IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Don't agree, the points deductions were for transgressions last season and comparing like for like as far as actual performances and points gained this season it;s a valid argument we would be a lot nearer trouble if those points deductions had not been made though of course we would probably still be ok. 

Transgressions last season certainly have a massive impact on this season. 

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Transgressions last season certainly have a massive impact on this season. 

They did, and the teams have rightly been punished for it which has undeniably helped us in what has been a very difficult and disappointing season.

Edited by pillred
Add comment

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

They do, and the teams have rightly been punished for it which has undeniably helped us in what has been a very difficult and disappointing season.

I agree. 

But as you say rightly punished, you reap what you sow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastred said:

Totally agree with you. JL has only got the job because Daddy owns the business. Let’s not forget he disappeared last season when things were tough - JL needs to be given another job away from the club

If Pearson was prepared to deal with agents I would have Pearson as DoF, but he doesn’t like agents or loans. Unfortunately we are stuck with Pearson because we can’t afford to sack him 

I think we need to go with a DoF to give us a chance of having someone who can recruit rather than ex Leicester players. Someone like Rob Newman who is doing a good job at Man City on the scouting side, springs to mind

Hes now at West Ham mate but still doing a grand job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Plenty of squads full of talent that cannot play together without the right guidance. That Forest squad couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery until Hughton started making the changes needed, now he's gone and the building was near done and they're fighting for promotion. Yes they had the talent, but they had no direction.

Again, not a Forest expert but they won 14 games in almost a year under Hughton. Doesn’t smack of having loads of clear direction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Losing by the odd goal away to the second best team in the league, seems a very strange time to resurrect this thread from the depths :dunno:

Not sure it’s a “resurrection” or from the depths tbf, it’s the first game since the last posts 

I don’t agree with the sentiment of it though 

6 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So Derby were deducted 21 points and Reading 6. Without this it would put Derby above and Reading 1 point behind with a game in hand. As I said- let's see where the season takes us and see how close it was after the final 6 matches.

Agenda's work both ways. Some take it very personally if anyone criticises Nigel so I suggest you man up- I'm not a loan voice.

But the deductions are there, you play to what’s actually happening / happened not theoretical situations. No guarantee that Derby perform as well without the deduction - it may have helped galvanise the squad, us against the world mentality

• Like 1

I think Pearson has done ok. Maybe a little lower than what we expected but I don’t think we should be looking elsewhere until the fall at the earliest. He is also not the sort of character we should be undermining with a DoF either. I get the impression the board are trying something new with Pearson, giving him more control of the stuff Ashton kept for himself. It also seems clear to me that JL was proved right over the DH appointment and so what if he went AWOL for a bit because Ashton probably made him nauseous like the rest of us. 

I can’t go to the games but I’ve watched at least 90% this season on Robins TV. I’ve seen a huge improvement in our performance overall in particular against the stronger teams where we no longer give up or look like an embarrassment. The way I assessed today’s game was to wonder what it would have been like under LJ or DH after going 3-1 down.

Not gonna lie, I’m excited for next season under Pearson. I judge him on what he’s achieved with the likes of Cundy, HNM, Semenyo, Weimann, Martin even, Atkinson, Bentley, Dasilva…. Even if we lose one of the three of SMS, I’m still optimistic. When was the last time we gave a “big name” manager a decent amount of time to make the club his own. Let’s also not forget he wanted 3 seasons. 

Nige for me is like the Sean O’Driscoll that we all wanted but never got. He’s giving the kids a chance but is in danger of being a victim of his own transition.  For me it would be a step backwards to part company with him now.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I think after your first paragraph you are utterly and catastrophically wrong

City are finding a way with kids and bringing them on. We need that as our only way forward as the money has been spent by Johnson Lansdown Ashton et al. Loans don’t help building a side buy plug gaps to make everyone feel better about not challenging. Loans won’t necessarily even horkp a challenge, but will help Liverpool Manc  etc build their bloody side for the future. 

Would you be happy being a Forest fan who have managed to improve significantly with loans?

I guess the point I’m point I’m making is to highlight a perceived stubbornness about Pearson. Not wanting to deal with agents or use loan players doesn’t seem to be particularly open minded 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

And what a job steve cooper has done,,, wilder too,,, how come our rivals can make these appointments?!

Have a think about that one. How come our rivals don’t appoint a complete and utter fraud as CEO and find themselves ****** financially next season. Not only that but having done that why don’t our rivals tell supporters they know **** all and proceed to defend the fraud to the hilt? Why would that be then?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Would you be happy being a Forest fan who have managed to improve significantly with loans?

I guess the point I’m point I’m making is to highlight a perceived stubbornness about Pearson. Not wanting to deal with agents or use loan players doesn’t seem to be particularly open minded 

What is your actual point about "Not wanting to deal with agents"?

Are you asserting that the manager of a football club must deal directly with agents and not leave this to the chief executive or other club officials? Or are you either misunderstanding or deliberately misrepresenting what Nigel Pearson has previously said and naively assuming that Bristol City Football Club does not interact with agents at any level?

Was Sir Alex Ferguson a clown when he said he had no contact with agents and didn't deal with them directly but that it was the responsibility of his chief executive?

Edited by View from the Dolman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we’ve regressed.  As has the squad available to select from. As has the cost of that squad. 

Hang on, Martin and Weimann have 30 league goals between them (possibly the most productive partnership in the division) we have three of the most talented youngsters in the division, we have two experienced midfielders with premiership experience, two centre halfs that have won promotion from this division and a keeper than many think is one of the divisions best yet we are still a shambles, Pearson has been a massive disappointment and we are as bad this April as we were last April, there is no way this team should be near the foot of the table playing the most dreadful football and no one can tell me that the likes of Millwal, Luton, Blackburn etc have better players yet are fighting for promotion 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

What is your actual point about "Not wanting to deal with agents"?

Are you asserting that the manager of a football club must deal directly with agents and not leave this to the chief executive or other club officials? Or are you either misunderstanding or deliberately misrepresenting what Nigel Pearson has previously said and naively assuming that Bristol City Football Club does not interact with agents at any level?

Was Sir Alex Ferguson a clown when he said he had no contact with agents and didn't deal with them directly but that it was the responsibility of his chief executive?

My actual point is that he has said he doesn’t like dealing with agents and doesn’t like loans. Seems closed minded to me

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Could we have kept or offered new deals to all those players? No, not without spending shit loads of money we didn't have.
Slice it how you like the CEO went, the fact that most people wanted him gone is a bonus. I honestly think he realised he was about to be found out. 
I give you that there are questions about our injuries, but a change was needed. I'd say a revolution was needed, it's started. It needed a strong man to come in, with experience. Now Pearson has started the process.
Am I content at where we are, probably not. But I'm not sure dumping the plan now is the right thing.

Said it at the time should've kept Lansbury and Hunt but instead replaced them with King, Simpson and James = Awful business.

2 minutes ago, Eastred said:

My actual point is that he has said he doesn’t like dealing with agents and doesn’t like loans. Seems closed minded to me

Any chance of answering my other questions?

Are you asserting that the manager of a football club must deal directly with agents and not leave this to the chief executive or other club officials? If yes, that seems closed minded to me and you seem to value your opinion as being more worthy than that of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Or are you either misunderstanding or deliberately misrepresenting what Nigel Pearson has previously said and naively assuming that Bristol City Football Club does not interact with agents at any level?

It’s Sunday morning 8am mate. I’m not too bothered whether Pearson does it doesn’t deal with agents. He can deal with the Queen as far as I’m concerned. I’m just saying in the modern game, without a DoF he’s not happy to deal with Agents or consider loan players

in my opinion, which isn’t the same as yours that isn’t opened minded.

8 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Appreciate that the win percentage isn't great, but we're no longer the worst side in the league (in terms of underlying stats). That alone shows improvement on last season. 

This season has been far from good, but it's been a little bit less bad. That's the only point I'm trying to make here. 

The changes since Pearson arrived are considerable. When Brian Clough went to a struggling Forest, he brought in the essential to every team; a new spine that held everything together. Due to the terrible financial management of the JL/MA era, it is taking much longer to do the same here.

So, we've had to patch the squad on cheap signings and raw Academy boys. Our ability to concede last minute goals has seriously hindered the points won. Yet another defeat yesterday but one with a big difference.

Against a team awash with premier standard, and parachute millions, we were still in with a possibility of a draw in the last two or three minutes.

We also have learned how to score goals. The bleak days of endless matches with one or none shots on target are gone. Two yesterday against second in the table. Fifth highest Goals For in the Championship!

Sort the defending in this summer and start having clean sheets at home and AWAY, and our "Nul Points" record will alter to more consistent home wins and away draws with some juicy wins thrown in.

This year has been somewhat disappointing but so much has been achieved. I see a brighter future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Waconda said:

Said it at the time should've kept Lansbury and Hunt but instead replaced them with King, Simpson and James = Awful business.

All about opinions.
I thought Lansbury was poor and Hunt too. Right to move them both on.
Simpson, towards the end of his fist year he started to look ok. Previous to that I would have got rid, but could understand circumstances meant it made sense, though hindsight says no. I would say King & James have had a positive impact, much more so than Lansbury, only stopped by injury.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, harrys said:

Hang on, Martin and Weimann have 30 league goals between them (possibly the most productive partnership in the division) we have three of the most talented youngsters in the division, we have two experienced midfielders with premiership experience, two centre halfs that have won promotion from this division and a keeper than many think is one of the divisions best yet we are still a shambles, Pearson has been a massive disappointment and we are as bad this April as we were last April, there is no way this team should be near the foot of the table playing the most dreadful football and no one can tell me that the likes of Millwal, Luton, Blackburn etc have better players yet are fighting for promotion 

Agree with this 100%.

Much of the shouting down of any constructive criticism of performances and results over the last 14 months is beginning to look more and more like desperate excuse making to deflect from the obvious embarrassment  and disappointment many will be feeling after trumpeting this Manager as the the Messiah, coming in to "kick lazy back sides"  sort out the "dead wood", make us aggressive, organised and difficult to beat.

He hasn't got an easy job, no new manager taking over a club usually does but we have underperformed with the quality of squad available consistently over 14 months.

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

All about opinions.
I thought Lansbury was poor and Hunt too. Right to move them both on.
Simpson, towards the end of his fist year he started to look ok. Previous to that I would have got rid, but could understand circumstances meant it made sense, though hindsight says no. I would say King & James have had a positive impact, much more so than Lansbury, only stopped by injury.

I disagree but then all about opinions.

Lansbury has a chance of being a Premier League player next season.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Keepers letting in 30-35 yarders from Steve Cook and who simply cannot kick a ball without putting snow and huge backspin on it certainly don’t strike me as being up there amongst the best in the division. Bentley is a World Beater/Panel Beater type keeper. It’s not an accident that our football has regressed since he’s been back - unfortunately the other lad can play out but saves **** all.

Talented youngsters = inconsistency. Scott has been shite lately, understandable mind, but that’s the facts.

What Kalas has achieved in the past is completely and utterly irrelevant to the schoolboy errors he has made that have cost us goals this season.

The fact that Matty James has Premiership experience does not bar him from having the passing accuracy of a Toolstation League player in some matches, that’s got nothing to do with tactics.

The fact we have struggled for two and a half seasons under three different managers SHOULD tell you something about the ability of the players we have.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

No he doesn’t, he’ll be first to get his arse kicked out of the door if they got promoted.

You have of course no idea of knowing this.

I said "chance" and he does have that.

Meanwhile Czech International Kalas and Austrian International Weimann have absolutely no chance, currently marooned in an absolute shambles of a team.

11 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I see where you're coming from, and it's something I've wondered about quite a bit. I think it comes down to the difference between a "squad on paper" and a starting 11 in practice.

Were you to simply look at a squad list, you'd see we have quite a few good individual players, perhaps more so than some other clubs higher in the table. (Bentley, Kalas, Baker, Klose, Atkinson, Weimann, Semenyo, Wells etc - lots of "high value names" in there).

The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to actually make a strong, balanced starting 11 out of our squad. How many games this season have we had to start without an actual RB/RWB playing at RB/RWB? Do we have any real wingers in the squad at all? O'Dowda is the only one really - our best attacking players are all most effective through the centre. That's a real issue in selecting a starting 11. 

Conversely, other clubs may have fewer "star players", but they have a collection of players that compliment one another and that fit into a clear set-up/system. 

Good post.  The squad was unbalanced even at the start of the season….compromises made in summer recruitment after losing several players.  Through injury, it’s been exposed further.  The finances have made it difficult to address that imbalance.

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m no Billy Shakespeare I will give you dat 

Perhaps if you were Craig it would be a help! ?

2 hours ago, harrys said:

See SuperSonic’s quoted post above.

I guess if you take the best bits of every player and take that as your baseline, you’ll see a decent team / squad.  But our players don’t play at those levels week in week out for they?  Plus it is unbalanced with little depth.  The fact that our young ones are covering that depth makes my opinion that it isn’t a great squad.

But all about opinions, just explaining mine. ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Waconda said:

Meanwhile Czech International Kalas and Austrian International Weimann have absolutely no chance, currently marooned in an absolute shambles of a team.

Colin Cramb played in the Premier League, fair play to any individual that achieves it, but hardly a sign that they’re de facto the creme de la creme of the footballing world and worth retaining/acquiring. 

42 minutes ago, Waconda said:

**** me your repetitiveness is getting boring.

• Like 2