IGNORED

Fastest running with the ball I have ever seen.

Waconda

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

The most knowledgable and interesting co-commentator there is

Light years ahead of most in terms of tactical awareness and reading of the game 

That is debatable but I don’t want a commentator telling me a footballer has fell on his back and saying he should be ok when the world can see he fell on his pissing arm 

Ivan Sproule. Witness a match v a lowly soon to be relegated Southampton side at the Gate. They're pressing for an equaliser and get a corner in the last minute. Up comes their keeper. City win the ball and it breaks to Sproule who outsprints everyone all the way up the pitch with the ball. He takes it to the goal line and then has time to run along the goal line before tapping it into an empty net.

Ivan Sproule for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Major Isewater said:

And at Ashton Gate v Southampton. We all thought he was going to miss having dribbled half the length of the pitch . 

We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules .

Thanks Major - that was the one I was trying to think of. After he went past all their defence you wondered if he would remember to put the ball in the net or if he’d run straight on down the tunnel a la Forrest G.

3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Keith Curle was pretty nippy and going way back Mike Thresher had a fair turn of speed. 

Keith Curle when he played at the back for us was immense.

He had after burners he could switch on when needed.

Many quick strikers were dumbstruck when Curle jogged alongside them as if he had another 3 gears to go into!!

• Like 1

Adama Traore had a different level of speed on ball when he played us a few years ago. He was at Middlesborough at the time. Could receive the ball back to goal on halfway with Flint nipping at him only to be 10 yards towards our goal before you knew what was happening. 

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

The most knowledgable and interesting co-commentator there is

Light years ahead of most in terms of tactical awareness and reading of the game 

What he's done there is, he's looked up, he's seen a comment and, bang, straight away he's replied to it. Textbook forumming, Clive.

5 hours ago, Swede said:

Ivan Sproule. Witness a match v a lowly soon to be relegated Southampton side at the Gate. They're pressing for an equaliser and get a corner in the last minute. Up comes their keeper. City win the ball and it breaks to Sproule who outsprints everyone all the way up the pitch with the ball. He takes it to the goal line and then has time to run along the goal line before tapping it into an empty net.

Ivan Sproule for me.

And I still thought he would cock it up - his control was non-existent.

Very fast, but his feet were far quicker than his brain.

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Pace is a mixed bag. A lot of the bigger players are often far quicker than you can imagine over 60/100 m  (Kalas springs to mind with our current squad, people say Flint is slow , but over an extended range he is probably surprisingly quick- all about getting them moving) . But they are often claimed slow in a match situation, as it is initial sprint pace we see most of. So maybe over a 10/25 metre range. 

Kyle Walker is probably the quickest I have seen live these last years for example. But true rocket ships, sub 11 second 100M I am not sure we see many like that. On the other hand, slow players, well we see a lot of them ! 

The recollection of Dave Smith , that was a funny period. He just played the ball forward and outsprinted the defender. Was funny to watch but in the modern game unlikely there are players that slow where you could do that. I am sure with modern tracking of players, there must be some data to expose the fastest over say 20/30 m ? That is one for @Davefevs

It costs money….I’m hoping to get hold of a source though. ??

Bundesliga publish it for free.

Im surprised on occasions that fast players try to rely on skill in open spaces to beat a player they know they out-run.

Bell did it last week against Pederson (I think).  Was on a counter and just needed to knock it 20 yards and burn him.  O’Dowda guilty of the same.  Just knock it and run.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I always liked watching Tony Daley. Pace, could turn defenders inside out and scored some great goals. Would love to see someone like that at city, someone that got you out of your seat when they got the ball.

Exactly what I thought ODowda was going to do when he signed!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Pace is a mixed bag. A lot of the bigger players are often far quicker than you can imagine over 60/100 m  (Kalas springs to mind with our current squad, people say Flint is slow , but over an extended range he is probably surprisingly quick- all about getting them moving) . But they are often claimed slow in a match situation, as it is initial sprint pace we see most of. So maybe over a 10/25 metre range. 

Kyle Walker is probably the quickest I have seen live these last years for example. But true rocket ships, sub 11 second 100M I am not sure we see many like that. On the other hand, slow players, well we see a lot of them ! 

The recollection of Dave Smith , that was a funny period. He just played the ball forward and outsprinted the defender. Was funny to watch but in the modern game unlikely there are players that slow where you could do that. I am sure with modern tracking of players, there must be some data to expose the fastest over say 20/30 m ? That is one for @Davefevs

There are differing measurements for that. That is explosive energy. These players are not necessarily fast over twenty metres as they will not be able to reach actualisation (sprinting). Actualisation is reached  at around sixty metres and players cant dribble with a football and sprint.

Fastest with the ball have been Bale and Bellerin over fifty metres. Bales dribbling could take seven big strides between touches of the ball with minimal impact on his stride length.   

Flint isnt fast in all directions. He is slow as a sprinter. His foot patterns backwards and sideways are faster than peers. Players in differing positions practice the differing foot patterns.