IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

9 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Finished the season like we did last? We ended the season poorly, relying on youngsters and our last win of the season was on match day 36, and we only got 3 more points in the final 10 games which were all draws. The Blackburn game this season was on Matchday 37 and the performance v West Brom is better than any of the performances we put in the final 10 games of last season. I’d definitely say already we’ve finished the season better than last

Its almost as if you can't overhaul a squad on limited resources in 1 summer 

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not amazed at all how the fans have stuck with him - we’ve got a manager who took Leicester City from league one to the premier league - he spent a whole Sunday at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester rather than Blackburn and he signed Riyad Mahrez for £450k to play for Leicester - Mahrez was subsequently sold to Manchester City for £50 million - Pearson laid the foundations for Leicester City to win the premier league ... I’m sticking with him ... so, who would you recommend we get in as our new manager, willing to work within the considerable constraints whilst trying to build a winning squad? I look forward to your list ...

Fans quite rightly have differing opinions regarding managers, that’s fine.

I take a lot of reassurance though from very often during business meeting breaks bringing football into discussions and since NP’s appointment, not once from Plymouth to Edinburgh have I had to explain who he is unlike the majority, apart from Joe Jordan, that have gone before (and I go back to the Fred Ford era).  The reactions I have had range from “how did your club manage to get him” to “solid appointment that”

Yes, this season has been highly frustrating of course but did we really expect more given the mismanagement on and off the field over the last few years made worse by injuries and Covid.

The green shoot signs are there IMO, a few months ago WBA would have hammered us but they didn’t today and I’m not so sure that as many new signings as some are saying will be needed, but the club certainly has to be clever in terms of offloading, securing fees for a couple of the gems and recruiting square pegs to fit our currently vacant square holes.  It can be done, some of those punching above their weight towards the top of the table now have done that.  Also refreshing to hear Nige talking about the summer and next season.

I’m sticking with Nige, just give it time......ask a Leicester fan.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

I standby the fact that both he & us are extremely, extremely lucky that Reading and Derby got such heavy points deductions. Think we’d only be 5 points off the bottom 3 without them. Wonder how much Pearson hitting back on JL’s comments and calling us ‘crap’ in a post match, as well as overall season form, would’ve sat with Lansdown senior if we were still in genuine risk of going down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waconda said:

People having differing opinions and thoughts on a football match isn't "unusual".

Perhaps it was a poor choice of word by me- I suppose put another way, the timing was unusual- after an abysmal defeat I can understand it but today seems like it was fairly positive.

For the avoidance of doubt, still NP IN- 3 years and maybe longer, big ship to turn around.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I standby the fact that both he & us are extremely, extremely lucky that Reading and Derby got such heavy points deductions. Think we’d only be 5 points off the bottom 3 without them. Wonder how much Pearson hitting back on JL’s comments and calling us ‘crap’ in a post match, as well as overall season form, would’ve sat with Lansdown senior if we were still in genuine risk of going down. 

I don’t think you can say ‘extremely lucky’ when Reading wouldn’t move above us and z Derby would only be 2 points ahead of us with points deductions removed 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I don’t think you can say ‘extremely lucky’ when Reading wouldn’t move above us and z Derby would only be 2 points ahead of us with points deductions removed 

Exactly, so we’d be 5 points above third bottom with a game more played, and an awful GD. I wouldn’t be confident we weren’t going down personally, anyway 

Edited by petehinton

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I’m fairly confident that by the end of the season, it will only be those points deductions that save us from the drop. 

During this season NP has promoted Alex Scott, Antione Semenyo, Cam Pring and latterly Rob Cundy  from the fringes of the squad into the first team set up proper. He also bought well re Rob Atkinson and potentially George Tanner too..  In doing so, he’s significantly increased the asset base of the club.  

There is every reason to believe that all the above will be better players next season, having benefited from the faith NP has shown in them thus far.  For this he deserves at least a modicum of credit, even from those who wish to show him the door.

PS

Signing Tim Klosse was a top bit of business which his critics blindly ignore.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

Fans quite rightly have differing opinions regarding managers, that’s fine.

I take a lot of reassurance though from very often during business meeting breaks bringing football into discussions and since NP’s appointment, not once from Plymouth to Edinburgh have I had to explain who he is unlike the majority, apart from Joe Jordan, that have gone before (and I go back to the Fred Ford era).  The reactions I have had range from “how did your club manage to get him” to “solid appointment that”

Yes, this season has been highly frustrating of course but did we really expect more given the mismanagement on and off the field over the last few years made worse by injuries and Covid.

The green shoot signs are there IMO, a few months ago WBA would have hammered us but they didn’t today and I’m not so sure that as many new signings as some are saying will be needed, but the club certainly has to be clever in terms of offloading, securing fees for a couple of the gems and recruiting square pegs to fit our currently vacant square holes.  It can be done, some of those punching above their weight towards the top of the table now have done that.  Also refreshing to hear Nige talking about the summer and next season.

I’m sticking with Nige, just give it time......ask a Leicester fan.

and since then........over 7years ago and apart from getting sacked by various clubs hes achieved what exactly? hardly "solid"

I am ashamed that the manager who got us to this div was given just 256 DAYS after he got us here and after we gave him little to no money, then we go and waste multi-millions on the managers that followed.

Seems we have learned nothing as NP is given 3yr contract based on what, certainly not the last 7yrs in management.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not amazed at all how the fans have stuck with him - we’ve got a manager who took Leicester City from league one to the premier league - he spent a whole Sunday at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester rather than Blackburn and he signed Riyad Mahrez for £450k to play for Leicester - Mahrez was subsequently sold to Manchester City for £50 million - Pearson laid the foundations for Leicester City to win the premier league ... I’m sticking with him ... so, who would you recommend we get in as our new manager, willing to work within the considerable constraints whilst trying to build a winning squad? I look forward to your list ...

Ok nobody is denying what he did with Leicester isn’t a big big tick. But you wouldn’t appoint Holloway purely on him taking Blackpool up playing some very very good football. I struggle to see what else he has done to prove he is the man? I am not trying to be argumentative i just can’t see it from his record. I have struggled from day one to see it, so would probably be chucked in the “pearson out” category. I want nothing more than to sign the next vardy/kante/mahrez but we have f all money so can’t see him being able to do it.

1 hour ago, GTFABM said:

Ok nobody is denying what he did with Leicester isn’t a big big tick. But you wouldn’t appoint Holloway purely on him taking Blackpool up playing some very very good football. I struggle to see what else he has done to prove he is the man? I am not trying to be argumentative i just can’t see it from his record. I have struggled from day one to see it, so would probably be chucked in the “pearson out” category. I want nothing more than to sign the next vardy/kante/mahrez but we have f all money so can’t see him being able to do it.

And who on earth is going to get more out of the players we’ve got? Yesterday was a good example of what Pearson has achieved with next to nothing. 

Those players deserved a pat on the back!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malago said:

During this season NP has promoted Alex Scott, Antione Semenyo, Cam Pring and latterly Rob Cundy  from the fringes of the squad into the first team set up proper. He also bought well re Rob Atkinson and potentially George Tanner too..  In doing so, he’s significantly increased the asset base of the club.  

There is every reason to believe that all the above will be better players next season, having benefited from the faith NP has shown in them thus far.  For this he deserves at least a modicum of credit, even from those who wish to show him the door.

PS

Note you did not include the geriatric imports in your list - though with Martin getting an extension I dread to think what old pals NP might bring in next season

17 minutes ago, swanker said:

And who on earth is going to get more out of the players we’ve got? Yesterday was a good example of what Pearson has achieved with next to nothing. 

Sorted that for you, one too many words; ......seriously though NP who spent his playing life as a defender is on course to equal SOD`s defensive record 2012/13 some 10yrs ago ....good achievement? nah sorry must do a lot better to avoid a proper relegation fight next season, one we seem to have escaped by the skin of our teeth this time. Thanks mainly to AW superb efforts on the goalscoring side of things, expect interest in him this window.

57 minutes ago, swanker said:

Thats always the answer though. Who else? Thats not what i am asking. Not heard anyone give good reasons to how he has a proven track record. If you don’t know just say that.

4 hours ago, Malago said:

PS

But but but... Danny Simpson.

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

Note you did not include the geriatric imports in your list - though with Martin getting an extension I dread to think what old pals NP might bring in next season

I’d imagine Martin’s extension was probably based around appearances or minutes in his last season 

29 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I’d imagine Martin’s extension was probably based around appearances or minutes in his last season 

Pearson confirmed it was a trigger in his contract because he’d made the stipulated number of appearances.  If Pearson didn’t want to keep him (it’s clear he does) then he’d have started cutting his appearances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gl2 said:

and since then........over 7years ago and apart from getting sacked by various clubs hes achieved what exactly? hardly "solid"

I am ashamed that the manager who got us to this div was given just 256 DAYS after he got us here and after we gave him little to no money, then we go and waste multi-millions on the managers that followed.

Seems we have learned nothing as NP is given 3yr contract based on what, certainly not the last 7yrs in management.

And he's not doing too badly with next to no money at Shrewsbury.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

Sorted that for you, one too many words; ......seriously though NP who spent his playing life as a defender is on course to equal SOD`s defensive record 2012/13 some 10yrs ago ....good achievement? nah sorry must do a lot better to avoid a proper relegation fight next season, one we seem to have escaped by the skin of our teeth this time. Thanks mainly to AW superb efforts on the goalscoring side of things, expect interest in him this window.

So , he gets pelters for our defensive lapses , ........but nil credit for getting the best out of Andi Weimann ....

Ok then , no agenda to see here 

The fact that our best professional , with the best attitude , and one of few to have played at the highest level , seems onboard with NP and is producing his best season ever actually confirms to me that NP is exactly who I want at the helm 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

As one manager famously said "stupid question"

He is undertaking a complete overhaul with limited or next to no funds which will take time. There are tangeable improvements on and off the pitch. There will be some regressions along the way but there is purpose and with it progress. In a world full of negativety and bad press it's easy to look at Palmer, Simpson and Bakinson without a bus ticket but really we should be looking at seasoned professional Martin's impressive form over a full season, Weimann's best season as a goal scorer and the emerging talents that are Semenyo and Scott.

The future is bright under big Nige.

• Like 6

He’s done what was required this season. Keep us up and bring through some good youth players.

Very disappointing to concede so many late goals and set pieces and I think the time to start judging him on this will be next season as the youngsters have had that learning time. He will also hopefully be able to bring in a few more players. 

With what is available I don’t think we would easily have found someone better  either. He was left a real mess last season with players departing and no interest in playing for us and it’s not a 1 season job to sort.  So much improvement to be made but realistically he’s done ok this year and we need to be pushing top half next - playing like we did at Preston away. 

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Wasn't Chris Hughton the chosen one???

Whatever happened to him?

?

Funnily enough he saved Forest from relegation then had all his players sold from underneath him as well as a lot being let go and then when he wanted to build the attack for Forest he may resistance and they ended up in a right mess. He fixed a hell of a lot that was wrong there but the fans overlooked that because they are the mighty Forest and deserve to compete. The reason I say funnily enough is because Pearson now finds himself in a similar situation with many of our fans taking similar stance. 

Hughton did a lot for Forest but ultimately the club gave him nothing back and then was surprised when the results didn't come in. Since then Cooper has signed 3 attacking players and essentially built on what Hughton was trying to fix. 

I think this happens far too often in football, managers coming in, starting a major overhaul job and then having a bad run before they can finish the multiple season turn around work they've begun only to have someone come in and continue that work and get all of the credit. 

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Spike said:

Funnily enough he saved Forest from relegation then had all his players sold from underneath him as well as a lot being let go and then when he wanted to build the attack for Forest he may resistance and they ended up in a right mess. He fixed a hell of a lot that was wrong there but the fans overlooked that because they are the mighty Forest and deserve to compete. The reason I say funnily enough is because Pearson now finds himself in a similar situation with many of our fans taking similar stance. 

Hughton did a lot for Forest but ultimately the club gave him nothing back and then was surprised when the results didn't come in. Since then Cooper has signed 3 attacking players and essentially built on what Hughton was trying to fix. 

I think this happens far too often in football, managers coming in, starting a major overhaul job and then having a bad run before they can finish the multiple season turn around work they've begun only to have someone come in and continue that work and get all of the credit. 

CLAudio Raneiri springs to mind….Now who was that bloke!

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Sean O'Driscoll :shifty:

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Not going to pretend to be a Forest expert but isn't saving a team from relegation rather a stretch when you take over after four games? And despite having a pretty talented squad on paper (which I don't think you could say for us), they still finished 17th?

Just not sure we are in the same sphere as Forest. Look through the squad and there's quality in most parts of the pitch.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 2