IGNORED

In conversation with ..... Alan DIcks : Manager 1967-1981

headhunter

I was privileged to recently have the company of Alan Dicks as he shared with me his memories of managing City in this special episode of our Forever Bristol City podcast:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-former-city-manager-alan-dicks/  [also on Google, Spotify & Apple]

If you are over 60 you’ll be able to recall most of what former manager Alan Dicks has to say in this fascinating insight into his time at Ashton Gate. If you are younger then it offers the chance to hear tales from a man who took City to the top flight 46 years ago.

When he became manager at City in October 1967 he was only 33 – that’s younger than LJ was and he’d not even had a no.1 role!

In this interview you’ll hear Alan recount stories involving Jimmy Hill, Tommy Docherty, & Bryan Robson to name just a few. Also how Norman Hunter was never going to stay, Gary Collier leaving on freedom of contract and how, when his time at City came to an end, he wasn’t actually fired but instead rejected the chance to move upstairs and be finance director!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Was talking at the senior reds lunch today, recounted having the then Man U manager Tommy Doc up against the wall because he said something Dicks didn't like 

Legend....

Think AD enjoyed telling that story about Docherty, probably the aggression goes back to him twice increasing the price for your namesake Galley!

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 11:06, headhunter said:

I was privileged to recently have the company of Alan Dicks as he shared with me his memories of managing City in this special episode of our Forever Bristol City podcast:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-former-city-manager-alan-dicks/  [also on Google, Spotify & Apple]

If you are over 60 you’ll be able to recall most of what former manager Alan Dicks has to say in this fascinating insight into his time at Ashton Gate. If you are younger then it offers the chance to hear tales from a man who took City to the top flight 46 years ago.

When he became manager at City in October 1967 he was only 33 – that’s younger than LJ was and he’d not even had a no.1 role!

In this interview you’ll hear Alan recount stories involving Jimmy Hill, Tommy Docherty, & Bryan Robson to name just a few. Also how Norman Hunter was never going to stay, Gary Collier leaving on freedom of contract and how, when his time at City came to an end, he wasn’t actually fired but instead rejected the chance to move upstairs and be finance director!

The fact that Dicksy was offered the financial director post tells you everything about how chaotic the admin of the club was at that time.  Might as well have appointed Gerry Gow as club dentist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The fact that Dicksy was offered the financial director post tells you everything about how chaotic the admin of the club was at that time.  Might as well have appointed Gerry Gow as club dentist.

Can you imagine that?

Would have cost a fortune in string and broken door handles......

• Haha 3

Lovely interview, and my favourite quote is about a quip from Gerry Gow, following our 1-0, opening day victory at Highbury in '76/77.

Gow: Hey boss, I believe I didn't play at Arsenal.

Dicks: I said, what do you mean?

Gow: I'm never in the game on the television!

Edited by Curr Avon