IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he played well (in context) today when he came on, got us playing, nipped into challenges etc.  I didn’t see any outside influences in his game play today.

I'd be surprised if Massengo is still with us next season. I do think he's got ability and he's still young, but if we get offered anything over 4 million, we won't be able to turn it down in our current position.

I've said on previous threads that i'm not sure what he actually excels at? He's not a great passer of the ball and his assist/goals figures are awful. He can still improve and with better players around him he may go up another level, but i'm not sure he's as good as many believe him to be.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, that’s what I saw, we failed to string any passes together until his arrival onto the pitch.  I thought he was part of the reason we did better in the final 25-30 mins.  

In context, Alex Scott had a poor game today (finished better at RWB / RB).

I post as I see….No favouritism.

I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Massengo clearly doesn’t want to be here you can tell by his recent attitude,hope he doesn’t get the abuse fammy did

Comparing Massengo with Fammy!!!! Come on. Massengo works incredibly hard every game, he battles and wants to win the ball, you could never apply those words to Fammy.  Yes Massengo’s recent attitude may be less than we’ve come to expect but really he’s not going to get the abuse Fammy did. 

Edited by JP Hampton

Whilst disappointing, at the beginning of the season the majority of us realists wanted to stay in the division and didn’t expect much else. We’ve done that. The football has been far from ideal but there are numbers of reasons for the inconsistency’s.  Another window beckons, this coming season would’ve been where I’d like to of seen proper progress. Unfortunately our precarious financial position makes this once again a very difficult season up ahead. Pearson is working with his hands tied behind his back. Would’ve been great to of seen what could have been done with him in charge a couple of years ago with the unlimited funds others have wasted.  

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I'd be surprised if Massengo is still with us next season. I do think he's got ability and he's still young, but if we get offered anything over 4 million, we won't be able to turn it down in our current position.

I've said on previous threads that i'm not sure what he actually excels at? He's not a great passer of the ball and his assist/goals figures are awful. He can still improve and with better players around him he may go up another level, but i'm not sure he's as good as many believe him to be.

He is young and needs to develop but there is a lot there. I can see him leaving in the summer but I am not sure it is in his interests to do so and, if he does, a move will make or break him.

Good as he has looked at times this season, the frank truth remains that he is still struggling to nail down a regular start at a lower table Championship club. I think he can be a top flight player in the future but he is going to have to improve a lot very quickly to get in a top flight squad next season.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He is young and needs to develop but there is a lot there. I can see him leaving in the summer but I am not sure it is in his interests to do so and, if he does, a move will make or break him.

Good as he has looked at times this season, the frank truth remains that he is still struggling to nail down a regular start at a lower table Championship club. I think he can be a top flight player in the future but he is going to have to improve a lot very quickly to get in a top flight squad next season.

Agree with every word, which perversely is why I think he’s the most likely of the 3 to be off if we get a bid.

Semenyo & Scott are far harder to replace, though of course we cannot predict who we get an offer for or how much it is.

10 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Comparing Massengo with Fammy!!!! Come on. Massengo works incredibly hard every game, he battles and wants to win the ball, you could never apply those words to Fammy.  Yes Massengo’s recent attitude may be less than we’ve come to expect but really he’s not going to get the abuse Fammy did. 

Who has been the better player for our club,massengo or fammy in your opinion 

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Who has been the better player for our club,massengo or fammy in your opinion 

Depends what “better” means. Hard working, committed ,tenacious, striving to be better. I can only apply those words to one of those two and that’s Massengo. Admittedly I didn’t watch Fammy much when Johnson first brought him into the side but I did when he returned from injury and I  never saw him work that hard unless his position was under threat e.g when Afobe was on loan. Yes he seemed like a lovely bloke but that doesn’t mean he worked his hardest for the club. I can only speak from what I saw. And that’s the opinion I came too. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Depends what “better” means. Hard working, committed ,tenacious, striving to be better. I can only apply those words to one of those two and that’s Massengo. Admittedly I didn’t watch Fammy much when Johnson first brought him into the side but I did when he returned from injury and I  never saw him work that hard unless his position was under threat e.g when Afobe was on loan. Yes he seemed like a lovely bloke but that doesn’t mean he worked his hardest for the club. I can only speak from what I saw. And that’s the opinion I came too. 

Being our top scorer for a couple of years under a LJ side was no mean feat trust me when he had scraps to live off and not forgetting he was probably our best defender at set pieces which has come home to roost 

23 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Being our top scorer for a couple of years under a LJ side was no mean feat trust me when he had scraps to live off and not forgetting he was probably our best defender at set pieces which has come home to roost 

Fair enough but as said I still don’t think you can compare their work ethic and as you said earlier we’ll have to agree to disagree. And that’s the beauty of a forum. 

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Fair enough but as said I still don’t think you can compare their work ethic and as you said earlier we’ll have to agree to disagree. And that’s the beauty of a forum. 

Spot on,sometimes in normal life you have to put your foot down and ask what you think you deserve,if you don’t get it you work out your notice and get what you want 

Feels like a strange one to pick out Massengo today. 

May be wrong but not sure we touched the ball until he came on today. 

Funny day overall. I think it's the first time we've sat around and discussed Nigel Pearson. Nobody was really sure what we're aiming for but everyone felt he's probably still the right person to lead us. 

Let's see what the summer brings. 

• Like 4

This thread (and others) have done my absolute head in this season  as I'm unsure what people were expecting? Surely at the start of the season most people would have taken where we are  right now in the table? The football hasn't been great at times but I've also seen more at times from these players than I have the last couple of years.

We are in a complete financial mess going into the summer but what we do have now largely  thanks to Pearson and the coaching  development is 2 or 3 players who can either be sold or be better next year. Think we will just have enough room to bring in a couple of cheap deals and should have enough to stay up again. (Other teams are in the shit too)

Hopefully then the books are a bit more balanced and the structure behind the scenes then allows us to start looking forward. For me personally if we are safe again this time next year then once again Pearson has done his job. Not sure people understand how much of a mess this club was in and what a long journey it still is to get out of it. 

As somebody else alluded to, don't think there is anybody else realistically I would want in charge right now.

• Like 17
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I've always felt that it's a bit generous to use "he was our top scorer for a few years" as a point in favour of Fam.

Across those years he was often playing as a lone striker, in front of a low scoring midfield, and he was being given penalty duty. He was also playing almost all of every game. It would have been a pretty severe failure were he not to have been top goalscorer in those circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree so much.

We needed experience in at this point to avoid a spiral.  I’m not saying we have the worst squad in the Championship, but I don’t think it is that good either, and we’ve relied on a stellar Andi Weimann, producing a career best season (by some stretch), the emergence of several young players that ought to be better from 1) a season of regular(ish) first team football or 2) a season of being part of a first team training squad, with minutes here and there.

We are trying to survive on the cheap, and we’ve done that.  It’s painful, yep, but it could be so much worse.  We aren’t getting relegated.  It sounds negative, it sounds forgiving of the manager, giving him excuses, but I honestly don’t think there were too many out there capable of rebuilding us.  I think it might be fair to say Cook and Hughton turned us down because it was a very tough gig.

Some are saying next season’s squad might be weaker.  Yep, it might.  Does that not say how big a mess we are in, that after 12 months of cost cutting, we still have to scale back further.  Relying on sell-ons for Kelly for example, or selling our young stars…how did it come to that.

Thank god, we have the likes of Benarous, Conway, Bell, etc that can build upon what we’ve seen from Scott, Semenyo and Pring.  Credit to Academy staff, but also Pearson for sacrificing “budget” to work with a squad that includes these….rather than paying for experience that might buy us a few “worthless” positions up the league table.

I’m probably in a minority that has enjoyed this season, not everything is visible through on field performances.  I’m happy to live with that view.

Hughton didn't turn us down !

22 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

This thread (and others) have done my absolute head in this season  as I'm unsure what people were expecting? Surely at the start of the season most people would have taken where we are  right now in the table? The football hasn't been great at times but I've also seen more at times from these players than I have the last couple of years.

We are in a complete financial mess going into the summer but what we do have now largely  thanks to Pearson and the coaching  development is 2 or 3 players who can either be sold or be better next year. Think we will just have enough room to bring in a couple of cheap deals and should have enough to stay up again. (Other teams are in the shit too)

Hopefully then the books are a bit more balanced and the structure behind the scenes then allows us to start looking forward. For me personally if we are safe again this time next year then once again Pearson has done his job. Not sure people understand how much of a mess this club was in and what a long journey it still is to get out of it. 

As somebody else alluded to, don't think there is anybody else realistically I would want in charge right now.

I agree with most of what you say but i do feel that Nige has been given a bit of a free ride this season.

Whilst our financial problems are clear, i don't believe that we are in any more of a mess than Luton, Preston, Millwall, Huddersfield etc.

A managers job is to improve what he has available to him, and i don't feel he has done that. Nige still has my support but unless we bring in 3 or 4 players in the summer that greatly improve us, next season will unfortunately follow a similar pattern.

I thought at the very least he would make us organised and hard to play against, but if anything, we are the opposite of that.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Whether Hughton or Cook “turned us down” or not (poetic licence from me), they went through 2+ interviews, before finding they / City weren’t the fit they each side thought they were.  Cook basically tried to make himself look bad in the interview, when he realised how big a mess it was, so he wouldn’t get offered the gig.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I agree with most of what you say but i do feel that Nige has been given a bit of a free ride this season.

Whilst our financial problems are clear, i don't believe that we are in any more of a mess than Luton, Preston, Millwall, Huddersfield etc.

A managers job is to improve what he has available to him, and i don't feel he has done that. Nige still has my support but unless we bring in 3 or 4 players in the summer that greatly improve us, next season will unfortunately follow a similar pattern.

I thought at the very least he would make us organised and hard to play against, but if anything, we are the opposite of that.

Out of possession we are a disorganised shambles for much of the time. 

6 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Oh we are.  The quality of our squad for the wasted cost far outweighs those clubs.  

• Like 8

Who really thinks we have improved under NP in the past year? we have regressed even more than even under the Johnsons and Dean i.mo. Before that ??? who exactly is selecting these managers ffs. The futures bright....yeah right. ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Whether Hughton or Cook “turned us down” or not (poetic licence from me), they went through 2+ interviews, before finding they / City weren’t the fit they each side thought they were.  Cook basically tried to make himself look bad in the interview, when he realised how big a mess it was, so he wouldn’t get offered the gig.

Ah OK fine. It read like you meant Hughton turned us down because of our financial position.

He was never offered the job.