symmetrical setup ie some kind of 4-3-3 with a wide left or winger pushed high, I think the cover would improve things.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Undoubtedly starting to show what he can do again as you say, always been technically sound.

Your point LB wise, I do and I don't agree. LB with a diamond in front of him, perhaps not. A more symmetrical setup ie some kind of 4-3-3 with a wide left or winger pushed high, I think the cover would improve things.

Think Jay is perhaps our most likely player to make good decisions in possession and execute them well. For example, the free kick for the goal wasn’t a difficult ball, but he saw Nakhi’s run (fair play to Nakhi as well) and played it to him, that got us up the pitch and set up Joe for one his legendary, entirely deliberate, boomerang crosses.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think Jay is perhaps our most likely player to make good decisions in possession and execute them well. For example, the free kick for the goal wasn’t a difficult ball, but he saw Nakhi’s run (fair play to Nakhi as well) and played it to him, that got us up the pitch and set up Joe for one his legendary, entirely deliberate, boomerang crosses.  

2 assists in the last month or so, think he has it in his locker.

21 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

My reasoning is the volume of diagonals that come his way , less the attacking threat on the ground more the aerial weakness . Early this season he was tried there and it was brutal . So Nige moved Baker there . I honestly cannot see Nige putting Jay in as a RB in a four . I don’t think he’s going to grow anymore ! So he’s just too small for a RB . But left side of midfield yes .    If he was 6 ft it would be different . As a LB he is a weak point and liability . Unless we decide we are going 3 at the back but 433 has been the direction Nige says he wants . 

I still feel that he can play LB in a back 4 but it really depends on the spacing between him and his LCB.  If he can play tighter to the right sided opponent then diags become less of an issue.  Early season I felt he tending to play closer to Atkinson to enable him to settle in.  Baker at LB v Cardiff felt like horses for courses.  Preston too, had they played Potts.  I’m also a big believer in pressing the man on the ball to make the diag harder to hit.

The kind of stuff that comes together on the training ground.

Digressing slightly, Saturday felt like one of the v.few times we’ve played with a “flat three” in midfield and I thought we covered the width of the pitch pretty well, even if Scott was below par.  We’ve normally played a two and one in the hole and that has exposed our full-backs / wing-backs because the two have too much ground to cover.  If you couple that 3 in midfield (flat) with a front 3, complimenting a back 4 then maybe we get back to early days of “Dasilva the Left Back”.  We’ll see though.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Braver man than me , never in a million years do I see JD as a LB in a 4 . Will get murdered every week . If we need to talk about a LB being covered and protected to perform then it’s a lost cause for me . He will continue to get targeted . He is not defensively good enough for such a platform . I like a lot about Jay but not as a defender in a back 4. Will be happy to be proven wrong . I guess he will get a lot of practice to improve as every game he will have balls launched to him as he did early season . He will be the weak link . I am not sure Tanner is going to be strong enough either in a 4 . But maybe we are going for 3 at the back , then that’s a different story . 

disney pixar GIF by Disney

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I still feel that he can play LB in a back 4 but it really depends on the spacing between him and his LCB.  If he can play tighter to the right sided opponent then diags become less of an issue.  Early season I felt he tending to play closer to Atkinson to enable him to settle in.  Baker at LB v Cardiff felt like horses for courses.  Preston too, had they played Potts.  I’m also a big believer in pressing the man on the ball to make the diag harder to hit.

The kind of stuff that comes together on the training ground.

Digressing slightly, Saturday felt like one of the v.few times we’ve played with a “flat three” in midfield and I thought we covered the width of the pitch pretty well, even if Scott was below par.  We’ve normally played a two and one in the hole and that has exposed our full-backs / wing-backs because the two have too much ground to cover.  If you couple that 3 in midfield (flat) with a front 3, complimenting a back 4 then maybe we get back to early days of “Dasilva the Left Back”.  We’ll see though.

On that last point, Dave, do you think that was one reason why HNM struggled when he came on? It was almost like it forced him into expending all that energy just going round in circles, instead of up and down and across the pitch?