IGNORED

Barnsley away match day thread

3 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Could one of the stattos tell me how many positional changes were made tonight?

Never seen anything like it, NP has lost the plot.

I’m not sure about how many positional changes were made, but Atkinson seemed to be playing on the left wing at one point during the second half. The only experiment NP hasn’t tried is putting Dasilva in goal, but there’s still time. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RedNachos said:

Im not saying we're prime Barcelona but 

Semenyo - bags 20 goals for nearly all the sides in the division - Theres no way of knowing this.

A confident Massengo - runs rings around mid table and below teams I agree but has been poor recently.

Scott - starts in his correct position for any side in the league - Whilst he has great potential and probably one of the best 18 year olds in the championship he is still young and physically not there IMO.

Kalas - internationally appears to be a prem standard player, so he has something, why cant Pearson find it? Completely agree its strange and I can only assume it because he plays with better players Internstionally and is more motivated to play for his country.

JD, Pring, Williams, Bentley, - start for 75% of Champ clubs

Confident Vyner, Confident Atkinson, Confident Wells, who knows, even confident Palmer? - solid championship players - 

Underperforming players that all being well get this side pushing for more than top half. Why aren't they? 

Responded to your points in bold. Agree we are underperforming on the pitch. Not sure if motivation is an issue or the ayers you mentioned aren't good enough in this system management etc.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

And yet that is the best it has been in years. If only he didn’t coincide with Mark Ashton. Mind you, LJ fully deserved the sack at the time. 

Yes, I think his time had come despite all the highs. He was probably onto a loser before he started, never really liked as a player, nepotism, too chummy with the owner.

• Like 2

We were not very good again.

The melt down on here tonight is pretty epic mind. Genuine question, what were peoples expectations this season? Mine was frankly to stay up, which it looks like we will. To be blunt, same expectations next year. We are somehow eking out a win every now and again to keep our head above the water.

There seem to be a fair few on here on the one hand who kind of think 16th or so would be fair this season, but get offended when we do not win every game playing attacking exciting football.

We were poor tonight. Really poor. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 2
5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I saw Semenyo's (friendly) debut and thought "Hmm, here's a player" so he was always likely to improve (many on here thought he was useless).  However, I give you Semenyo as a player who has improved under Pearson.

Scott is a good player.  I'm not sure he's got better though.  Likewise for Pring.

Massengo I suggest has got worse this season. I also saw his debut and thought again "Hmm, here's a player" but he has regressed firstly under Johnson and then Pearson.

So, I'll take the blinkers off and agree that Semenyo playing well is Pearson's one positive.

Now, for the negatives....

Oh come on, I get it's annoying when we play like crap and get beaten but I don't think "A player looked like he might be good 3 - 4 years ago" is really a fair rebuttal.

A lot on here said they'd take sorting the wages out a bit, staying up, and seeing a load of our promising youngsters get game time and kick on. That's exactly what we've got.

It's definitely not been pretty but this season is pretty much what I expected so I'm not throwing my toys out just yet personally.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just got home after a night out so no idea how things were going,  knew we were obviously going to concede at least 2, just hoped we could get a a couple against the worst team in the league, come to the conclusion that after a year in charge that this manager ( a defender)is completely hopeless, time to look at a young up and coming manager from the lower divisions who could hardly be any worse than this bloke.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, robin for life said:

Sorry but without Lansdown we would be in League Two by now. He has backed every manager we've had. Players come to City and do shit, leave and become good again elsewhere. Thats not the owners fault.

I felt we pressed the eject button too quick on Cotts and Johnson Jnr if I'm honest. Fans expectation is part of the problem. We financially cant compete at this level without being a selling club. A state of the art fancy stadium is all well and good, but something has to pay for it. When Semenyo, Massengo and possibly Scott are sold in the summer to clear the 40m debt, well maybe most of it, the club will be focusing on the next youngsters to develop and sell on.

I personally would rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 aging experienced pros who are solid at this level on frees in the summer and then gradually blood in players. The club needs stability, these kids are burnt out with ten games to go and theres no other players here to help them, yet people are getting on the young players backs after they are knackered from 30 odd games of football when they don't have the experience of full seasons.

You don’t know with a good owner we would be in League 2.

The owner selected the managers with no proper procedures in place.

The owner has damaged the club by his personal obsession with Bristol Sport 

The owner interfered, eg signing of James, the worst goalie I have seen in a City shirt in my over 70 years of supporting

From certain comments from LJ and Cotts we know there have been problems

SL needs to go so the club can reset and really aim for top division

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have been pretty steady in saying Pearson isn’t for me. I was swaying early in the year but alas just a blip. Stealing a win on the weekend isn’t exactly an advertisement for how good Nigel Pearson is. 

Even the most ardent Nigel Pearson fan must admit that there has been no progress this season.

I have been 50/50 about him for quite a while but i'm now starting to question where we are going. When you see how teams like Preston  Millwall, Luton and Huddersfield compete in this division we should be on a similar level.

The emergence of Scott and Semenyo have been positives but i don't credit Nige solely for that.

• Like 1

One thing this season has taught me is we are going to get games like tonight when pretty much the whole team don't turn up but at least it don't seam to affect them in the next game, we really are the most inconsistent side I have ever seen, no point in getting mad with it now nothing going to change the rest of season , big job this summer though, 

I want to stay behind Pearson, but got to say that the whole defensive frailty has become a joke. I do think NP knows we’re essentially shit with weak minded players, a cosy mentality that has been part of the club from top down for years. However, I genuinely think he would have got some boring organisation sorted by now. Yep injuries and all that, but at some stage you have to look at the management of the team. Change of management, or maybe a change of ownership/in boardroom first? Everything is so stale, needs a massive change in the summer obviously, or I think we will go down next season. I understand the need for patience, we’ve no money, some decent youngsters, but it’s really looking like a downward trajectory. As I say, genuinely want NP to succeed because I think he knows that a real big change in culture is needed. I just get the feeling he’ll start the job, but run out of time. Just really don’t trust SL to make a decent football decision, I don’t think he can. Big change of mentality, imagination and direction needed at this club. Yeh... that’s it so, so stale just sums it up for me.

2 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Sorry but without Lansdown we would be in League Two by now. He has backed every manager we've had. Players come to City and do shit, leave and become good again elsewhere. Thats not the owners fault.

I felt we pressed the eject button too quick on Cotts and Johnson Jnr if I'm honest. Fans expectation is part of the problem. We financially cant compete at this level without being a selling club. A state of the art fancy stadium is all well and good, but something has to pay for it. When Semenyo, Massengo and possibly Scott are sold in the summer to clear the 40m debt, well maybe most of it, the club will be focusing on the next youngsters to develop and sell on.

I personally would rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 aging experienced pros who are solid at this level on frees in the summer and then gradually blood in players. The club needs stability, these kids are burnt out with ten games to go and theres no other players here to help them, yet people are getting on the young players backs after they are knackered from 30 odd games of football when they don't have the experience of full seasons.

How can you say this with any certainty?  Perhaps we would be in League 2, or perhaps we'd have had a decent run in the Prem, as many clubs our size (and smaller) have done.

The idea that we're just not big enough / rich enough to do well at this level is ludicrous IMHO. Many clubs have done far better than us with far less resource. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Players like Andy King, Matty James, Danny Simpson, Chris Brunt, Gary O'Neil?

• Like 1
Just now, Ivorguy said:

The owner interfered, eg signing of James, the worst goalie I have seen in a City shirt in my over 70 years of supporting

No one in the current climate is going to invest in a lower league Championship team with a massive balance sheet hole. The only reason we’ve not gone bust is because of the Lansdowns. I’m not saying the family have got everything right, but I’d rather them than some dubious consortium with no local links and being a bit guarded on the source of their cash..

I get the whole Bristol Sport thing, why not keep all the admin of running two sports teams playing in the same stadium under the same roof, that’s just sensible business practice, economies of scale and all that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Expected loss given their form.

We have 8 more matches to play and hopefully we'll get some points... somewhere. ?

I would no bank on us getting many point after tonight's performance, that was truly shocking in every aspect, we could hardly pass to each other... If we avoid relegation it will be through others losing not down to ourselves, players tonight looked like they though after Saturday the season was over and we could just stroll out against a team below us...

and I'm going to say it why do we keep playing Martin he offers absolutely nothing up front he so slow he has the pace and turning circle of a tug boat, he does not hold the ball up, he dose not link up with the other attackers and is generally a waste of a shirt.... also FFS NP why the **** are you playing Weimann as a wing back.....

I'm off to lie down in a darken room and double up on my blood pressure tablets...

• Like 3
Just now, Ivorguy said:

LJ was a good coach and he got good young players to develop and he was very intelligent. Problem was he didn't know how to and couldn't deal with players who thought they were bigger than the club and it was his undoing. If we had got in an old head as manager and had LJ as assistant or the guy coaching and doing tactics we wouldn't have had a problem. Half of LJ's squad are now playing top flight football or been sold to bigger and better clubs, that should not be forgotten.

The players doing well now, were all part of the youth structure Johnson was putting in place as well. Semenyo, Scott, Cundy and co, these were all players Johnson brought into the youth set up.

Pearson has made 1 good signing in Klose. I can't think of one good signing Holden made.

Bristol Sport has affected the club of course, but it has raised the profile of sport n the City. We have a good Rugby team and Womens team, sadly the mens team is faltering but I think the real truth is BCFC is just not sustainable and to compete in the Championship cost too much money. I think the club would rather yo yo from league one to the Championship and hope to get another one off year like 07/08 and maybe one day go up and then be financially set up. It hurst me to say it but until we get relegated again I cant see us progressing. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Even the most ardent Nigel Pearson fan must admit that there has been no progress this season.

I have been 50/50 about him for quite a while but i'm now starting to question where we are going. When you see how teams like Preston  Millwall, Luton and Huddersfield compete in this division we should be on a similar level.

The emergence of Scott and Semenyo have been positives but i don't credit Nige solely for that.

There are signs that there is a team in that lot, Preston away was a really good example of that.

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

People keep saying this but look at United. You know they have talent, they've gone through multiple managers and don't perform anywhere near the level they can. 

United? ... ?

Leeds? Newcastle? West Ham? Scunthorpe? Cambridge? Peterborough? Hartlepool? Southend? Sheffield?

No offence but I hate it when people latch onto the media’s very annoying trait of assuming everyone knows who they mean when they say ‘United’ or ‘City’ - some people on here even say ‘City’ when they mean ‘Manchester City FC’ - how rubbish is that?! There’s only one ‘City’ in these parts ...

• Like 3