IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

I’m by no means in the Pearson out camp…. Yet anyway. However after yet again another win snatched away in the final seconds. I’ve left the ground thinking, at what point is this not considered bad luck but bad management. He’s been here a long time now and like Lee Johnson with his streaks, Pearson just can’t kick this last second crumble. He’ll obviously see out the season and be given the summer but if this sort of form continues in to the new season, surely he doesn’t have long. I’d hope we’d act quickly and if things aren’t any different by October we go with someone else.

I’ll admit there has been an improvement since he’s been here and let’s face it, the squad he’s inherited isn’t the best but it’s the little things like giving pens away, conceding at the death, how god damn awful we are at defending set pieces and just defending overall that’s getting harder and harder to ignore. Hopefully Nige can get backed in the summer and sort these massive problems out but if he can’t. It definitely needs freshening up. I’m sure someone could get more out of this team defensively with one or two additions. Remains to be seen if that somebody is Nige…

Edited by Negan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TomF said:

The summer and 10 games into next season I’d say. If we don’t see improvement by then I think his position starts to become unattainable  

I’d agree with that. I don’t think a manger has ever been given such leeway from our fan base as Nige has been given. Mostly because we all know what the challenges were. However after 18 months (I know it’s not 18 months yet but will be come the beginning of next season) there has to be improvements in the concerning areas. He won’t get the fall back of the squad not being good enough next season. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

It wasn’t bad luck 5 late goals ago. Been bad management for months. This should have been an oddity after Blackpool on the first game of the season. Instead it is a staple of Bristol City FC. 

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

The summer and 10 games into next season I’d say. If we don’t see improvement by then I think his position starts to become unattainable  

Is there logic in that? He had last 15 or so of last season. Made his decisions and had 10 players walk and brought back 3. Then signed another 4(5 with Klose) and we are finishing the season much like we finished last season. If we sell players and let NP buy I believe it is going to set us back further. 

• Like 2

Just now, MarcusX said:

Today was just a good goal IMO. Happens far too often I agree, but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up.

We were much better today, they barely had a sniff at goal - a pen and a 93rd minute goal, no other shots on target.

Pearson gets the summer and start of next season for me - then it’s as good as his team. 

Yeah last minute goals happen, we got one last week. You know before the season starts you’re going to be on the receiving end of a few. It’s just happened WAY too much for my liking. Definitely isn’t something that can be taken in to the new season. The defence will be the biggest fix job this summer and he needs to get it right. 

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

Been saying this for a while.

However, our weak as piss mindset and individual errors have to be shouldered in the main by the players.

• Like 1

If there’s any leadership and true ambition at the club then he should be gone in the summer and a replacement already lined up. However I expect him to limp on for a while into next season. I’m amazed how the fans have by and large stuck with him. I believe this is more to do with the language he speaks post match and little to do with results which by and large have been midling to poor.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

SL has to back him in the summer IMO or we will be in real trouble next year. The current squad has some experience, plenty learning their trade and some who simply aren’t up to it.

The most important signing we could make is a sporting director or head of recruitment, otherwise I don’t think it matters who’s in charge. The same issues will preside. 

If he’s backed, he gets until the November IMO to show some real progress. If he’s not backed, I think he might walk and I wouldn’t blame him. The Lansdowns should go with him. 

EDIT: And I think it’s a bizarre question to ask after a good performance today. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Depends on the ownership situation over the next 6 to 12 months I guess. 

Personally I would agree with Tom, that the summer and a block of games should be fair.  I’ll caveat that with the expectation that the summer window will see a number leave, and then be replaced.  If that doesn’t happen, then not sure what the point would be in him staying. 

Transfers (and the transfer strategy) will of course depend on whose running the club in the window.  New owners may choose to go in a different direction 

Just now, billywedlock said:

the issue this summer is not Pearson , it is recruitment . 

Of which he’s in control of? So if it goes wrong, he’ll be the one responsible having signed and organised the team. Which is what I’m questioning. We’re very lucky this season the bottom 4 is so bad and hit with point deductions. Don’t think the bottom of the league will be over with 12/14 games to go next season. 

• Like 2

A 2-2 draw at home against a premier league parachute payment side. 

In isolation a good result.

And at the same time disappointing.

If the players cannot see out a win, why are they playing. What are they doing? It comes back to leadership again.

They don’t have the balls, the backbone, the nous, the know how, the brains, the leadership, the communication, the shithousery, the skills, the wisdom or the capability. To close out games. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Yeah last minute goals happen, we got one last week. You know before the season starts you’re going to be on the receiving end of a few. It’s just happened WAY too much for my liking. Definitely isn’t something that can be taken in to the new season. The defence will be the biggest fix job this summer and he needs to get it right. 

It’s not the last minute equalizers it’s the huge individual errors.

Were fortunate none of it matters to this season now.

• Like 1

If the ref does his job and gives us a nailed on penalty these threads don’t emerge. By all means be pissed off with another last minute goal conceded, but ffs don’t call for the manager to go on the back of that performance. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Fans want overnight fixes to complex problems . It’s tiresome that so few understand the depth of a mess we have at the club . Change feels good because it means you enter another phase of uncertainty and something has happened . But if you keep doing that without fixing deep rooted issues at the club it matters little . We have done this for 20 years . Yet here we are again with a group of average over paid  players . In the past we got relegated during this phase . 

the issue this summer is not Pearson , it is recruitment . 

Overnight fixes? How long has he been here now. I’m not disagreeing with the rest of your post but I feel it’s fine to say he’s been given enough time for us to expect some sort of improvements. And imo we have seen some

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rich_s said:

If there’s any leadership and true ambition at the club then he should be gone in the summer and a replacement already lined up. However I expect him to limp on for a while into next season. I’m amazed how the fans have by and large stuck with him. I believe this is more to do with the language he speaks post match and little to do with results which by and large have been midling to poor.

It’s more to do with realising that FFP wise we don’t have a ******* pot to piss in, presumably lost on you?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

If the ref does his job and gives us a nailed on penalty these threads don’t emerge. By all means be pissed off with another last minute goal conceded, but ffs don’t call for the manager to go on the back of that performance. 

I haven’t called for him to go ffs ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s not the last minute equalizers it’s the huge individual errors.

Were fortunate none of it matters to this season now.

Part of me does wonder how many of the players are already on “holiday mode” the seasons been done for us for a good 4/5 games now. 

10 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’d agree with that. I don’t think a manger has ever been given such leeway from our fan base as Nige has been given. Mostly because we all know what the challenges were. However after 18 months (I know it’s not 18 months yet but will be come the beginning of next season) there has to be improvements in the concerning areas. He won’t get the fall back of the squad not being good enough next season. 

Short memory

You only have to go back two head coaches when a side with Tammy Abraham under Wonderboy scrambled safe from relegation in the penultimate game with a surprise win at Brighton 

• Like 9

Just now, glynriley said:

Really? A horse by any other name 

The opening line is I’m not in the Pearson out camp…. Jesus Christ Glyn 

I still actually believe Nige can get it right. I’m just saying IF next season is a repeat of this, then we have to move on and try someone else. 

• Like 1

How long has Pearson got left ? Another season to see if the three year plan delivers tangible progress. That was the deal and I think it needs to be seen through. Just lots of very predictable knee jerking as usual. 

Sometimes credit has to be given to the opposition and I thought 2-2 today was a fair result regardless of when the goals were scored. I thought we would have to be at 100% to get anything out of the game and for WBA to be off their game to get a positive result - and so it proved.

Good hard earned point today against a very strong team and, imo, strange to bring up NPs future after this game.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Did you spot a lack of effort today? If so I’ll admit that passed me by………

No not saying there was lack of effort, just stating that it’s probably in some players heads now that the season is pretty much done. They’ll obviously always go out to win but the points aren’t as crucial anymore. Players will always have more fight and grit if there’s something to play for. There is the other side to that argument where teams like us can play a bit more freely and take more chances, hopefully that’s what we see from now until May. Plus I’m really hoping Andi can hit 20 ?