IGNORED

Chris Martin

Bristol Rob

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

that last point is the one. IF we had a scouting system. We basically don't, well we didn't for last summer anyway. No doubt a big reason we basically had to re-sign Baker and Weimann, and brougjht in King/Simpson/James were because there was quite literally no other options that could be put to Pearson after Ashton took away our entire 'scouting' team.

I've no doubt that's true but I also struggle to think of comparable defenders available on a free last summer who were better than Baker. Tom Lees was the other serious rumour. He might have been better in hindsight but he was not a definite upgrade and it might be he would have chosen Huddersfield anyway. Once we decided we were spending the bulk of the budget on Atkinson, re-signing Baker was probably the sensible move at the time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've no doubt that's true but I also struggle to think of comparable defenders available on a free last summer who were better than Baker. Tom Lees was the other serious rumour. He might have been better in hindsight but he was not a definite upgrade and it might be he would have chosen Huddersfield anyway. Once we decided we were spending the bulk of the budget on Atkinson, re-signing Baker was probably the sensible move at the time. 

I hope we use the loan system to help our defence. It’s tragic to watch. The amount of crosses we let into the box makes my head spin 

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Don’t know how anyone can not see that this makes complete sense in literally every way. 

Played loads of minutes, scored really important goals, key player from defending set pieces (even though he shouldn’t be), and an extremely experienced pro that’ll help the youngsters. Would cost a pretty penny trying to replace him if we were to let him go. 

Completely agree, I for one am glad to have a player who busts a gut for his wages every week.

A top pro, who's experience and nouse will be a good example for the youngsters to follow.

Well earned Chris.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I hope we use the loan system to help our defence. It’s tragic to watch. The amount of crosses we let into the box makes my head spin 

I actually thought it was a tactic by letting all those balls into the box, not getting tight to your man, thus letting him cross at will, it was so blatantly obvious. Lets hope this gets addressed in the summer transfer window, if we could tighten the defence up, well who knows.............

• Like 2

Don't think it has sunk into a lot of our fanbase that we aren't going to be spending money on a plethora of signings like we were used to under LJ from now on.

He's been reliable given the amount of minutes he has played (his performance levels in a midweek game dropping after a full 90 aren't the same I know) but he has still been ever-present for us and when the team gets it right Martin is at the centre of it. 

We are not going to make any money off of him transfer fee wise, and I cannot see us getting anyone in better than him on a free so it is a good idea to keep him here.

If we can keep some reliable old heads around the place whilst we shift off players like Palmer/Wells/Moore/Vyner/COD/Bakinson etc then we might build a more well-rounded and financially efficient squad.

But it takes time, add to what we got when we can if it is the right deal and we might see some steady progression. 

We are not the playoff pushing "Premier League team in waiting" anymore, that time is gone. I'm thankful our club is still around and trying to move forward in a pragmatic way instead of moving under some fake dream like we have been used to for the last five years or so. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

A good bit of business by the club. Decent player at this level when rotated and used correctly.

The forward line as we all know isn’t the issue and if we can possibly keep Semenyo in the summer I don’t actually  think its a deal breaker if we don’t bring another forward in on a permanent deal.

It’s the defence that needs the money (if there is any) in the summer spent on it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Disappointed to hear Martin will be with us for another season.

Doesn't bode well.

I think if we sign another striker so that Martin can start 15 games instead of 46 then you will see a more consistent Martin.  With the position we are in financially this is a sensible move from City. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't really want Martin playing 3 games a week

That's the only caveat for me.

Good player, vastly experienced at this level but you can't play him every game in an ideal world.

Needs an understudy or outright competition for that role.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would be good if we can find a player to do the Martin role so we can rotate that position a bit next season when we go 433.

Don't really want Martin playing 3 games a week.

Martin and the Martin role isn't a given for all games 4-3-3...

Bentley

Tanner-Kalas-Atkinson-Pring

James Williams Massengo

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

Scott can also pull wider out of possession, as can Semenyo so the full backs aren't screwed with a 2 v 1.

Then consider options such as DaSilva also at LB, Klose and Baker subject to staying and fitness- Vyner has his uses as a rotation option but we can narrow or expand within the shape while retaining an overall 4-3-3- fitness and form permitting.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Just started listening to the press conference and Nige says "It's triggered by his appearances".

There we go.

And I can imagine if Pearson didn’t want him around next season he’d have made sure he didn’t hit the trigger point, so seems both parties are happy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, robin for life said:

The article in the post is pretty clear We had the option to extend it by one year if we wanted to. Not Martin could extend it if he wanted to. Pearson has stated its about rewarding his play. Its not an extension based on appearances and so on, its basically, that we could trigger an extra year on the same terms in his final season of contract if they wanted to. Basically when Martin signed here, he agreed terms and wages and so on, and would have had in place, that in the final year of the contract, the contract can be renewed on the same terms for another 12 months if the club wanted to. That will mean next year is again his final year of contract, so next season if we wanted to, we could renew it on the same terms. A lot of older players sign contracts like this, as they dont have to renegotiate wages with clubs to extend a contract. I,e say you sign at 30, and 3 years later you're out of contract, the club may offer you less money to stay, so quite often a player leaves to look for a new role. The way Martin has done it means that he agrees a 2 year deal on x amount a week, but makes it clear I am happy to see my career out on these terms, as long as he stays fit, plays well and is deemed value for that wage the club will keep extending it and he's got a contract he's happy with. Had he wanted a 4 or 5 year deal a couple of years ago, the club wouldn't have signed him, but by agreeing a 2 year deal, with a standard activation clause to renew on the same terms for another year in the final 12 months at the clubs request, he could end up getting 4 or 5 years at a club and see out his career on the terms he wanted, because he's played well and been good value to the club. Quite a few 30yo+ players do deals like this if they know their legs will hold up and they want to play and are not greedy. I seem to recall Barry Bannan at Sheffield Wednesday is on a rolling contract now, he signed for 2 years with a year add on each year if the club wanted it. When they got relegated I remember reading he didn't know if Sheff Wed could honour is contract and offered to be sold if they wanted him to leave, but stated his desire to play. 

Its all about whether a player is looking for a pay day, or a play day!

In the WBA presser NP said it was triggered by number of appearances. 

• Like 1

He's a reliable pro and still an useful member for the team, so having him for another season is good news IMO, especially considering our financial problems.

That being said, I think Nigel has used him too much this season, a choice that has been a risk (of injury) and a waste of ressources (Wells snubbed): it would be interesting to know what plans the coach has for him, especially considering that Wells could leave and in case of good offer maybe Semenyo too.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

He's a reliable pro and still an useful member for the team, so having him for another season is good news IMO, especially considering our financial problems.

That being said, I think Nigel has used him too much this season, a choice that has been a risk (of injury) and a waste of ressources (Wells snubbed): it would be interesting to know what plans the coach has for him, especially considering that Wells could leave and in case of good offer maybe Semenyo too.

For sure.

• Haha 1

To all those mentioning that Martin is a 'model' or 'reliable' pro what does that mean?

His pace is deceptive (he's slower than he looks.)

He's less of an aerial threat than The Vatican's Air Force.

The only way in which he bothers defenders is to confuse them into thinking they've overslept by a few seasons and are now plying their trade in the 4th tier.

If we played a kid upfront next year who delivered little, well, that's not going to be much of a difference, is it?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sturny said:

This is good, aren’t we 4th top goal scoring team? He’s been a part of that all season.  I’d be okay with it if our attack stays the same in the summer. We just need to fix the defence 

I think about 10 championship teams have scored more league goals than us this season - I don’t think we are anywhere near 4th top scorers ...

• Robin 1

Can’t wait for the season ticket renewal request to come through now that I’ve heard this news.  So excited to see another year of that magical ball control, vision for a great pass, deadly eye for goal, and the flicks and tricks that never fail to find their target.  And that’s not even mentioning that electric pace and those leadership qualities that have proved to be such an inspiration foe the younger players.  What I really hope is that the tactical genius Pearson keeps playing him every week so that he bring his boundless energy to a formation that totally bamboozles opposing teams, especially at set pieces which are clearly working an absolute treat.  Thanks City, and Mr Pearson, already looking forward to next season with eager anticipation. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

Can’t wait for the season ticket renewal request to come through now that I’ve heard this news.  So excited to see another year of that magical ball control, vision for a great pass, deadly eye for goal, and the flicks and tricks that never fail to find their target.  And that’s not even mentioning that electric pace and those leadership qualities that have proved to be such an inspiration foe the younger players.  What I really hope is that the tactical genius Pearson keeps playing him every week so that he bring his boundless energy to a formation that totally bamboozles opposing teams, especially at set pieces which are clearly working an absolute treat.  Thanks City, and Mr Pearson, already looking forward to next season with eager anticipation. 

Do you like anything about the club?

If not, why are you still here?

• Like 4

Might be my imagination but he's always looked better after an international break/a spell out of the side (which hasn't happened often!).

When he came back in after being dropped earlier in the year he looked much more physically up to it, more powerful in both his hold up play and his running the channels.

Either way, when used properly he's a good player with lots to offer. It's not really his fault we often haven't used him properly.

• Like 1