IGNORED

Barnsley away match day thread

Just now, bexhill reds said:

No one in the current climate is going to invest in a lower league Championship team with a massive balance sheet hole. The only reason we’ve not gone bust is because of the Lansdowns. I’m not saying the family have got everything right, but I’d rather them than some dubious consortium with no local links and being a bit guarded on the source of their cash..

I get the whole Bristol Sport thing, why not keep all the admin of running two sports teams playing in the same stadium under the same roof, that’s just sensible business practice, economies of scale and all that.

maybe the  only reason we have got into a dark place financially is down to mismanagement by SL in the first place

Plus there will always be a buyer

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
14 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Sorry but without Lansdown we would be in League Two by now. He has backed every manager we've had. Players come to City and do shit, leave and become good again elsewhere. Thats not the owners fault.

I felt we pressed the eject button too quick on Cotts and Johnson Jnr if I'm honest. Fans expectation is part of the problem. We financially cant compete at this level without being a selling club. A state of the art fancy stadium is all well and good, but something has to pay for it. When Semenyo, Massengo and possibly Scott are sold in the summer to clear the 40m debt, well maybe most of it, the club will be focusing on the next youngsters to develop and sell on.

I personally would rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 aging experienced pros who are solid at this level on frees in the summer and then gradually blood in players. The club needs stability, these kids are burnt out with ten games to go and theres no other players here to help them, yet people are getting on the young players backs after they are knackered from 30 odd games of football when they don't have the experience of full seasons.

but with lansdown we’re trying our very best to be in league one right now 

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Players like Andy King, Matty James, Danny Simpson, Chris Brunt, Gary O'Neil?

No, players who are not regressing. There will be teams promoted this year and they will release players who wont make it in the prem, these are the players to go for, solid Championship players.

Every year there are loads of good free agents and the same clubs snap them up, yet we pick up injury prone players all the time. Gary O'Neill imo done well for us.

Warnock at every club hes gone to signs sensible free agents, so has Wilder,  We seem to be late to the party and get the dregs of the barrell and then pay them massive wages and cause a bigger problem.

Set aside the players for a moment. The questions that seem blindingly obvious to some of us regarding training and selection.

Why is our injury record as bad as last season when this was identified as being a key area for improvement at the end of last season?

Why do we keep failing to defend dead ball situations, and end up with situations like Massengo marking the opposition’s tallest player? 

Why do we continually select Martin when he struggles to deal with more than two games in a week? 

Why don’t we gauge fitness and fatigue levels pre-match? Scott was dead on his feet and a shadow of the player he can be from the very first minute.

Why aren’t our players motivated, aggressive and assertive from the first minute? 

Players were crap, but some big questions for the coaches for me. Beginning to develop my first signs of a wobble on Pearson.  Sure they’ll go soon and we will get back on track, but uncomfortable times.

1 minute ago, robin for life said:

No, players who are not regressing. There will be teams promoted this year and they will release players who wont make it in the prem, these are the players to go for, solid Championship players.

Every year there are loads of good free agents and the same clubs snap them up, yet we pick up injury prone players all the time. Gary O'Neill imo done well for us.

Warnock at every club hes gone to signs sensible free agents, so has Wilder,  We seem to be late to the party and get the dregs of the barrell and then pay them massive wages and cause a bigger problem.

?

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He let 10 players go and brought in 5 new faces and returned 2 more. He has 3 players who haven’t really been affected by the squad over the years in Cundy, Scott and Benarous. Spouting anything about the squad is blind excuses supporting a manager with a name. He has been poor tactically and with his in game decisions. His recruitment has been awful. Fleming and Rennie have added nothing to the club. Stop shielding Nigel Pearson. He doesn’t deserve it and we don’t deserve the dross he has been serving up. 

He brought in Atkinson who in my opinion has a lot of potential but again, the current formation doesn't suit any center back looking to grow as they're under far too much pressure when we're having to put players out on the right who aren't comfortable there. We literally don't have a subtle player capable of playing right wing back which means the back 3 are being pulled out of shape far too easily. You can put that issue down to Pearson but I don't believe for a second that Simpson was good choice, I think it was more of a case he didn't have an option there so accepted what he had not knowing that Simpson would disappear on him. 

The fact is that we don't have a RB/RWB in the squad, this means we're essentially forced to play 3 center backs. I don't think Pearson ever expected that to be the case but I also kind of admire the fact that he didn't just grab any old right back in the transfer window knowing that they wouldn't have been good enough to improve us. 

With regards to James and King, he obviously wanted players to come in who he knew would try to impose the right mindset and I do wonder if that is a large part of the issue, that many of the players we have are far to used to doing things a certain way and aren't adapting. 

I also think when Pearson came in he knew the financials, I also think he knew we had no players we could afford to sell at the prices other clubs were offering. It's easy to look at his signings and say "he's been crap" but realistically knowing our financial situation who else could be sign? He hasn't been supported financially at all, he's had to even sign back players he probably never wanted to but had no other choice. 

I think all things considered we're very lucky we're not still in a relegation battle because I've seen many a manager come in, spend more than Pearson has had and still been fighting relegation at this point of the season and that's with better talent in the squad. 

I know you and others think I'm saying Pearson is doing great, but that isn't the case. The set piece defending has been awful this season, Pearson has said they've been working on it but it's still a major issue so I'm that regard he's going to get the blame. I honestly can't understand how so many basic mistakes are being made when defending short of it being down to the players not being able to find confidence in the starting line up. 

Pearson has one more pre-season to change this around, that's obvious, but firing him now would just mean a new manager having to come in, access the situation, but the positions we're lacking in with what is most likely no budget and start fresh. 

Pearson may have had a while to work on this squad but he's not had financial backing and so it'll take multiple seasons to turn this around, it doesn't matter what manager we have, this isn't a quick fix job, it's a rebuild. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, keflav said:

and I'm going to say it why do we keep playing Martin he offers absolutely nothing up front he so slow he has the pace and turning circle of a tug boat, he does not hold the ball up, he dose not link up with the other attackers and is generally a waste of a shirt.... also FFS NP why the **** are you playing Weimann as a wing back.....

To be fair to Martin, if you play the ball into his feet or chest, he is very good at holding the ball up and bring others into play.

Problem is, all we do is launch the ball at him from all angles to his head, but he's not great in the air. Or we launch a ball over the top and expect him to run after it.

It's no coincidence that our best run of form/performances were after Martin had a 3/4 game rest over Christmas/New Year. He needs that sort of break again, but we're just flogging him.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Set aside the players for a moment. The questions that seem blindingly obvious to some of us regarding training and selection.

Why is our injury record as bad as last season when this was identified as being a key area for improvement at the end of last season?

Why do we keep failing to defend dead ball situations, and end up with situations like Massengo marking the opposition’s tallest player? 

Why do we continually select Martin when he struggles to deal with more than two games in a week? 

Why don’t we gauge fitness and fatigue levels pre-match? Scott was dead on his feet and a shadow of the player he can be from the very first minute.

Why aren’t our players motivated, aggressive and assertive from the first minute? 

Players were crap, but some big questions for the coaches for me. Beginning to develop my first signs of a wobble on Pearson.  Sure they’ll go soon and we will get back on track, but uncomfortable times.

Worrying thing for me is, actually the injury situation is much better. Yet we are still as bad. Who would’ve come in to the starting 11 today that’s injured? Tanner probably the only one? And yet we were horrific. Same as the last few weeks. Obviously more injuries added today but until this point we’ve maybe missed 1 key(ish) player through injury yet we’ve been woeful

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

United? ... ?

Leeds? Newcastle? West Ham? Scunthorpe? Cambridge? Peterborough? Hartlepool? Southend? Sheffield?

No offence but I hate it when people latch onto the media’s very annoying trait of assuming everyone knows who they mean when they say ‘United’ or ‘City’ - some people on here even say ‘City’ when they mean ‘Manchester City FC’ - how rubbish is that?! There’s only one ‘City’ in these parts ...

I would expect with my description of having talent and going through multiple managers that it wouldn't be hard to guess which United I was referring to but hey ho. I mean if you're still unsure I was referring to Manchester United FC in the English Premier League. 

Just now, Ivorguy said:

maybe the  only reason we have got into a dark place financially is down to mismanagement by SL in the first place

Plus there will always be a buyer

I think on the whole Landsdowns legacy should be appreciated, that’s not to say that they’ve got every strategy right, and clearly the time full of local players developed in the academy is wishful thinking.

Not sure about the buyer element though, unless the debt can be repackaged, the new owners would need to find a chunk of cash just to break even, and that’s before investing. Who’s got that sort of capital now? Russian money is now a non-starter, I’d be unhappy with some Saudi sportswashing, and be really unsure about Far Eastern investment without a whole heap of due diligence, both in terms of the sourcing of the cash and their experience of running a sports team.

1 minute ago, grifty said:

To be fair to Martin, if you play the ball into his feet or chest, he is very good at holding the ball up and bring others into play.

Problem is, all we do is launch the ball at him from all angles to his head, but he's not great in the air. Or we launch a ball over the top and expect him to run after it.

It's no coincidence that our best run of form/performances were after Martin had a 3/4 game rest over Christmas/New Year. He needs that sort of break again, but we're just flogging him.

That's partially my point he just cant handle the pace looked slow and cumbersome from the first minute, he is not the player we need on the pitch at the moment. Perhaps use him as a sub when we need him but generally I think and I stand by it he is a waste of a shirt at the moment... he is not the way forward and hopefully he is replace in the summer otherwise I fear he will be still out there on his zimmer frame...

The same people who want Lansdown to sell are the same people who would be gutted if he sold to someone like Mike Ashley, but realistically its only that sort of owner  we would have any appeal to. Lansdown wants City to succeed, but at the same time he knows we are not financially in a position to do so. No matter what owner you have that wont change.  The new ashton gate is lovely and all that but is definitely a huge contribution to the financial mess we're in. 

Ideal Scenario

players out  

Palmer, Baker , Vyner , king , James, Martin. Bakinson, Klose, Cundy , Moore, O’dowda.

new  CB x2, RB , DCM , RW, LW, CF x1

keep

, Scott , Semenyo , massengo  and wells (just give him a start) 

team for rest of season. 

Bentley 

Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson, Dasilva    

Williams   

Scott                 Massengo 

Wiemann

Semenyo         Wells. 

• Haha 1