IGNORED

Barnsley away match day thread

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolutely no reason to ‘fix’ Pongo88’s post?! I thought he or she was spot on with their original ‘unfixed’ post - it’s actually quite annoying when people feel the need to ‘fix’ someone’s post by editing it ... 

I'll apologies unreservedly for any percieved slight. Short-sighted post from myself.

Was more that in our case it was our esteemed (former) all knowing head of football operations that was responsible for spending our chairman's money more than anybody.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

TBH, I don’t understand why young players get burnt out especially when they are supposed to be athletes.  

Probably a faster game now but I don’t recall the likes of Gerry Gow getting burnt out. And let’s face it the training, fitness, conditioning and diets etc are streets ahead of where they were back in the day. 

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Agreed, I don’t want The Landsdown’s to sell, and I’m backing NP to get It right on the pitch. The foundations have been laid off it,  it’s going to be a few more seasons until we are a top 10 team.
We’ve always been a middle to bottom championship team, with being a big fish in league 1.  Once we all except that we can move forward.  Expectations are always to high, from us fans, yes we have played better and more consistent over the years, but we are what we are, and we’ve haven’t improved since we’ve came back up all those years ago. 

And there people is the exact acceptance of mediocrity that has led to the team we have today.

Dobson have no ambition? Why should we accept it? It's crap!

We are where we are, what absolute losing garbage you spout 

Apart from the fact that Martin gets picked for every game and offers us absolutely nothing, why has nobody questioned why Pring is not being picked? He's big, strong, talented and our best left sided player at the moment and offers more options than DaSilva (though he did have a reasonably decent game last night to be fair).

Scott is our best right wingback at the moment even though that is not his natural position and Andi Weimann needs to play a more advanced role. Wells, Semenyo and Weimann should work well as a front 3 or a 1/2 or 2/1 and we have not seen this used all season.

We don't seem to have any sort of plan or to have practised any moves from corners and free kicks and when we get a throw in, we wait until everyone is marked before taking it rather than taking a quick one.

Finally, we really need to sort out our marking on set pieces. Players who are not used to zonal marking always struggle with it unless they are top class.  It has to be man to man with this team.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, P'head Red said:

I quite agree. I really want NP to succeed here, but at times we're so painful to watch, and he has to be responsible for at least some of this. That being said, how a group of professional footballers fail to do the absolute basics of defending is beyond me, Dan Bentley must be losing his nut watching the shambles in front of him, the lad has no chance. 

Several times Bentley was absolutely furious with the other players. He completely lost it once and was rigid with rage.

He is captain but most of his communicating seems to be him screaming. I honestly think some of them are so used to it they switch off. If it ever was affective it doesn’t appear to be now as he fails to get a response most of the time.

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

Several times Bentley was absolutely furious with the other players. He completely lost it once and was rigid with rage.

He is captain but most of his communicating seems to be him screaming. I honestly think some of them are so used to it they switch off. If it ever was affective it doesn’t appear to be now as he fails to get a response most of the time.

Good point. Captaincy should be about leadership. And good leadership isn’t about screaming at people. 

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

Nice to see @RedM channelling her inner Barbara Cartland (or is it Jackie Collins?)

To be serious, I agree that Bentley screaming will be counter-productive, but it probably won't make them perform noticably worse. There seems to be little communication throughout the team, and they all seem to go off and do their own thing. Which would be fine if they were a bunch of sixth-formers on a free period ...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Yes we are, and that's where we're at... it's about time fans accepted that.

It's not going to change this season, so no point continually whinging. We need to re-assess in the summer, be that with or without Pearson.

It's not Pearson's fault the club is ******. Right manager at the wrong time so far in my opinion.

I think people keep forgetting the constraints we're operating under, its hard but let's be grateful we have some promising young players and not dwell on the poor results.

Pearson has done ok I think he's given some young players a good look during this period because he's got little choice. But also gives him an idea of whether they are good enough.

I think its important to note its often hard to get a result against a bottom team as they are fighting for their life.

5 hours ago, frenchred said:

And there people is the exact acceptance of mediocrity that has led to the team we have today.

I don’t think it should be about an acceptance of mediocrity. But it should be about an understanding of the reality of where we are as a football club in the Championship. I don’t accept that we should have been turning out mediocrity for most of the time I’ve followed City since 1966. But I see a reality of where we are in the football world. I feel most angry at how this has been allowed to happen, along with shooting ourselves in the foot when we have built an upward momentum. Think our last well balanced side, built with what appeared to be planed and identified recruitment, very successful with tons of momentum. Yes, Cotts side of 2015. Look at the contrasting lack of planning and support when we went up. Think of LJ’s 17/18 Cup run, 2nd place in December to Wolves, who found a style of high press, energetic play (was that our identity, our DNA, or just stumbled on by accident!) that was attractive and seemed successful. Okay that tailed away miserably. However, what did we do (yes, I know, the loss of Reid, Bryan and Flint was not to be underestimated), but pretty much rip up the style book the following season and change plan about 3 times over the subsequent seasons. We don’t stick to our plans even if I sometimes doubt we have one!

We have paid the price on spending a lot of money (relative to our history), since we came back up in 2015, to basically be a lower mid table side that has failed to make the play-offs when well placed on 2 or 3 occasions. The cupboard is now pretty much bare, save selling off our most hopeful assets which puts us back to square one. Coventry, Millwall, Luton know what and where they are, and are trying to progress accordingly.

I would suggest that apart from a few cup runs, 2 short periods in the top tier and lower league yoyoing, we have a very, very mediocre history over our 127(?) years.

The trouble is our management from top down talk the talk of sleeping giant catchment area, massive potential, build nice stands, buildings infrastructure, etc., but when it comes to the nitty gritty of footballing knowledge decision making are at best mediocre and cautious, but more often totally inept.

Which brings me back to plans and managers. Brentford and Swansea the most obvious. They had a plan 10-15 years earlier and was reflected in the style of play, and subsequent recruitment of managers and players. Swansea may struggle again, but have tasted success, and still play decent football. Before we do anything about our manager, we have to seriously ask questions about “Our Plan/Vision” of our board of directors/owners. Yes, SL and the rest are not beyond criticism however uncomfortable, nice stadiums, training grounds, well-meaning benefactors... but would appear woefully short in terms of footballing world nous and direction. To their credit, the best decisions made seem to be in terms of investing in young academy talent which does seem to be bearing some fruit. Wider recruitment seems to be a different story of wasting resources and money. 

Oh and by the way, I think Pearson knows all this sh*t anyway, but probably didn’t realise how crap the mediocre footballing mentality was at the club. Will he see it through? Who knows...but I get the distinct feeling he will clear a lot of the crap ready for someone to start with a more stable base again. Let’s hope the whole club wake up and get out of the total staleness that has developed since that brief 3 month glimmer of  “ what could be” excitement at the back end of 2017.

Still, mustn’t grumble...

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nice to see @RedM channelling her inner Barbara Cartland (or is it Jackie Collins?)

To be serious, I agree that Bentley screaming will be counter-productive, but it probably won't make them perform noticably worse. There seems to be little communication throughout the team, and they all seem to go off and do their own thing. Which would be fine if they were a bunch of sixth-formers on a free period ...

I was actually going to write stiff with rage, but thought better of it ?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Right manager at the wrong time so far in my opinion.

I think so too. Should have gone for him after Cotts and give him the backing LJ had. 

Instead SL went for someone he knew and felt comfortable, trusted not to rock his boat or publicly challenge, more in control with LJ. Cotts was too abrasive for SL.

Now to be fair, it was on the surface a brave SL appointment. LJ looks a knowledgeable young, modern coach type. And to be fair again, isn’t a bad coach. However, as I say, he was safe for SL, as far as in character/personality. Now I get that nobody wants to work with a spikey, disruptive person as it can bring down a whole organisation. But there are times you need to get someone to take you out of that comfort zone to move you up a gear. That’s something definetly needed in Bristol City’s case.

Think we may be six years too late with NP, although I think and hope in retrospect that we may look back and see that he will have started to implement a more competitive and less comfort zone mentality within the club, however painful this period is now. 

13 hours ago, Fuber said:

I'll apologies unreservedly for any percieved slight. Short-sighted post from myself.

Was more that in our case it was our esteemed (former) all knowing head of football operations that was responsible for spending our chairman's money more than anybody.

No need to apologise Fuber - really appreciate your reply though. It has been a very frustrating few years - five years ago it felt like we had a bit of momentum building up, we were flying high in the championship and a major cup competition and the spotlight was on us and our potential. It sort of seems to have come crashing down somewhat and here we are rebuilding once again - oh well. Happy Wednesday mate ... ?