IGNORED

Barnsley away match day thread

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

To be fair to Martin, if you play the ball into his feet or chest, he is very good at holding the ball up and bring others into play.

Problem is, all we do is launch the ball at him from all angles to his head, but he's not great in the air. Or we launch a ball over the top and expect him to run after it.

It's no coincidence that our best run of form/performances were after Martin had a 3/4 game rest over Christmas/New Year. He needs that sort of break again, but we're just flogging him.

I have to agree with this, I think most of our issues come down to formation. With 3 at the back the opposition only needs to mark up our wide positions and our two deep midfielders and it forces a long pass as the 3 at the back means one less option in midfield. Even with a basic 4-4-2 out means when playing out of defence you double your wide options with short passing and create more triangles to move the ball in. I think if we can get a couple of good right sided players in during the pre-season we'd instantly be in a much stronger position for tactical options /changes. Looking at the squad I would argue we don't have a single natural wife right sided player in defence or midfield. Pearson is essentially playing the 3-5-2 because if he were to play 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 you'd have at least two players out of their natural positions. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Worrying thing for me is, actually the injury situation is much better. Yet we are still as bad. Who would’ve come in to the starting 11 today that’s injured? Tanner probably the only one? And yet we were horrific. Same as the last few weeks. Obviously more injuries added today but until this point we’ve maybe missed 1 key(ish) player through injury yet we’ve been woeful

Yep. Tanner add Kalas, plus King on bench.

James and Williams are/were being nursed back and not 100%. Add Cundy and Atkinson to the recovery, not fully up-to-speed group.  Williams now broken again with Scott injured.

Can’t recall, was O’Leary on the bench? Simpson was obviously not fit enough and has gone. 

6 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Ideal Scenario

players out  

Palmer, Baker , Vyner , king , James, Martin. Bakinson, Klose, Cundy , Moore, O’dowda.

new  CB x2, RB , DCM , RW, LW, CF x1

keep

, Scott , Semenyo , massengo  and wells (just give him a start) 

Why get a player like Cundy to develop, break into the team, then let him go? Cundy would be solid back up at this level. Also Klose has been brilliant since he came, and is very solid at the back. He has the experience we need at the back, and he is only getting to full match fitness now. He was a cheap signing and I personally would give him another year, even if he isn't a starter, he wont be on a huge wage at his age, and he would be excellent cover should we get injuries and s solid at this level.

Agree with the others.

I would cash in on Semenyo, he isn't as good as the hype and if theres 15-20m on the table, bite their hands off, he can be replaced with half that money. Scott has a long contract so we dont need to sell yet. Massengo I doubt will sign a new deakl, so we have to sell in the summer to try and recoup what we paid for him. 

Edited by robin for life
18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Worrying thing for me is, actually the injury situation is much better. Yet we are still as bad. Who would’ve come in to the starting 11 today that’s injured? Tanner probably the only one? And yet we were horrific. Same as the last few weeks. Obviously more injuries added today but until this point we’ve maybe missed 1 key(ish) player through injury yet we’ve been woeful

It's not just who did or didn't play in one off games though is it, it's about building partnerships around the pitch (centre backs, midfield, up and down the flanks, you know what I mean) through playing over and over again around the same people, and we just haven't been able to do that. No wonder they look so disjointed at times.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

No one is surprised, and that's the problem 

Teams in the bottom three are more dangerous than any others about this time of the season. Teams like ours are going nowhere, lots of the teams aiming for a top 6 finish are nervous and bottle it. Bottom three clubs though play out of their skin. 

That said, my main gripe with Nigel Pearson is why the f- can't a former professional defender get our back line organised to defend corners. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Teams in the bottom three are more dangerous than any others about this time of the season. Teams like ours are going nowhere, lots of the teams aiming for a top 6 finish are nervous and bottle it. Bottom three clubs though play out of their skin. 

That said, my main gripe with Nigel Pearson is why the f- can't a former professional defender get our back line organised to defend corners. 

I completely agree. Don't mistake anger for shock, nobody is surprised Barnsley turned us over with ease. Sadly it seems our staff and players didn't see it coming. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Oh come on, I get it's annoying when we play like crap and get beaten but I don't think "A player looked like he might be good 3 - 4 years ago" is really a fair rebuttal.

A lot on here said they'd take sorting the wages out a bit, staying up, and seeing a load of our promising youngsters get game time and kick on. That's exactly what we've got.

It's definitely not been pretty but this season is pretty much what I expected so I'm not throwing my toys out just yet personally.

I have said Semenyo has got better so not really disagreeing with you there.  I don't think "a load of our promising youngsters get game time and kick on" has happened.  "get game time" perhaps but more through circumstance than Pearson's design.

Also, I'm not sure we have definitely stayed up.  It would be very surprising to be relegated from here but there is always one team who gets dragged into the relegation fight.  Maybe losing tonight wasn't that significant; but losing to Barnsley is!

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

United? ... ?

Leeds? Newcastle? West Ham? Scunthorpe? Cambridge? Peterborough? Hartlepool? Southend? Sheffield?

No offence but I hate it when people latch onto the media’s very annoying trait of assuming everyone knows who they mean when they say ‘United’ or ‘City’ - some people on here even say ‘City’ when they mean ‘Manchester City FC’ - how rubbish is that?! There’s only one ‘City’ in these parts ...

Well that United cheered me up a bit tonight.

• Flames 1
35 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

There are signs that there is a team in that lot, Preston away was a really good example of that.

I thought we looked really good at Preston but I had one reservation at the time and it was that Preston had a physically demanding game at West Brom on the Wednesday night. I thought they struggled to get up for the match. Nine times out of ten we would have buried them. 

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

I would expect with my description of having talent and going through multiple managers that it wouldn't be hard to guess which United I was referring to but hey ho. I mean if you're still unsure I was referring to Manchester United FC in the English Premier League. 

As I said, no offence, and it’s obviously nothing personal - but your description of a ‘united’ could be levelled at a few clubs who have ‘united’ as their suffix - especially Leeds and Newcastle ...

36 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Go on......

Was stood next to them. 

Nothing too 'dramatic' but just people voicing their frustrations. Pearson stood and listened before heading off down the tunnel. 

After tonight I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to complain, especially after making that journey. Pearson didn't look massively impressed but obviously understood why there was such frustration from the support 

• Like 1
Just now, JBFC II said:

Was stood next to them. 

Nothing too 'dramatic' but just people voicing their frustrations. Pearson stood and listened before heading off down the tunnel. 

After tonight I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to complain, especially after making that journey. Pearson didn't look massively impressed but obviously understood why there was such frustration from the support 

In the interview above he said he couldn't disagree with them! I assume it was about the game rather than him in that case..!

Just now, IAmNick said:

In the interview above he said he couldn't disagree with them! I assume it was about the game rather than him in that case..!

Mainly about the game with some frustration aimed at him from what I could hear. No surprise he couldn't disagree, we weren't very good tonight and anyone travelling all the way up to Barnsley deserved better! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Mainly about the game with some frustration aimed at him from what I could hear. No surprise he couldn't disagree, we weren't very good tonight and anyone travelling all the way up to Barnsley deserved better! 

Without question, or at least something a fair bit stronger in the free drink...

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We're poor on the road and Barnsley are fighting for their lives. Not sure why anyone was surprised by that. ?

Not surprised, but if we were in Barnsley’s position I believe we wouldn’t have the fight in us. That’s my worry. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Daniro said:

Same!   It's insane

I quite agree. I really want NP to succeed here, but at times we're so painful to watch, and he has to be responsible for at least some of this. That being said, how a group of professional footballers fail to do the absolute basics of defending is beyond me, Dan Bentley must be losing his nut watching the shambles in front of him, the lad has no chance. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, robin for life said:

Sorry but without Lansdown we would be in League Two by now. He has backed every manager we've had. Players come to City and do shit, leave and become good again elsewhere. Thats not the owners fault.

I felt we pressed the eject button too quick on Cotts and Johnson Jnr if I'm honest. Fans expectation is part of the problem. We financially cant compete at this level without being a selling club. A state of the art fancy stadium is all well and good, but something has to pay for it. When Semenyo, Massengo and possibly Scott are sold in the summer to clear the 40m debt, well maybe most of it, the club will be focusing on the next youngsters to develop and sell on.

I personally would rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 aging experienced pros who are solid at this level on frees in the summer and then gradually blood in players. The club needs stability, these kids are burnt out with ten games to go and theres no other players here to help them, yet people are getting on the young players backs after they are knackered from 30 odd games of football when they don't have the experience of full seasons.

TBH, I don’t understand why young players get burnt out especially when they are supposed to be athletes.  

8 hours ago, robin for life said:

The same people who want Lansdown to sell are the same people who would be gutted if he sold to someone like Mike Ashley, but realistically its only that sort of owner  we would have any appeal to. Lansdown wants City to succeed, but at the same time he knows we are not financially in a position to do so. No matter what owner you have that wont change.  The new ashton gate is lovely and all that but is definitely a huge contribution to the financial mess we're in. 

Agreed, I don’t want The Landsdown’s to sell, and I’m backing NP to get It right on the pitch. The foundations have been laid off it,  it’s going to be a few more seasons until we are a top 10 team.
We’ve always been a middle to bottom championship team, with being a big fish in league 1.  Once we all except that we can move forward.  Expectations are always to high, from us fans, yes we have played better and more consistent over the years, but we are what we are, and we’ve haven’t improved since we’ve came back up all those years ago. 

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

We managed to beat a side missing their top scorer, and on an appalling run of form,  who   can hardly buy a goal, and who's confidence is rock bottom.   Every dog has it's day....if you see that as some kind of epiphany, then I believe your sorely mistaken.  We are a very very average football team, who are extremely fortunate that 2 clubs had points deducted.   

Yes we are, and that's where we're at... it's about time fans accepted that.

It's not going to change this season, so no point continually whinging. We need to re-assess in the summer, be that with or without Pearson.

It's not Pearson's fault the club is ******. Right manager at the wrong time so far in my opinion.

• Like 1