IGNORED

Well I don't like having players on the posts.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.thumb.jpeg.12cd861d5888fede93c93d68e3aeacab.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.2be733f5dcfc913ed2210ab2f2e99de7.jpeg

Putting aside the pain of watching us capitulate to the same Barnsley move (and the fact that arguably a free kick should have been given against their player on the front post blocking our (feeble) attempt to get to the cross), I actually think both goals could have been prevented by simply having a man placed on the six yard box, some 2 or 3 yards in front of the post. Such a player would cut out the low, fast cross to the front post. Consequently a higher trajectory cross would be in the air longer and give most 'normal' defence's more time to pick out the cross and clear. There again we are talking about a defence that consistently fails to meet 'normal' standards!

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Rather leave a player up field, then the opposition will leave two back.

This really bugs me. When we, that should be if we actually clear a ball from a corner, it comes straight back. Their defence has time to set, assess and attack again. If we leave a player up at least it could delay the ball coming back into the box, or even lead to a break. 

As for men at the post. I get the theory in that article @Davefevs, but as we don't seem to win that first (or 2nd ) ball, then surely we have to right the error (that inevitably occurs). I've always been a fan of someone on the back post, or covering the line at least. As we always bring everyone back there should be a spare player that could do that.

• Admin
2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Rather leave a player up field, then the opposition will leave two back.

I often wonder how many players a defending side could leave up front whilst defending a corner?

Say we have five attacking players on the halfway line surely this negates the attacking team having as many players in the box?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I often wonder how many players a defending side could leave up front whilst defending a corner?

Say we have five attacking players on the halfway line surely this negates the attacking team having as many players in the box?

A game of cat and mouse.

Our goal v Coventry (h) was a result of them leaving 2 up, but us deciding to only keep 2 back instead of 2+1.  It meant Scott and Dasilva could work the short corner.  It also meant either Weimann or Martin weren’t double marked, and voila….goal.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Like the thinking, I believe Coventry left 2 up on an occasion and we left 3 back?

https://youtu.be/D05EmdlsM0A

Personally, one on the back post. 

And leave 1 up. 

Keepers always have a better chance at the near post. It's the back post ones that do them more often.  Not to mention the back post guy can see the whole play so knows exactly when to push out. 

Man post - kicker. 

Leave 1 up - 2 back for them. 

That in principle leaves you 1 Free, for the short corner 

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But, Dave, what do the stats say about teams that are completely and utterly useless at defending the first ball in? Is there a stats breakdown for that? There must be a special Bristol City and Reading stats subsection. I mean, if you just accept you are useless at defending the cross, does that change anything? Those stats lump us in with competent and semi-competent teams. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

But, Dave, what do the stats say about teams that are completely and utterly useless at defending the first ball in? Is there a stats breakdown for that? There must be a special Bristol City and Reading stats subsection. I mean, if you just accept you are useless at defending the cross, does that change anything? Those stats lump us in with competent and semi-competent teams. ?

Just seen Nige down screwfix buying a packet of cable-ties!! ?

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2022 at 08:54, Davefevs said:

Yeah good article Dave. And I see that having players not on the posts allows better player coverage for marking. But our extra available players do not pick any body up . So cause no advantage .

So could players on our posts not turn into an advantage. 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 1