IGNORED

First clean sheet since early December and no kalas in sight…

Looking back at the results, it looks like Derby at home, 4th December, was the last clean sheet.

Got slated previously for suggesting Kalas was a massive part of our defensive problems. People can’t seem to look past the fact he was an expensive signing from Chelsea and that automatically makes him exempt from blame.

He is not a leader, not a ball winner and not someone who can carry the ball out of defence.

Hoping today gives us an insight into what we can be like without players being picked purely by reputation.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Would be amazed if he was here next season. 

Suits neither party for him to remain.

Tbf if selling Kalas meant we could keep Semenyo and Scott I think I'd be on board with that.

4th clean sheet of the season today. And yes as OP says it's the first since Derby.

• Like 2

As with anything, there are multiple causes:

- A move to 3-5-2

- Playing against a team with a current horrific goal scoring record

- Bentley saving a penalty

- Return to fitness (and very good game) from Atkinson

- Assured debut from Cundy

Theres nothing to say Kalas (fully fit) playing instead of one of the three at the back wouldn’t have produced the same result.

• Like 17

54 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Looking back at the results, it looks like Derby at home, 4th December, was the last clean sheet.

Got slated previously for suggesting Kalas was a massive part of our defensive problems. People can’t seem to look past the fact he was an expensive signing from Chelsea and that automatically makes him exempt from blame.

He is not a leader, not a ball winner and not someone who can carry the ball out of defence.

Hoping today gives us an insight into what we can be like without players being picked purely by reputation.

But he is the captain of an international team who has played at the highest level.  I don’t think him being absent for one win really is enough to prove your conclusion.  Who’s to say the result wouldn’t have been the sane had he played?

We all know that Kalas is a very good player, because we’ve seen it.  It is nothing to do with him being an expensive sign in from Chelsea.  Our defensive problems this season cannot be attributed to one player (quite funny that with Zak Vyner out of the way another scapegoat has to be found), but are to do with the whole team, and particularly the midfield.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not a ball winner. He is our top ball winner. Wins every header and is no soft touch on the ground. He is capable of bringing the ball out of defence and does do that at times but perhaps he's told not too. Has kept us in many games but perhaps Nige is right that he needed time off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Not a ball winner. He is our top ball winner. Wins every header and is no soft touch on the ground. He is capable of bringing the ball out of defence and does do that at times but perhaps he's told not too. Has kept us in many games but perhaps Nige is right that he needed time off. 

He’s quick as well.

I saw someone saying we should get rid because he only played well next to Webster. The most backward way of thinking ever.

We should be looking at buying a player to be the next Webster so Kalas can play to his best again.

Right back is our glaring issue and any funds or wiggle room we have need to be spent addressing this, not replacing an upper Championship quality defender for someone who may or may not be the same level. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

We must be watching different players

Kalas is a good player at this level. He has a prodigious leap and he is a battler. There are certainly plenty of matches over the last couple of years where his presence has saved our bacon. That said, he is nowhere near the best centre back in the Championship and I think we can do better. I'm already on record as saying id rather sell Kalas (and Bentley) than let the kids leave and I'm still of that view. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

As with anything, there are multiple causes:

- A move to 3-5-2

- Playing against a team with a current horrific goal scoring record

- Bentley saving a penalty

- Return to fitness (and very good game) from Atkinson

- Assured debut from Cundy

Theres nothing to say Kalas (fully fit) playing instead of one of the three at the back wouldn’t have produced the same result.

100%, plus Blackburn have now scored once in 9 games, Kalas didn’t play against anyone in such poor form in his run in the side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Bentley is of course a big part of the reason we’ve kept a clean sheet today. I don’t think it’s about Tomas’ absence. The people on here who seem to not realise Bentley’s ability baffles me. 

Yes there are one or two, but, he was dropped, so Pearson thought OLeary earned his chance. However that was great goal keeping today, so that kick in the backside did him good!

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Large credit goes to Atkinson as well. He may be our best centre half from what I’ve seen this season. And I’m a big fan of Kalas, Baker and Klose! On paper, it’s bizarre how much we’ve struggled in defence. 

An inform & fully fit Atkinson like we saw the beginning of the season is something to look forward to, I believe he’ll be a really important player next season after 1st champ season completed.

15 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

An inform & fully fit Atkinson like we saw the beginning of the season is something to look forward to, I believe he’ll be a really important player next season after 1st champ season completed.

Yep, today he still looked a bit rusty…but first start since injury.

I’ll hold my hands up and say playing the back-3 today, I’d have played Cundy | Atkinson | Klose, because I think Atkinson doesn’t like being dragged into wide areas as much as Klose is comfy out there…but I think we needed Klose alongside Cundy today…so tipped hat to Pearson.

Thought Klose was bloody excellent today, only topped by Bents.

Woukd be seriously looking at offering him another year.