IGNORED

Wells

Spoonbed

We certainly looked more positive when he came on. He played a part in our win.

I enjoy watching the young players but sometimes you just need a bit of experience, especially when the opposition are tiring, mentally as well as physically.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I feel like with the players were getting back in midfield we're only just getting a platform in place that allows us to play to Wells strengths, we haven't been able to get this in place for the last couple of seasons.

Yes James and Williams will suit Wells so much better! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Thought Nakhi Wells was excellent when he came on today. Really pepped up the attack and some of his passes were sublime.

In commentary Tinnion said that he has been exemplary when turning out for the U23s and has even addressed the players in the dressing room and given them advice and encouragement. A true pro. I know this might not fit in with the storyline that he is stealing a living with us, but credit where credit is due he performed magnificently today and by all accounts goes above and beyond on his U23 outings.

Wells doesn’t always have the greatest body language but he has come out of his recent spell out of the side very well.

Firstly Pearson said that he asked to play for the 23s when like a couple of others I can think of he could quite easily pick up his wages for nothing.

Secondly every time he’s come on a sub he’s given his best & played for the team.

He clearly really wants to play & when I saw him for the 23s he was incredibly unselfish, definitely trying to make sure Conway got a goal.

He definitely deserves a start on Tuesday.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes James and Williams will suit Wells so much better! 

For all the comments that James and Williams can’t play together after 1 game together…one of them having had 45 minutes under his belt after a long period out, the other being managed carefully after the best part of 18 months out….I thought they did a good job today.

The extra man in the midfield made a difference.  Think both were running on fumes come the end, but I thought it was one of James best performances for us.

• Like 11

Agree he looked a threat. He had a couple of chances in the box, ball at feet, where he tried to walk it in or get it on his favoured foot rather than just punt it at goal (I’ve always thought the toe-punt is underrated). However, I think we can put that down to rustiness and I’m sure he’d admit he could do better. 

Agree with all stated. When the story of Wells here is written, it’ll be that we signed a player that wasn’t right for us and us not right for him, but he didn’t sulk (notwithstanding demeanour!) gave his best when called upon but ultimately wasn’t a “fit”. Not his fault, Ashton and LJs fault, but I find it hard to question his attitude 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For all the comments that James and Williams can’t play together after 1 game together…one of them having had 45 minutes under his belt after a long period out, the other being managed carefully after the best part of 18 months out….I thought they did a good job today.

The extra man in the midfield made a difference.  Think both were running on fumes come the end, but I thought it was one of James best performances for us.

James and Williams can’t play together just sounds like the musings of **** wit. They are both very good players, as you know, that actually bring a lot of different attributes. Now they are fit/fitter. 

However HNM was pretty pony when he came on. Bentley got him out of jail. The kid looks to have his head somewhere, just not sure if it’s away or up his own posterior, either place it’s not good!

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, he did well today. Helped that he came on in place of another striker, not as an additional striker. That meant we kept our shape and game plan much better than sometimes happens when he comes on and we end up with 4 strikers on the pitch.

Very good point. ??????

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with all stated. When the story of Wells here is written, it’ll be that we signed a player that wasn’t right for us and us not right for him, but he didn’t sulk (notwithstanding demeanour!) gave his best when called upon but ultimately wasn’t a “fit”. Not his fault, Ashton and LJs fault, but I find it hard to question his attitude 

Very good post ??????  I’ve always thought his pissed off demeanour is more because of how he / team are playing, and that he wants to score goals / wants team to win.

Happy with ? points today I bet. 

• Like 1

Thought Nahki Wells was brilliant yesterday when he came on. He seems to have been frozen out the team for much of the season and many fans seem to be calling for him to be sold in the summer, stating he doesn't want to be here and that he is a big earner and not delivering. Personally having seen him come on yesterday and make a huge impact and also be our only positive from the game at Blackpool, I wonder why fans are so keen to see him go, and perhaps its worth starting him against Barnsley. I would be tempted to go with him and Semenyo up top with Martin dropped to the bench and Wiemann in behind. Give Alex Scott a game off. On the few chances he has had lately, Wells has been very solid. He clearly seems to want to put a shift in when given the chance, so how about use the last ten games to see if he can be a crucial part of the team. Its likely we'll make a huge loss selling him, and may not get someone to cover his wages if we loaned him out, so perhaps playing him and giving him a chance to prove he could be a solution to our 3rd needed forward situation. Thoughts ?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Thought Nakhi Wells was excellent when he came on today. Really pepped up the attack and some of his passes were sublime.

In commentary Tinnion said that he has been exemplary when turning out for the U23s and has even addressed the players in the dressing room and given them advice and encouragement. A true pro. I know this might not fit in with the storyline that he is stealing a living with us, but credit where credit is due he performed magnificently today and by all accounts goes above and beyond on his U23 outings.

Got it on good authority his attitude is really good, he is a real positive influence around the dressing room and he trains brilliantly to. 

Some times things just don’t work out, and there is nothing more to it other then you don’t fit in with what the manager wants 

Personally I would like to see him be given more of a chance in the run in, but hey ho 

• Like 3

Definitely deserves a start. Many feel his attitude isn’t right but I’ve actually never felt that with him. I think his demeanour gives that impression but he always seems to be doing all he can on the pitch and his commitment and performances for the under-23s is testament to that. 

I think his natural style doesn’t suit the way Pearson likes to play but he seems to have worked hard on his strength and hold up play and I now feel can share more of that responsibility with Martin. I’d be interested to see him, Semenyo and Weimann start on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Got it on good authority his attitude is really good, he is a real positive influence around the dressing room and he trains brilliantly to. 

Some times things just don’t work out, and there is nothing more to it other then you don’t fit in with what the manager wants 

Personally I would like to see him be given more of a chance in the run in, but hey ho 

There was a piece with him in one of the Bermudan papers just after the window shut when there'd been talk of him going to Cardiff and he came across as nothing other than very professional.

Obviously wanted to play more but he had no axe to grind with Pearson.  They understood and respected each other's positions, whilst Wells acknowledged that Semenyo etc had deserved to start ahead of him and that when he had got chances to play he hadn't taken them. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Wells is a far better option than Martin in the starting 11 imo, clearly not in Pearson plans and is clearly on his way in the summer 

Nige said post match that he thought Martin had a really good game and that Wells did well when he came on.

Pick the bones out of that…………:dunno:

With another away game just three days away Nige will probably rotate where he can. Kalas back in, Wells may get a start along with HNM. 

It’s all speculation at the end of the day.

• Haha 1

I am really surprised Wells hasn't been given a start or two recently, hopefully might get a few games in the "shop window" during the run in.
I think we would. have benefited from his pace and movement during this recent spell . We have held and passed the ball much better, and I think it would suit him much more than previously.
His ability to switch play with a pass really helped yesterday, some of those passes were brilliant plus he showed good touch and movement , looked a real threat. That chance with back to goal, I thought criticising him for not shooting with his left was harsh. Difficult to see the room to get a clean shot, and would have been slated for not trying a pass had he smashed it into the CB behind him. 

The only reason to try and get rid is money/wages. How we are looking to play, I think he would fit right in. The £27k pw doesn't. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

Surely he must of played himself into contention for Barnsley?

Thought he was excellent when he came on. Used the ball very well, and whilst he will never be classed as a target man, surprisingly good at shielding, and holding onto, the ball. 

Would start him ahead of Semenyo at Barnsley...

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Different style players, they aren't like for like. Martin does a different job than Wells.

Absolutely & even in the short highlights you can see Martin’s value, the knock down for the one Semenyo scuffs & his link up play for the James effort are both top class.

Pearson knows how good he is, even if some on here are obsessed with criticising him.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely & even in the short highlights you can see Martin’s value, the knock down for the one Semenyo scuffs & his link up play for the James effort are both top class.

Pearson knows how good he is, even if some on here are obsessed with criticising him.

A game where stats and blue blobs and crosses on a pitch map don’t really do his performance justice.

9B153DF9-EC86-43B6-8E5A-7CA37040E414.jpeg.e7ae23df7bd9b95e089f45cc84472240.jpeg9CEFDC05-4775-4C8D-89C6-610ADA98B905.jpeg.77779baac74c8b892e8c7306393ee150.jpeg2F660E2F-954E-471B-B1A8-BD507CCE4672.jpeg.3990e20571d251c657151836e9b4e8bc.jpeg9F3E396F-57E2-43FD-A351-CF3C598D9DD9.jpeg.50bc2493620051602956ac7259d0d5fb.jpeg

The final pic was the key one for me…Martin peeling onto Lenihan (who’s a v.decent Champ CB) and getting diags from Bentley or the CBs.  We were able to get bits and pieces from nod downs / lay-offs / mis-headers and Williams playing LHS of a 3 was able to join up.

It wasn’t perfect but it made a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A game where stats and blue blobs and crosses on a pitch map don’t really do his performance justice.

It wasn’t perfect but it made a difference.

Dave like yourself, "at least one ageing football fan was gladdened last night by the sight of an English footballer breaking free of the limpid tentacles of packed Mediterranean defence."

With thanks to Monty Python

Anyone else watched his pre Posh press conference?

When asked about whether he would still be here in the summer his response didn’t sound to me like he’s going anywhere. He talks of having at least another a year, wanting to stay, loving it here and liking working with NP.

Could all be shop window stuff but wasn’t quite what I was expecting to hear.