IGNORED

Parking alongside Dovecote.

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but just a heads up to anyone who parks on the road alongside the Dovecote Inn, now called The Ashton, this week No Parking signs have been erected along the entire stretch, so beware your usual parking spot is no more.

Edited by The Horse With No Name
  • Thanks 3

It's as if the local council don't want people attending sporting events in Bristol

What they should do is put long stay P&D machines along there at a reasonable price say £4.00 a day then people wouldnt mind paying that and the Council would get some revenue. The council will say its all about road safety which is bolox it's all about generating revenue from fines and parking charges 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, westonred said:

It's as if the local council don't want people attending sporting events in Bristol

What they should do is put long stay P&D machines along there at a reasonable price say £4.00 a day then people wouldnt mind paying that and the Council would get some revenue. The council will say its all about road safety which is bolox it's all about generating revenue from fines and parking charges 

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Long Ashton park & ride isn’t used for match day.

Baffling.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Long Ashton park & ride isn’t used for match day.

Baffling.

Because it is a private concern and BCC wont get any revenue out of it and the private company who run the site and the bus comapny are in partnership and only get revenue from people who use the buses to get into town. If people used it for football they would just walk to the ground and no therefore no revenue is generated

9 minutes ago, westonred said:

Because it is a private concern and BCC wont get any revenue out of it and the private company who run the site and the bus comapny are in partnership and only get revenue from people who use the buses to get into town. If people used it for football they would just walk to the ground and no therefore no revenue is generated

Well find a compromise then, because it’s virtually empty on a Saturday afternoon & the streets around BS3 are gridlocked.

It shouldn’t solely be about the council making money, it should be about congestion as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well find a compromise then, because it’s virtually empty on a Saturday afternoon & the streets around BS3 are gridlocked.

It shouldn’t solely be about the council making money, it should be about congestion as well.

I agree there ought to be a compromise but there wont unless BCC get some payment out of it..  If they wanted to sort out the congestion side of tings they would subsidise the Park and Ride for use by sports fans free of charge on matchdays freeing the streets but will they No

Also i think one of the problems is the Park and Ride is in North Somerset so BCC have their hands tied

Edited by westonred

52 minutes ago, westonred said:

It may be me being dim, but what is stopping people doing just that. Surely even if they have multiple cameras, they cant ensure that everyone who parks there gets on a bus.

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It may be me being dim, but what is stopping people doing just that. Surely even if they have multiple cameras, they cant ensure that everyone who parks there gets on a bus.

There are lots of CCTV cameras monitoring the area incuding the vehicle registrations. They won't be able to catch everyone who walks out of there not using the bus service but probably catch enough to make it a deterrent for others not to risk it

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

No idea how the charging system works nowadays.

Assume you can catch a bus and get off at the first stop if they are monitoring people leaving the site on foot. 

Has and, by the looks of things, will always be a monument to the ineptness of public and private sector interests in and around Bristol. Can’t think of any other City, Town, Hamlet in the entire Country that would have a massive car park lie idle which is located a stones throw from a a major entertainment venue. 

Thought the idea of having a mayor was to bang thick heads together and solve issues like this….clearly, he is as thick as the rest of them involved in this long -running farce.

You would have thought officialdom would have flagged up these new parking restrictions. Probably the ‘can’t be arsed’ attitude that applies to resolving the LA park and ride applies equally to all parking matters associated with the use of the stadium. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No idea how the charging system works nowadays.

Assume you can catch a bus and get off at the first stop if they are monitoring people leaving the site on foot. 

Has and, by the looks of things, will always be a monument to the ineptness of public and private sector interests in and around Bristol. Can’t think of any other City, Town, Hamlet in the entire Country that would have a massive car park lie idle which is located a stones throw from a a major entertainment venue. 

Thought the idea of having a mayor was to bang thick heads together and solve issues like this….clearly, he is as thick as the rest of them involved in this long -running farce.

You would have thought officialdom would have flagged up these new parking restrictions. Probably the ‘can’t be arsed’ attitude that applies to resolving the LA park and ride applies equally to all parking matters associated with the use of the stadium. 

I think Colin Sextoy when he was at the club tried to get permission for the Park and Ride to be used by City fans but there were to many obstactles in the way The car park shuts at 9pm so who would pay for the staff to stay on after 9pm for evening games  Also there is the issue dealing with David Lloyd Leisure who own the land BCC NSC and Metrobus this is why it had never been used for stadium parking

Shame really using those 1,500 spaces would certainly help clear the clogged up streets around the ground    

Edited by westonred
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, westonred said:

There are lots of CCTV cameras monitoring the area incuding the vehicle registrations. They won't be able to catch everyone who walks out of there not using the bus service but probably catch enough to make it a deterrent for others not to risk it

Lots of CCTV cameras but do they actually work? The ones at the Portway P&R were not when I had the Catalytic Converter cut from my car a couple of years ago. The investigating officer said they had the same problem in Brislington and at Bath as well, i.e. it's cheaper to put up dummy cameras than the real thing. 

I think they should be done for false advertising when they claim their sites are "safe and secure".

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

If you get there before 1.30, there’s usually free parking on the grass verge off the slip road toward the LA P&R. Limited spaces, mind. 

It is mental that the P&R isn’t used on matchdays. I won’t pay £10 a game to park anywhere out of principle.

• Like 3

Suggestions

Put up those portable LED signs around the area saying heavy match day traffic from 16:30pm

Sign at KFC retail park saying  heavy traffic in the area from 16:30pm giving the customers time to get out of the car park

Coming from Hotwells on the cumberland basin where the traffic bears towards the left towards ashton Gate to be blocked off forcing drivers towards the ring road

use PARSON STREET if you can

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Parked there for years, plenty of space for cars and buses to get by without being dangerous. What happens in the unlikely event we make it to the premiership one day, it will be a parking nightmare for games! 

Have no fear, by the time we ever reach the premiership Marvs underground  system will be in place!

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I don't myself but do know people who have parked there on game day with no problems, as you say how can it be proved.

10 hours ago, westonred said:

Surely BCC could employ 2 men to collect the money on match days (nights) as you entered the park and ride if you were just going to attend the match and give over say 500 spaces in a specific area to matchday parking at £10 = £5000 kerching!

Edited by pillred
Add comment

16 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but just a heads up to anyone who parks on the road alongside the Dovecote Inn, now called The Ashton, this week No Parking signs have been erected along the entire stretch, so beware your usual parking spot is no more.

Still the smyth arms to me, there again I've got to start calling the enclosure the lansdown.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CloudyThatchers said:

Have no fear, by the time we ever reach the premiership Marvs underground  system will be in place!

By the time we reach the PL we will probably be able to transport ourselves from home to the ground like they do on Startrek 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Surely BCC could employ 2 men to collect the money on match days (nights) as you entered the park and ride if you were just going to attend the match and give over say 500 spaces in a specific area to matchday parking at £10 = £5000 kerching!

Guy from who ran the Bristol Zoo car park on behalf on Bristol City Council (cough, cough) has applied to run the scheme. ???

(I understand there are plans to make a film about it, can’t remember which Bristolian actor is involved in the project)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, P'head Red said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Parked there for years, plenty of space for cars and buses to get by without being dangerous. What happens in the unlikely event we make it to the premiership one day, it will be a parking nightmare for games! 

Yes, the same as  Winterstoke road ,before double yellows,no problems parking plenty of space for passing cars &buses, also Ashton Gate underpass,no problems, then the council puts restrictions, typical BCC,

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Guy from who ran the Bristol Zoo car park on behalf on Bristol City Council (cough, cough) has applied to run the scheme. ???

(I understand there are plans to make a film about it, can’t remember which Bristolian actor is involved in the project)

Urban myth, mate.

Saw an interview last week with West Brom’s new Chief Exec he said one of the reasons fans were saying their gates were down, was the amount of roadworks near The Hawthorns.

My immediate reaction was you should come to South Bristol if you want to see roadworks..

Definitely an area where Gould should be engaging with BCC, North Somerset & Karin Smyth, it is a disgrace.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

It doesnt belong to BCC so they cannot put staff in place or collect money The land comes under North Somerset district but part of it is owned by David LLoyd leisure and the car park run by Metrobus this is why it is not being used 

• Thanks 1