IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion at home match day thread

Fellow-Reds hope you are well as we look forward (with some trepidation I suspect) to the visit of WBA.

There are three English league teams with Albion in their name, who are they and what does Albion mean? Answers at the end.

Last season a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal consigned WBA to their fifth relegation from the English top-flight, a joint-record along with Norwich City. It was also the first time Sam Allardyce had suffered relegation in his 30-year managerial career.

Back in October we were well beaten at the Hawthorns 3-0 although it could have easily been 6-0, if Jordan Hugill had taken his chances he would have had a first half hat trick. After that game they were second and we were sixteenth. Highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-west-bromwich-albion-3-0-bristol-city/

Pre-match NP said: ‘They have got a good squad and Steve (Bruce) is a very experienced manger and I think given time he will get them right. They've still got a reasonable chance of pushing for the play-off places and I think that will be their intention for the rest of the season. He will recognise that we are a difficult opponent to play but he will also know where our weaknesses are so we have got to make sure our game is up there with our best performances. When we played at their place it was another frustrating away day because we weren’t resilient at the back and we conceded some poor goals. After a poor performance against Barnsley we need to put things to bed quickly and find the right solutions.’

Match programme: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/66562784/bristol-city-v-west-bromwich-albion

In February they sacked their manager Valerien Ismael. Which meant owner Lai was looking for his eighth head coach since his Chinese investment group bought Albion from Jeremy Peace in September 2016 having parted with Tony Pulis, Alan Pardew, Darren Moore, interim boss Jimmy Shan, Slaven Bilic, Sam Allardyce and Valerien Ismael. They appointed former Newcastle boss Steve Bruce as their new manager on an 18-month deal. They were sixth when he arrived. It wasn’t until March that Bruce got his first win as Baggies boss against his former club Hull City. They are currently in 14th place after 37 games and have 50 points and inevitably on a good run of form! Having won two and drawn one of their last three games.

They also appointed a new chief executive Ron Gourlay in February, who says his number one challenge is to restore pride to a club who had become an "embarrassment" to their own fans.

They have recently established a new committee to identify, assess and sign players. It comprises the CEO, Bruce, academy manager Richard Stevens, head of recruitment Ian Pearce and other senior staff, including those from the medical team. After the first meeting Bruce revealed they spent time looking at players who are set to become free agents this summer. He said “It’s vitally important to start early. We would be wrong to not identify the Bosmans of this world because everyone else is.”

Their keeper may be departing at the end of the season. West Ham United are reportedly leading the race for Sam Johnstone, amid interest from the likes of Tottenham Hotspur.

On Tuesday evening - when we were just woeful - they hosted Fulham and won 1-0 and limited The league leaders to just one shot on target. This followed a late revival in their previous home game, against Huddersfield, when they recovered from being two down to gain a point, with goals in the 84 and 85 minutes, including Andy Carroll’s first goal since signing for them.

The threat of 33 year old father of five Andy Carroll will need to be dealt with, after the Huddersfield game Bruce said ‘it was nice to see us get some crosses in the box for Andy Carroll. That's his third goal this season as he also got a couple for Reading. You've got to put the ball in the box for him, and we've managed to do that.’ Our inability to defend set pieces and their physicality don’t bode well!

They are ten points better off than us having played one game less.

Over the years they have beaten us 23 times, we’ve drawn 15 and won 15.

Striker Daryl Dike has been out injured and was expected to return after the International break, although there is a possibility he will be on the bench today. The £7 million January signing from Orlando City has been out of action since he suffered a hamstring injury on his Hawthorns debut against Peterborough in January. Alex Mowatt had a slight knock ahead of the Huddersfield game and was then substituted against Fulham, so Bruce could give him a rest and bring in Jayson Molumby. Predicted West Brom XI: Johnstone; Ajayi, Bartley, Clarke; Furlong, Molumby, Livermore, Gardner-Hickman, Townsend; Grant, Carroll.

As well as recent absentees we will without Williams and probably O'Leary and Benarous. The local media are speculating that Josh Owers may be in the squad.

The ref today is Leigh Doughty who has taken charge of 32 matches this season and issued 87 yellow cards and 4 reds. He’s been in charge twice for us this season at home to Boro and away at QPR, we won both 2-1.

WBA banter

• There are various explanations for why they are called the Baggies. One theory is that, after settling at The Hawthorns in 1900, their stadium initially only had two entrances – one behind each goal – so gatekeepers would collect spectators' money in large bags. The crowd would shout 'here comes the bag man', which later spawned the 'Baggies title'. Another suggestion is that the name was bestowed on Albion supporters by their rivals at Aston Villa, because of the large baggy trousers that many Albion fans wore at work to protect themselves from molten iron in the factories and foundries of the Black Country. Other possible explanations include that supporters took large bags round to pubs to help save the club from extinction in 1905, and that the club almost going bankrupt at this time saw many of their large players replaced by smaller players, who made the same kits look far more baggy in their skins than in the predecessors!
  • The highest number of points that West Brom have garnered during a single season is 91, a total which they achieved in 2009 under the guidance of Tony Mowbray. Remarkably, this haul was only good enough for second in the Championship as Newcastle United stormed to the title.
  • Their total of five FA Cup triumphs is only bettered by nine teams in English football. The Baggies most recent title in the world’s oldest cup competition occurred in 1968 as Jeff Astle scored the winning goal at Wembley Stadium against Everton.
  • Albion boast a significant number of famous fans among their ranks of supporters including: Adrian Chiles, Frank Skinner, Lenny Henry and Liam Payne of One Direction. Continuing the music theme, rock legend Eric Clapton sported an Albion scarf on the cover of his album 'Backless' to show his love for the club. Clapton also sponsored Albion's UEFA Cup tie against Galatasaray in 1978.
  • The most goals West Brom have scored in a season is 105 (in the 1929/30 season.)
  • Back in 2019 fans were convinced a West Brom supporter s*** himself on live TV during the Baggies' 3-2 loss to us. See photo. TV replays showed the moment the unfortunate man realised he'd left it too late to make it to the loo.  WBA were 3-0 down just 20 minutes into the game, which was a Championship thriller. Josh Brownhill opened the scoring only 120 seconds after kick-off, before Andreas Weimann and Jack Hunt bagged a goal each. And when Dwight Gayle pulled one back for the Baggies, in the 47th minute, it was too much drama for one West Brom fan. A Sky Sports camera caught the moment when the unlucky supporter got in trouble. He was walking up the stairs, before grabbing his bum and realising nature had already called!
  • Steve Bruce is the author of an ultra rare detective series! Between 1999 and 2000, the trilogy of Striker, Sweeper and Defender was penned by the current WBA manager. He says they are terrible, but they are so rare it is seemingly impossible to buy copies. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37877150
  • On the topic of books Geoff Merrick will be signing copies of his new book ‘LIFE WITH THE ROBINS AND BEYOND’ today between 12.30-2.00pm outside the Supporters Bar (through the Independence Sports Bar and up the stairs) https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/merrick-returns-for-second-book-signing-session/ 

Back to the start: Brighton and Hove Albion, Burton Albion and West Bromwich Albion. The word Albion was originally used to mean Britain, then only for parts of Britain with white cliffs. The name was first applied to a football team by Brighton and Hove as there are white cliffs in Dover.

Finally, if you want a giggle watch this: https://fb.watch/bPh6XBEAwo/ might be best waiting until after the game as it might be needed to cheer the mood ? and again if after the game you need a real uplifting two minutes try this:

Enjoy the game and the International break.

D7A599EB-0B78-438D-8CDF-39F25ADCE9E6.jpeg

45844D6E-D8DA-4607-BB96-1C38D1015E80.jpeg

6F9D8049-E280-4AAC-84DB-ACD2B288372A.jpeg

02AD406A-E0E0-4A74-90E9-54697DA65657.jpeg

0D225B82-BBBD-41F4-9E64-85992F1DFC90.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 1

P52  W14  D10  L28  GD-27 

Pts 52 out of 156

Pearson seems to be in the enviable situation of being responsible when we win whilst ‘the situation’ is to blame when we lose at least in the minds of some City fans.

Andy Carroll will have a spring in his step this morning - Sadly

0-3

52 minutes ago, Waconda said:

P52  W14  D10  L28  GD-27 

Pts 52 out of 156

Pearson seems to be in the enviable situation of being responsible when we win whilst ‘the situation’ is to blame when we lose at least in the minds of some City fans.

Andy Carroll will have a spring in his step this morning - Sadly

0-3

seems Nigel's ensuring his excuses are in early by pointing to our obvious set piece issue - and that our defenders are absolutely unable to stay with their (designated) man....

Shocking on a number of levels - one being, if so, how daft must the players be if in a set piece situation they're unable to have a quick look & identify their 'man'???......and then track him??........questionable?

And why can't between them Pearson & Fleming put this(in the main)to bed???....it ain't rocket science & to use this as a pre match excuse is shocking & I believe Nigel to be shooting himself in the foot big time....

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

I think the squad were embarrassed by the inept performance at Barnsley and will show their true character and identity today.

Reckon, in celebration of his extended contract, that was clearly consuming all his thoughts at Barnsley, Martin will score a hat-trick and be unplayable. Our defence will be rock-solid impenetrable and midfield will play their opponents off the park showing real grit, energy and aggression. 

Comfortable 3-0, and safety. 

Will be interesting to see how West Brom play today as they transition from Ismae-ball to Bruce’s mixed style.

Solid back 3 of Clarke / Bartley / Ajayi, protected by Livermore, suggests getting the ball around the sides of them might see the most success.  Livermore might not be the DM he was previously but he’s a presence and more than capable of disruptive play, picking up lots of niggly fouls without getting cautioned.  He needs winding up, cue Alex Scott!

Grant and Robinson up top (Carroll from bench) will stretch us down the sides too.

I really rate Townsend at LWB.

Gonna be a tough afternoon.  I’d bring Pring back in at LWB to add some physicality too.  Would feel harsh on Dasilva, but Pearson does say about picking the team he thinks is best for the match, so sometimes horses for courses might be the way to play it.  Not forgetting Furlong’s long throws from the right.

It would not wholly surprise me if we went big standard 442 today.

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

I think the squad were embarrassed by the inept performance at Barnsley and will show their true character and identity today.

Reckon, in celebration of his extended contract, that was clearly consuming all his thoughts at Barnsley, Martin will score a hat-trick and be unplayable. Our defence will be rock-solid impenetrable and midfield will play their opponents off the park showing real grit, energy and aggression. 

That's the spirit?

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I work in Oldbury, and have been told by Albion fans that they are pretty useless.

Unfortunately they may not have quite dropped to our level of soft shite ineptitude.

Anyhow...UTC! 

My WBA mad mate said: I wouldn't be too negative we're hardly world-beating. Trouble is he has not watched us play this season.

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

? love it RedRock, is your medication overdue? 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Get well soon 

Was also going 4-0 for us

Gotta dream right?? 

Cheers mate. Luckily my symptoms are those of a normal cold only. None of this continuous coughing stuff. Hoping it turns out to be a false positive, but I've just done a home PCR test to check. I'll be sat watching less than 400m(*) from my seat in the Dolman today, wishing I could be there. Which is a bit wierd, because I wasn't looking forward to the game yesterday pre LFT Covid test.

#COYR

(* I mean 400 miles obviously, as I'll be in Amsterdam.)

Edited by Sleepy1968