IGNORED

Time wasting at throw-ins

Davefevs

Saw this, interesting!

the other thing that bugged me twice yesterday was Lenihan.  He got told twice where to take a throw-in very deep in their half and each time he pinched 10+ yards.  I don’t mind a couple of yards, but it’s blatant, and again showed the incompetence of the ref yesterday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At least it implies that in the dying embers, teams are looking to win when drawing, which is positive. Totally agree about grabbing distance, needs refs to reverse throw ins more often/have something vaguely resembling gumption. Based on this season’s refereeing standards, a conspiracy theorist would assume the League are desperate to introduce VAR, so have instructed refs to be 40% worse than usual, which is 40% off something relatively abysmal. Admittedly to make that argument stick, it would be helpful if VAR in the PL managed to get more than 1 in 17 decisions right. 

• Like 2

It'd be totally impractical in reality, but I'd love added time to be dependent on the outcome of the time wasting that's gone before. E.g, if a team is winning 1-0 and is clearly taking the piss with time wasting to the point that the ref lets it be known to them that he's adding it all on, but then they concede an equaliser before 90 minutes, they don't then get that added time back to try and win the game again.

Edited by Northern Red

Throw-ins, goal kicks, free kicks, substitutes ,all teams waste time when it suits.including us.But there is nothing more infuriating when we are losing than watching the opposition put the time wasting tactics into operation.Goalkeepers can take up to 2 minutes on a .goal kick. Ball goes out ,goalie  seems to lose the use of his legs, ambles towards ball ,picks it up, ambles back,puts ball down ,waves his arm,pretending he is pointing to the spot he will kick the ball, stops waving his arms, walks slowly backwards, waves his arms again,kicks ball,Ashton Gate is frozen in time.Its the same for throw -ins, and the more they are ahead the worse it gets. Oh boy! Have we been on the end of it this season!?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It'd be totally impractical in reality, but I'd love added time to be dependent on the outcome of the time wasting that's gone before. E.g, if a team is winning 1-0 and is clearly taking the piss with time wasting to the point that the ref lets it be known to them that he's adding it all on, but then they concede an equaliser before 90 minutes, they don't then get that added time back to try and win the game again.

A favourite memory just popped into my head. I was at Eastville watching them against Bolton (long boring story why). I think it was 1-1 , the gAss pressing and Bolton holding on wasting time. The R*vers players were moaning like made , hammering the Ref to add on time. Only for Bolton to break and score a winner, I don't think I've ever laughed so much at football. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akira said:

Slightly related but something that irrationally irritates me... Corners. 

More specifically, wtf is it with players being allowed to take it from OUTSIDE the corner circle markings? 

Because that's not the rule. The rule is that the ball has to be overlapping the line... not sure of a better word, basically if you drew an invisible line upwards from the very edge of the corner quarter-circle marking, the ball just has to overlap that invisible line.

3 hours ago, RedRaw said:

The ball only has to touch the white line

Incorrect. See above.

Just now, TBW said:

Because that's not the rule. The rule is that the ball has to be overlapping the line... not sure of a better word, basically if you drew an invisible line upwards from the very edge of the corner quarter-circle marking, the ball just has to overlap that invisible line.

Incorrect. See above.

So why then when the ref puts down his spray for a free kick, he marks where the ball should be, then a line for the players, they shouldn't cross the line drawn for them, and the ball shouldn't cross the line for the free kick? (if you're still with me!) 

So often the ball isn't on the line. But hey, it's a tiny issue in comparison to what is actually wrong with football, but still irks me! 

1 minute ago, Akira said:

So why then when the ref puts down his spray for a free kick, he marks where the ball should be, then a line for the players, they shouldn't cross the line drawn for them, and the ball shouldn't cross the line for the free kick? (if you're still with me!) 

So often the ball isn't on the line. But hey, it's a tiny issue in comparison to what is actually wrong with football, but still irks me! 

Because a free kick isn't a corner... The referee is setting a temporary restriction off of a foul. The corner marking isn't temporary. 

The ball can be past the corner marking, it's the rule. You've just grown up not knowing the rule, which is fine. Now you do know it though, it just has to overhang that invisible vertical line from it so you can get over it and move on.

You'll be furious when you realise a player is allowed to step over the line when taking a throw-in too. Just needs to have his feet on the line. Toe overhang doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

I'm unsure stopping the clock would help. I think the reason you taken your time is 2 fold 1 obviously is to waste time but the other is to slow things down. Stopping the clock just gives an excuse to those that want to slow the play down i.e. it's not wasting time.

Refs issuing quicker warnings and yellows for repeat offenders would be my preference.

3 minutes ago, TBW said:

Because a free kick isn't a corner... The referee is setting a temporary restriction off of a foul. The corner marking isn't temporary. 

The ball can be past the corner marking, it's the rule. You've just grown up not knowing the rule, which is fine. Now you do know it though, it just has to overhang that invisible vertical line from it so you can get over it and move on.

You'll be furious when you realise a player is allowed to step over the line when taking a throw-in too. Just needs to have his feet on the line. Toe overhang doesn't matter.

Thanks for clarifying. Learn something new everyday! 

If we’re talking things that annoy, the one that really gets me is the offending team players rushing to stand in front of the ball and stop a free kick being taken.  Not only are half of all free kicks the result is a deliberate attempt to break up play, but they then get away with stopping a quick free kick for good measure.

I’d bring back that rule that allowed the kick to be moved forward 10 yards in an instant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnbytheriver said:

Throw-ins, goal kicks, free kicks, substitutes ,all teams waste time when it suits.including us.But there is nothing more infuriating when we are losing than watching the opposition put the time wasting tactics into operation.Goalkeepers can take up to 2 minutes on a .goal kick. Ball goes out ,goalie  seems to lose the use of his legs, ambles towards ball ,picks it up, ambles back,puts ball down ,waves his arm,pretending he is pointing to the spot he will kick the ball, stops waving his arms, walks slowly backwards, waves his arms again,kicks ball,Ashton Gate is frozen in time.Its the same for throw -ins, and the more they are ahead the worse it gets. Oh boy! Have we been on the end of it this season!?

Players being substituted. The only known species who have a run that’s slower than when they walk. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TBW said:

What’s the rule in relation to goalkeepers taking drop kicks? I’d swear the Birmingham keeper last home game had his kicking foot and the ball a good yard outside the area when he released it. Is there a similar rule about the standing foot being on the line? Or do linesmen just not look for that now? 

Edited by italian dave

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

What’s the rule in relation to goalkeepers taking drop kicks? I’d swear the Birmingham keeper last home game had his kicking foot and the ball a good yard outside the area when he released it. Is there a similar rule about the standing foot being on the line? Or do linesmen just not look for that now? 

They are in line with the last defender so they never watch it now. I thought the Brummie keeper was well outside his box several times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Why would it matter where his feet are if he's dropped the ball from his hands already? The only violation would be carrying to ball in his hands outside of the area...

Could throw it three feet in front of himself if he wanted to and wouldn't matter as long as his hands weren't touching the ball outside the area. I mean, he's allowed to drop the ball and kick it off the ground, roll it out, throw it out... so why would it matter that his feet stay in the box? Everything is about the hands.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 2