IGNORED

Barnsley away match day thread

4 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Poor performance all round.

Wells again looks good off the bench.

Semenyo is good build up, but final decision making is lacking.

Playing 2 strikers in midfield in Wells and Wiemann when Martin offering nothing up top. Hope we start with Wiemann and Wells up top on Saturday.

Massengo was awful, nearly as bad as James.

What's happened to Andy King?

Andy King is broken again… Not sure if his contract is up at the end of the season, but probably time for him to move on. 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

All managers like to spend other peoples’ money

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

All CEO’s like to spend other peoples’ money

Fixed that for you.

Absolutely no reason to ‘fix’ Pongo88’s post?! I thought he or she was spot on with their original ‘unfixed’ post - it’s actually quite annoying when people feel the need to ‘fix’ someone’s post by editing it ... 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Daniro said:

I am absolutely disgusted with that performance.   12 months have passed and again we are subjected to clueless half witted error prone rubbish.    Shocking defending, absent midfield, poor finishing,  injury upon injury.    No progress whatsoever.   

Yep but we will have another air clearing, another random youngster thrown in the team as a round peg in a square hole, rub forehead, chuckle, lose, rinse and repeat... 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Sacking Pearson would achieve absolutely nothing. There is no one worth bringing in to replace him. The only logical choice would be Warnock, but there would go all the youth development.  We're not going down so be glad of that. Lets see what the summer brings, albeit I don't hold out much hope, but keep changing the manager isn't the solution. 

Nothing will fundamentally change until the owner goes

How many more decades of failure on the pitch and poor admin off it?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Don't blame the players? In a way, no, but not for your reasoning........very few of them are anywhere near the level. Masses of quality......have you been on LSD? Because you must be the only person in Bristol that has spotted that.................

Im not saying we're prime Barcelona but 

Semenyo - bags 20 goals for nearly all the sides in the division

A confident Massengo - runs rings around mid table and below teams

Scott - starts in his correct position for any side in the league 

Kalas - internationally appears to be a prem standard player, so he has something, why cant Pearson find it?

JD, Pring, Williams, Bentley, - start for 75% of Champ clubs

Confident Vyner, Confident Atkinson, Confident Wells, who knows, even confident Palmer? - solid championship players 

Underperforming players that all being well get this side pushing for more than top half. Why aren't they? 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

People keep saying this but look at United. You know they have talent, they've gone through multiple managers and don't perform anywhere near the level they can. 

It's all good to blame the manager but sometimes there are just too many players rocking the boat to get the team playing well. 

I have no idea who we would bring in if Pearson goes, I actually think that may be the final straw that sees us relegated because if these players won't play for Pearson I don't see them playing for anyone else. 

Neither you nor I have any idea what goes on behind the scenes?  Who is to say that a young organised coach, who actually spends time on the training pitch, rather than delegating, might not turn this team around, and get them to play attractive winning football?  It is obviously impossible to say?, but I certainly do not have the same faith in Pearson that you seem to have?  I personally think that NP is past his sell by date, and I still cannot fathom why he was given a 3 year contract?  13 months into his project, and we have seemingly made very little progress....but it appears we are stuck with him?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

People keep saying this but look at United. You know they have talent, they've gone through multiple managers and don't perform anywhere near the level they can. 

It's all good to blame the manager but sometimes there are just too many players rocking the boat to get the team playing well. 

I have no idea who we would bring in if Pearson goes, I actually think that may be the final straw that sees us relegated because if these players won't play for Pearson I don't see them playing for anyone else. 

He let 10 players go and brought in 5 new faces and returned 2 more. He has 3 players who haven’t really been affected by the squad over the years in Cundy, Scott and Benarous. Spouting anything about the squad is blind excuses supporting a manager with a name. He has been poor tactically and with his in game decisions. His recruitment has been awful. Fleming and Rennie have added nothing to the club. Stop shielding Nigel Pearson. He doesn’t deserve it and we don’t deserve the dross he has been serving up. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Any positive?

The huge improvement of Semenyo, Scott, Pring, and Massengo for a good chunk of the season?

Tonight was pretty awful but if you're saying there have been NO positives to his appointment before you're utterly blinkered.

I saw Semenyo's (friendly) debut and thought "Hmm, here's a player" so he was always likely to improve (many on here thought he was useless).  However, I give you Semenyo as a player who has improved under Pearson.

Scott is a good player.  I'm not sure he's got better though.  Likewise for Pring.

Massengo I suggest has got worse this season. I also saw his debut and thought again "Hmm, here's a player" but he has regressed firstly under Johnson and then Pearson.

So, I'll take the blinkers off and agree that Semenyo playing well is Pearson's one positive.

Now, for the negatives....

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Neither you nor I have any idea what goes on behind the scenes?  Who is to say that a young organised coach, who actually spends time on the training pitch, rather than delegating, might not turn this team around, and get them to play attractive winning football?  It is obviously impossible to say?, but I certainly do not have the same faith in Pearson that you seem to have?  I personally think that NP is past his sell by date, and I still cannot fathom why he was given a 3 year contract?  13 months into his project, and we have seemingly made very little progress....but it appears we are stuck with him?

We had one of those young organised coaches who spent time on the training pitch. Most people wanted him out….

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
4 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Why? Because he got promoted from this division nearly a decade ago

No, because we know full well that he's aware of the issues and is obviously not shirking away from them with the players. 

If we're being fair he's holding the players accountable. If he says to his players "do x" and then they go out and do y instead then what can he do? When players haven't performed he's been the first to say it, when we're conceding sloppy goals he's the first to say it too. 

I honestly don't get how players making the same basic school level mistakes over and over again is the managers fault when he's clearly aware of it and very vocal about it. 

No matter what you think of Pearson he's given plenty of chances to players this season when it comes to defending and there are still pub league errors being made. Pearson and the coaches can go over this time and time again but if the players don't stop making those mistakes what more can they do? 

I still maintain we need to play a back 4 as 5-3-2/3-5-2 doesn't work in this league, but how can you play a formation with 4 at the back with no semi decent right back in the entire squad?

I think Simpson hung this club out to dry and we've been unfortunate in that noone at the club seems comfortable /capable as a right back. That instantly makes us predictable and vulnerable as any manager playing against us instantly knows our formation and our weakness and there is nothing we can do to counter that. 

• Flames 1
8 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep am not convinced by Pearson but likewise not sure if anyone could get a tune out of this squad.  The summer and 5-10 games. Huge summer ahead 

Huge summer ahead, why are we trusting the man who signed two washed mates of his and a centre half he doesn't trust for all our budget. Recruitment director with Nige , providing we improve between now and May, or he goes, no in-between.

• Like 1

So poor again, our squad is devoid of any sort of talent, big job in the summer and don’t think Pearson is the man to do frankly . How we have let ourselves get in this situation with a totally unbalanced and inadequate squad is shockingly bad , the money spent by Pearson has not been done well James, king, Simpson all poor. struggling to see positives going into next season.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Nothing will fundamentally change until the owner goes

How many more decades of failure on the pitch and poor admin off it?

Sorry but without Lansdown we would be in League Two by now. He has backed every manager we've had. Players come to City and do shit, leave and become good again elsewhere. Thats not the owners fault.

I felt we pressed the eject button too quick on Cotts and Johnson Jnr if I'm honest. Fans expectation is part of the problem. We financially cant compete at this level without being a selling club. A state of the art fancy stadium is all well and good, but something has to pay for it. When Semenyo, Massengo and possibly Scott are sold in the summer to clear the 40m debt, well maybe most of it, the club will be focusing on the next youngsters to develop and sell on.

I personally would rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 aging experienced pros who are solid at this level on frees in the summer and then gradually blood in players. The club needs stability, these kids are burnt out with ten games to go and theres no other players here to help them, yet people are getting on the young players backs after they are knackered from 30 odd games of football when they don't have the experience of full seasons.

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

We had one of those young organised coaches who spent time on the training pitch. Most people wanted him out….

Things were going wrong with Holden but I’ve always felt he was a victim of circumstance rather than his own ability.

If you are referring to LJ, he had his time and opportunity and blew it year after year.

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

We seem so determined to pass pass pass when in recent years teams that have done really well in the championship have run and attacked with pace - Leeds, Norwich, Wolves etc

Why can’t we attack with pace??

They were strong possession sides too, Leeds stats were high- Neves let alone at this level, that side will have had a reasonable amount of the ball but granted them and Norwich a bit more mixed- do take your general point however.

Strong pressing and intensity too from Leeds in particular, Norwich and Wolves at times- you need both.

57 minutes ago, dREDful said:

So even before contracts expiring at the end of the season I make it we need:

RB

CBx2

Ball winning midfielder

Creative midfielder

Winger x2

Striker

And then replace whatever we lose. What a job that is. 

Not really ideal to point out but likely an FFP hole to fill as well. Think next season could be another tough one...fear it anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous