IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

4 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Thought he could have killed the game in injury time today by using the 2 subs at his disposal. What ever happened to taking off the player furthest player away from the dugout and let them canter off.

The ref would add another 5 minutes, giving West Brom enough time to get the winner! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Thought he could have killed the game in injury time today by using the 2 subs at his disposal. What ever happened to taking off the player furthest player away from the dugout and let them canter off.

Don’t think there was sufficient opportunity to get a sub on, perhaps if we’d got the throw-in right at the end, which was arguable…

40 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

26 transfer windows for Johnson is fine. 2 for Pearson and we’ve had enough. 

Some people ‘eh @Fordy62 ?‍♂️

We’ve just been more than a match for a team who should be in the top two or three, based on the wages/transfer fees paid and yet people are questioning NP!

Give the bloke a PROPER chance, once he’s finished clearing up the mess created by LJ and MA and then, we may just have a chance to move on.

Really encouraging performance today…..

COYRs

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Never understand his reluctance to make a late sub, any of Vyner, Benarous or Owers could have come on & as you say broken play up.

Think you have to go off at the nearest point now but still don’t understand why we only used 1 sub as we went into injury time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Fans want overnight fixes to complex problems . It’s tiresome that so few understand the depth of a mess we have at the club . Change feels good because it means you enter another phase of uncertainty and something has happened . But if you keep doing that without fixing deep rooted issues at the club it matters little . We have done this for 20 years . Yet here we are again with a group of average over paid  players . In the past we got relegated during this phase . 

the issue this summer is not Pearson , it is recruitment . 

It is Pearson's issue if we're conceding at least two goals almost every game. 

28 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Unlucky today from what I saw, but this carrying on may well see him gone sooner rather than later. 

That's barebones as basics haven't been sorted, not consistent and woeful at times

From what I did see  WBA did an us after we scored and retreated into shells. 

As stated previously now veering to see change, we simply cant go on this way week after week month after month, something has to give and which way that will be who knows. 

You're imagining a crisis when their plainly isn't one.

No one is fooled by 'veering for change'. You've always wanted him gone but couldn't justify it rationally.

• Like 10
  • Flames 5

Just now, GrahamC said:

Never understand his reluctance to make a late sub, any of Vyner, Benarous or Owers could have come on & as you say broken play up.

Think you have to go off at the nearest point now but still don’t understand why we only used 1 sub as we went into injury time.

Yeah I’d agree there. I actually don’t put the last minute goal today down to any kind of psychological thing - we actually did the right behaviours of going for corners etc and were unlucky on decisions such as the throw. I think the making a tactical sub was the only thing missing in what you’d expect from game management 90+ minutes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Fans want overnight fixes to complex problems . It’s tiresome that so few understand the depth of a mess we have at the club . Change feels good because it means you enter another phase of uncertainty and something has happened . But if you keep doing that without fixing deep rooted issues at the club it matters little . We have done this for 20 years . Yet here we are again with a group of average over paid  players . In the past we got relegated during this phase . 

the issue this summer is not Pearson , it is recruitment . 

Agreed. The club has been run abysmally for many, many years. It is a shithouse of a setup impacted by the “Bristol Sport” ideaology and the eagerness to sell any decent family silver that come along, and more often than not replace with monkeys - LJ/Ashton era.

Getting rid of NP will make absolutely no difference until the deep rooted problems within the club are addressed, which NP and RG are trying to address. Ignore the idiots on here.

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 3

(Oh and also, whether the OP states he doesn’t want NP to go or not if a thread is titled “How Long has Pearson Got Left” it’ll naturally attract people who want him to go, which is bizarre if they’re justifying on todays performance. It’s like calling a thread “How big a tosser do we think Joey Barton is” and feigning surprise when people say “A huge one”)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’m by no means in the Pearson out camp…. Yet anyway. However after yet again another win snatched away in the final seconds. I’ve left the ground thinking, at what point is this not considered bad luck but bad management. He’s been here a long time now and like Lee Johnson with his streaks, Pearson just can’t kick this last second crumble. He’ll obviously see out the season and be given the summer but if this sort of form continues in to the new season, surely he doesn’t have long. I’d hope we’d act quickly and if things aren’t any different by October we go with someone else.

I’ll admit there has been an improvement since he’s been here and let’s face it, the squad he’s inherited isn’t the best but it’s the little things like giving pens away, conceding at the death, how god damn awful we are at defending set pieces and just defending overall that’s getting harder and harder to ignore. Hopefully Nige can get backed in the summer and sort these massive problems out but if he can’t. It definitely needs freshening up. I’m sure someone could get more out of this team defensively with one or two additions. Remains to be seen if that somebody is Nige…

53 minutes ago, TomF said:

The summer and 10 games into next season I’d say. If we don’t see improvement by then I think his position starts to become unattainable  

Nigel Pearson has a three year contract for a three year or more project. The only thing that will change that is if we are in the bottom three for an extended period. 

As for improvement, we have seen tones of it, you simply have to look at how crap we were after Covid began, circa end of LJ who wasted millions on dross and Holden who simply could not catch a break with injuries or find any offensive cohesion or just some kind of threat. 

Pearson was employed to make a team out of some experienced pros and bring on value from our academy which is exactly what he’s done. Semenyo is hot property, however before Pearson’s arrival there were countless threads on whether he was any good in any position. Scott at 18 is a revelation HNM has decent value as does Pring who couldn’t get a game. Anderson always looks like a decent player, Cundy is looking a very decent player who almost certainly get a contract, Benerous and now Josh Owers are getting on the bench, I could go on but I think I have made my point. 

Yes there are things to work on particularly with game management, but the guy knew what a bag of LJ ASHTON, SL and the playboys shit he was getting but he’s doing the job he was brought in for and not giving way to anyone’s bullshit!

• Like 3

Bit shocked to see this as the first thread on 3 pages when I came in tonight…and some of the comments…wow.

But having read a couple of pages of the MFT at h-t, I’m not surprised.

Firstly I wonder how many posters were actually at AG today and saw the impact the wind had on the game?  Was blowing a gale, swirling around. But the posts about Wells when he came on, prove agendas.  Some aren’t really prepared to base their opinions on what actually goes on.

The worst of OTIB. ??‍♂️

• Like 10
  • Flames 8

10 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed. The club has been run abysmally for many, many years. It is a shithouse of a setup impacted by the “Bristol Sport” ideaology and the eagerness to sell any decent family silver that come along, and more often than not replace with monkeys - LJ/Ashton era.

Getting rid of NP will make absolutely no difference until the deep rooted problems within the club are addressed, which NP and RG are trying to address. Ignore the idiots on here.

The reason for selling the family silver was to enable us to keep increasing the wage bill. Whether that improved the team doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Quite how that is great as either a financial or football strategy defeats me but it has left us in the mess we are in.

Steve has got off remarkably lightly given it was his master plan. Not that he would ever admit to a mistake.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

How long has Pearson got left ? Another season to see if the three year plan delivers tangible progress. That was the deal and I think it needs to be seen through. Just lots of very predictable knee jerking as usual. 

Sometimes credit has to be given to the opposition and I thought 2-2 today was a fair result regardless of when the goals were scored. I thought we would have to be at 100% to get anything out of the game and for WBA to be off their game to get a positive result - and so it proved.

Good hard earned point today against a very strong team and, imo, strange to bring up NPs future after this game.

Against a defence of Pring, Atkinson and Cundy who have probably less than 50 Championship starts between them. Some of our fans need to give their head a wobble and realise this is rebuild that requires some patience. Any other manager or season we would probably be heading into League 1.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The reason for selling the family silver was to enable us to keep increasing the wage bill. Whether that improved the team doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Quite how that is great as either a financial or football strategy defeats me but it has left us in the mess we are in.

Steve has got off remarkably lightly given it was his master plan. Not that he would ever admit to a mistake.

Some would call it bonkers....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Yep.  People can choose to put their slant / bias on the transfer receipts as a reason to defend the previous regime…but ultimately we lost over £40m, even with those transfers….and left a big mess for Holden initially, then Pearson to take over.  Holden hampered by Ashton too.

The facts are there, people ignore them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not with me he hasn’t. Lansdown’s complete and utter mismanagement of the football side of things sees us where we are today. ******* mint training ground mind….

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I’d agree there. I actually don’t put the last minute goal today down to any kind of psychological thing - we actually did the right behaviours of going for corners etc and were unlucky on decisions such as the throw. I think the making a tactical sub was the only thing missing in what you’d expect from game management 90+ minutes

I'd actually argue we are so shit at keeping it in the corner, we may as well have tried to attack the goal. You never know, they were throwing everything forward, we might have put the game out of their reach 

Normally on the 90th minute you try to keep the ball in the corner and await the series of throw-ins holding the game up. 

This is Bristol City though and our "game management" only buys us about 10 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.  People can choose to put their slant / bias on the transfer receipts as a reason to defend the previous regime…but ultimately we lost over £40m, even with those transfers….and left a big mess for Holden initially, then Pearson to take over.  Holden hampered by Ashton too.

The facts are there, people ignore them.

I do t think they can get their heads round it as opposed to ignoring it tbh. Thick as shite some are….

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd actually argue we are so shit at keeping it in the corner, we may as well have tried to attack the goal. You never know, they were throwing everything forward, we might have put the game out of their reach 

Normally on the 90th minute you try to keep the ball in the corner and await the series of throw-ins holding the game up. 

This is Bristol City though and our "game management" only buys us about 10 seconds. 

True. But you have to start doing the right thing at one point, and at least it was a step towards the right behaviours…!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You may very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.?

Judging by what Gould has said it was all going swimmingly until Covid robbed us of a guaranteed £30m in transfer income. Yeah, right.

He had JL with a gun in his back.

The strategy for this summer’s recruit is set, but has lots of dependencies.  The strategy is very sensible.  It’s about executing it…that’s the hard part.  You can’t just go and get who you want, other clubs might want them, they might not want to come here, they might cost too much.

• Like 2

I've been underwhelmed by the progress under Nige to this point but i do appreciate the constraints he is working under.

I think this summer will be really interesting and whoever we bring in (3 or 4 free transfers etc) have to work, otherwise next season will be an even bigger struggle.

If we have to sell Semenyo or Scott then so be it, but the players Nige brings in have to hit the ground running otherwise he will start to be under pressure.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I honestly don't think people realise how much work nige has had to do apart from his main job,It seems the club behind the scenes is a mess and nige seems to be settling that but it won't be until the summer when things can be done. Like Johnson he needs time even more so without the finance but it's important Pearson gets the chance to get the club on a more professional footing and don't forget the club's still operating under COVID protacals.

• Like 2