IGNORED

Worst team In 40 years

Topper 123

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

1. Posters are disagreeing with the statement "worst team in 40 years" 

2. By doing so, no-one's saying they're happy 

3. No-one's saying we're any good, most rational supporters understand why we're 18th

4. I don't disagree with some of your points but most of the negatives you list are not of Pearson's making

5. Yes progress is slow but anyone with a brain can work out this summer will be the manager's opportunity to straighten us out

6. In doing so, he might have to sell some of those youngsters you clearly don't rate - so happy days for you, eh?

7. In the meantime, enjoy the bed wetting     

Point 3 most rational supporters understand why we’re 18th WHY can the rational supporters tell me why we sounded 30 points or so in the last 10 minutes or less of matches or why we lost to 10 men Coventry when in front WHY 

1 minute ago, Magger1 said:

Point 3 most rational supporters understand why we’re 18th WHY can the rational supporters tell me why we sounded 30 points or so in the last 10 minutes or less of matches or why we lost to 10 men Coventry when in front WHY 

Cos Cov had ten men believing they could do it/us and we had eleven fearing we might blow it. Collectively, we are mentally fragile.

33 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Team that lost to Rotherham on 20 March 2021: Bentley; Hunt Mariappa Kalas Sessegnon; Palmer, Walsh, Massengo, O’Dowda; Wells, Diedhiou. 
Only two that started last night. 

That for me was a better team 

28 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He isn't paid 30 grand a week.

You say he ain’t I say he is 

10 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

With add ons pretty close 

5F797A21-43FC-4586-B6C4-37C878972EA1.jpeg

Whilst I suspect Wells is on something of the magnitude of £25k+ p.w. these websites need to be taken with a pinch of salt.  Their sources are media, Football Manager database, etc, etc, plus likely to be out of date too.

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I beg to differ 3 years ago we finished 8th 

2years ago 12 th 

last year 19th and at present sit 18th but way we’re playing can’t see us bettering that 

Fair, but lies, damn lies and statistics - we’re not great, but think when you consider the players we have right now (not great) compared to the performances we got from ‘better’ collections of players over the last few years, we’re doing about how I’d expect compared to massively underachieving.

I love the way everyone seems to be defending the assertion that our present team is ........".Not our worst team ever" , as if it is some kind of badge of honour?   Surely, this or that team were probably even worse?

What a pathetic and sad state of affairs when our main bone of contention is the awfulness of various City teams?   Why isn't it just agreed, that with regard to the high wages and reputations of the present squad, the ludicrous misnomer of "The High Performance Centre" and our current displays..........that we are at this time in the History of Bristol City FC, a sad under performing rabble, with no pride or discernible dignity......from the Manager, the coaches, and down to the  playing squad....with just a few notable exceptions?  ?

• Like 1

It is very easy to get in to 'recency' with all this, particularly given how poor we were last night.

Objectively however, this is not the worst team in the last 40 years. Lets say we finish 20th (boo!) this year. Over the last 40 years we have finished in a better league position 10 times, equalled this position once, and 29 times finished in a worse league position than 20th in the second league. As an aside I have watched us play every one of those seasons.

Our longest run in the top two leagues was 16 seasons between 1965/66 and 1980/81. Other than that period, assuming we stay up, this run of 8 seasons in the second league is our best run since WW1, our previous best run of 11 ending in promotion to the top league. If league position is the measure ultimately of how good we are, this squad are in the top third teams of the last 40 years.

I am getting old, but there is an argument that having played 12 of the last 14 years at second league football, believe it or not these are the 'good times' following this club.

Other clubs are available. Not for me of course.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Unsure this bit is accurate but happy to go back and check.

12 lost from 80 mins onwards, but if it's goals to points we also gained 9 probably- be it goal to go from defeat to draw or draw to win- net figure 3.

Scoring first and not winning vs clawing back from losing positions- this is at any time not last 10, we are 15 worse off net.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I must admit mate I should read before post , I do sound drunk but it boils your piss don’t it 

I actually don't think you're far wrong. In terms of quality they aren't the worst, but that makes it even more frustrating.

I only called you an idiot cos you called all of us idiots haha

The worst? Doubt it- bottom end League One in the not too distant past, the YTS in the 1980s albeit before my time and some grinding mediocrity in the 1990s at times?

However pound for pound last season and maybe LJ's final season we can make a case that these were the worst- in some respects. Never had so much been spent for so little return in our history, although this League is a money pit tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

It is very easy to get in to 'recency' with all this, particularly given how poor we were last night.

Objectively however, this is not the worst team in the last 40 years. Lets say we finish 20th (boo!) this year. Over the last 40 years we have finished in a better league position 10 times, equalled this position once, and 29 times finished in a worse league position than 20th in the second league. As an aside I have watched us play every one of those seasons.

Our longest run in the top two leagues was 16 seasons between 1965/66 and 1980/81. Other than that period, assuming we stay up, this run of 8 seasons in the second league is our best run since WW1, our previous best run of 11 ending in promotion to the top league. If league position is the measure ultimately of how good we are, this squad are in the top third teams of the last 40 years.

I am getting old, but there is an argument that having played 12 of the last 14 years at second league football, believe it or not these are the 'good times' following this club.

Other clubs are available. Not for me of course.

Whichever division you/we are in, there's a certain minimum number of games you need to win - or a limit to how many games/weeks you can go without a win, before a significant percentage of yer crowd lose their rag - to keep people reasonably calm/satisfied.

In a 46 game season that number of wins will be somewhere around 15 (14-16) minimum, meaning on average you're winning once in every three and not going months without a win. Unless LJ is on one of his hot or cold streaks. 

Winning makes supporters feel good, very good; not winning denies them that feeling. We are addicted to the buzz of feel-good hormones that flood our bodies when we win. To feeling prowed. 

When we don’t win and are forced into cold-turkey, we are agitated and unreasonable, and someone will know about it, and someone must pay. 

Some people can put the defeats and not-winning streaks into context and soothe their disappointment accordingly; others are more reactive and lose their shit more rapidly.

Whatever division we are (the top, the middle ones, the bottom) in after a while and the initial euphoria or depression has receded, we return to our ordinary levels of contentment and or disappointment. And our aching need to win the next game, and feel the buzz again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

I love the way everyone seems to be defending the assertion that our present team is ........".Not our worst team ever" , as if it is some kind of badge of honour?   Surely, this or that team were probably even worse?

It reminds me of a scene in the Fawlty Towers episode with the two American doctors, where the husband is criticising the standard and claims the hotel is the worst in the country.

The Major, loyal as ever, steps in to say:

’No, I wont have that. There’s a hotel in Eastbourne!’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

You lead with Russell Osman, I'll raise you with Tony Pulis 

Osman was also tasked with keeping us in the Chsmpionship with about 60p to spend, amongst others he signed Tinnion & Shail.

That *** Pulis spent a fortune whilst we were a League One side, the “football” was shit & we were bottom half when he left.

Absolutely no contest.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1