IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think all these names are valid, but often the step up is a struggle for managers as it is with players. Championship requires an odd blend of a bit Prem, a bit League 1, which is, unsurprisingly, tricky to find. Quite a big challenge to find someone prepared to work with the constraints that will be in place. Think we need to be careful what we wish for if NP leaves (I know you’re not in the NP out camp) for next season, probably minimum one more season of dirty work to be done a la O’Driscoll and then hopefully we’re much better set up and a more attractive proposition to be taken forward. 

Yep, there is also the “big name” type too that shouldn’t be dismissed.  Allegedly SL asked about Gerrard in the previous summer.  Although Joe Jordan came here as a player, there is no doubt, that his stature in the game had a big impact when he became manager.

Most definitely not in Pearson Out camp, far from it.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

@Davefevs That is a terrifying prospect but not altogether unlikely. If it were to happen ai don’t think we would have to wait too long for the ‘ I was right along’ insinuations from LJ.

I hope Nige stays but I can see a fallout with SL and JL coming and I suspect Nige would walk of his own violation.

We are in a mess financially in no small part due to LJ ( although not all down to him).

Re-hiring him would be a huge mistake and not go down well but as we have heard before the mantra from SL of it’s my club would come back into play.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, no tickle….just paranoia from silence I think.

You realise that within hours the LJ back at City rumour will have spread across the farthest reaches of the Internet and will be doing the rounds at every pre-match pub for the coming weeks!! ?

The Chelsea option on Massengo rumour has only just died down ffs and now you bring a new one out!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like Ainsworth too.

I also like Paul Warne.  Neither are massively young, both are 48.

Of the younger bunch, I like Duff.  Liam Manning has a lot of fans.

I like Leam Richardson, Matt Gray, and Rob Edward's of the younger coaches but only with an experienced DoF to guide and manage up (SL/JL).

Or for a foreign coach how about Torsten Lieberknecht who had done well and not at a huge club so might want the challenge.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not easy to articulate, just a combo of things that might all add up.

I think SL will react, they’ll have a disagreement and Nige will tell him some more home truths and tell him “I’m off, I don’t need this shit”.  He’ll leave honourably, with no pay off and enjoy his health.

And it would not surprise me if Lee Johnson takes us into next season.

**** off Dave. 

• Haha 10
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I think LJ coming back here now would remind him too much of the (uphill) job he faced at Oldham, so I'm going to say @Davefevs has got this one wrong, and wait to see what kid in his riot van says.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying it with any authority / knowledge.  Hope you’re right.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like Ainsworth too.

I also like Paul Warne.  Neither are massively young, both are 48.

Of the younger bunch, I like Duff.  Liam Manning has a lot of fans.

We often agree. Warne is hugely underrated & Duff has done an incredible job at Cheltenham, I also read an article where he said how much he loves living in The Cotswolds (who can blame him?) so for once geography would be in our favour.

Don’t want a change at all (we are at a pivotal time) but if Nige walked those 2 would be top of my list.

I watched us pretty much home & away when Pulis was appointed so already know I’m a lifer but would have only slightly more enthusiasm for the return of LJ than back then, if it was Cotts on the other hand ?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

All very valid comments, some of which I agree with.

As I said, it just wouldn’t surprise me, he’s “very out there” in the media at the mo’, and I could see SL picking up on that.

Turned down the Peterborough job recently.

24 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Don't back-peddle now, Dave. The Genie-us, LJ, is out the bottle, and all over otibs 

Back pedal?  Still got me stabilisers on ?

1 minute ago, Waconda said:

Turned down the Peterborough job recently.

So i hear….don’t blame him.  His dad didn’t have a great time there.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Back pedal?  Still got me stabilisers on ?

So i hear….don’t blame him.  His dad didn’t have a great time there.

Didn't think of it at the time of hearing this but perhaps he sees an opportunity closer to home opening up in the near future ?

Not ITK but a terrifying prospect for some on here.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think SL will react, they’ll have a disagreement and Nige will tell him some more home truths and tell him “I’m off, I don’t need this shit”.  He’ll leave honourably, with no pay off and enjoy his health.

I think you're spot on - except Nige will leave by mutual agreement with partial pay-off IMO.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sludge said:

I think you're spot on - except Nige will leave by mutual agreement with partial pay-off IMO.

As others have said some great posts over the 20 pages so far.

I'm sure looking at the our stats since January 2021, most fans of other clubs will be incredulous as to how we are still in this division, and have never been in the respective relegation zone in either season.

Ultimately as a club we appear somewhat rudderless at the moment, and seem to be treading water will this mythical "Let's get to Summer 2023, and then all the problems will be sorted mantra". Hence the 3 year plan that was mooted

For me at the moment, there doesn't seem to be much of a plan, other than trying to reduce the wage bill, and stay in the division; and my hook or by crook, that's what NP has done. I still  believe the team is playing better football this season than last, on the basis of how many of the games we have lost have been by the fine margin of only 1 goal. 

We are not the basket case of the relegation team of 2012-13, that still had some decent players in it as well. It's difficult to see anything positive about our current situation other than the emergence of a number of promising young players, that due to the squad issues have been given opportunities that perhaps they wouldn't have had in previous seasons.

Really this squad hasn't been pushed or found itself fighting for it's life in a relegation zone either. It's all a question of what the expectation of what the board/owner is at the moment. We seem to have coasted through two seasons of some pretty turgid football at times, but of course this season we are in the top 6 for goals scored (shame about the goals against).

If we really had an ambitious plan moving forward; it'll'' become evident in the Summer. We will have to sell one or more of our jewels in order to take the pragmatic approach to revamp the playing squad, alongside taking massive amortisation hits on a number of players just to get them off the playing budget. It's a shame of course, that once again we have become a selling club, but ultimately what is point of keeping players like Semenyeo, HNM and Scott if as a squad you are failing in so many other areas?

Or do we do the safe option, release a few this summer, and plod into the next season; once again hoping just to finish outside the bottom 3? It's all about expectation isn't it?

Personally I can't see any decision being made about NP until it is either forced by us being in the bottom 6 after 10-12 games of the 22-23 season; or a falling out over ambitions/priorities over the summer. I'm sure NP is aware of the latter, so that won't be an area of contention.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe, but I’d be prepared to see LJ in action under RG.  We can then judge him without excuse.

At the end of the day, I’ll back any City manager, I’ll praise and criticise objectively as I see fit.  Whoever is in charge needs support, the right set up, professionals, etc to succeed.  Mark Ashton was not a good fit (polite).

I also would like to think i have that same thought process of ‘‘i would back any City manager’’ but I’m sorry i would struggle massively to back LJ if he ever came back.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

IMO- the combo of things that will add up will be poor results since Nige came here and lack of progress on the pitch. I think SL also may well feel "I dont need this shit'.

I genuinely don't see NP as the long term solution just part of a much bigger problem. As for NP walking- I suspect that will only happen when left with no other option and will be  substantially down to his current management ability not withstanding his successes of yesteryear.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, big dosser said:

blimey dave i just spat me cuppa out

i think the problem is we go for managers that i dont think we relate to or they dont relate to us.i wanted to see big nige do well but i feel he just looks like a man going through the motions.due to his health concerns i think he would do a better job upstairs with a younger up and coming man underneath.i will stick my neck out here as i have before a man i would love to see given a chance is garth awinsworth.

i know people will ask why so my reasons would be 1-works on a shoestring budget if not no budget 2-seems to find some gems out of lower league levels 3-gets the best out of all his players 4- very good with tactics and 5 most important just seems a great bloke and brims with confidence which i always feels rubs off on even the most negative of fans.oh forgot and we could also set a trend of showing are big hairy chests :laugh:

please exscuse my spelling

I think that's best for everyone. I think he's got the vision to sort the club out, just not sure if he's the best person to actually manage the team. Making him Director of Football and bringing someone else in makes sense to me. Can't comment on Ainsworth or anyone else, have no idea who's out there.

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

As others have said some great posts over the 20 pages so far.

I'm sure looking at the our stats since January 2021, most fans of other clubs will be incredulous as to how we are still in this division, and have never been in the respective relegation zone in either season.

Ultimately as a club we appear somewhat rudderless at the moment, and seem to be treading water will this mythical "Let's get to Summer 2023, and then all the problems will be sorted mantra". Hence the 3 year plan that was mooted

For me at the moment, there doesn't seem to be much of a plan, other than trying to reduce the wage bill, and stay in the division; and my hook or by crook, that's what NP has done. I still  believe the team is playing better football this season than last, on the basis of how many of the games we have lost have been by the fine margin of only 1 goal. 

We are not the basket case of the relegation team of 2012-13, that still had some decent players in it as well. It's difficult to see anything positive about our current situation other than the emergence of a number of promising young players, that due to the squad issues have been given opportunities that perhaps they wouldn't have had in previous seasons.

Really this squad hasn't been pushed or found itself fighting for it's life in a relegation zone either. It's all a question of what the expectation of what the board/owner is at the moment. We seem to have coasted through two seasons of some pretty turgid football at times, but of course this season we are in the top 6 for goals scored (shame about the goals against).

If we really had an ambitious plan moving forward; it'll'' become evident in the Summer. We will have to sell one or more of our jewels in order to take the pragmatic approach to revamp the playing squad, alongside taking massive amortisation hits on a number of players just to get them off the playing budget. It's a shame of course, that once again we have become a selling club, but ultimately what is point of keeping players like Semenyeo, HNM and Scott if as a squad you are failing in so many other areas?

Or do we do the safe option, release a few this summer, and plod into the next season; once again hoping just to finish outside the bottom 3? It's all about expectation isn't it?

Personally I can't see any decision being made about NP until it is either forced by us being in the bottom 6 after 10-12 games of the 22-23 season; or a falling out over ambitions/priorities over the summer. I'm sure NP is aware of the latter, so that won't be an area of contention.

Good post and a reasoned summing up of the current position, though I'd add that, reducing the wage bill has been harder than first thought, with some movement in January expected, both ways. This has probably impacted on the three year plan. Also, not unlike last year, selection has been difficult due to the sheer amount of injuries to a smaller, less experienced squad, resulting in inconsistency in selection, formation and results. I think this more than anything else has impacted our season.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a parting of ways, as Lansdown doesn't seem to enjoy people running his team/club, who know football and aren't afraid to call a spade a spade, ultimately being a challenge to his authority. I expect another young hungry inexperienced manager, sorry head coach, to be appointed by Lansdown, as he's previously stated his preference for young and hungry employees. 

• Like 4

With Bristol live reporting that a massive 19 players are out of contract either this summer or next summer, it gives NP plenty of scope to change things.

Of course depends on the availability of pound notes and FFP rules etc, but who is out and who is in his plans/ squad to kick on. ? and also ...can he be bothered/will he be allowed his choicesFran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Still in the Pearson camp but would have expected to be in significantly better shape than we are on the field. 

The prime objective for the season of transformation within the division, as opposed to our usual approach of regrouping in League One, has more or less now been achieved. 

I’m still struggling though to observe any identity, partnerships, fighting or, to be frank, any other footballing qualities or patterns of play. Even our youngsters seem to have lost their way a little after bright starts. Our injury record is as bad as ever, and we just don’t seem to have the power, passion or performance levels of other teams - issues Pearson said he would address. We also have no ******* scouting system worthy of its name, something a football- man like Pearson I would have thought would be a top priority. Somewhat bizarre team selections and substitutions make one feel a bit uneasy too. 

Just hoping this season is not a ‘stay of execution’, as opposed to building the foundations of a sustained challenge for the top ten. Interesting and worrying times. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Good post and a reasoned summing up of the current position, though I'd add that, reducing the wage bill has been harder than first thought, with some movement in January expected, both ways. This has probably impacted on the three year plan. Also, not unlike last year, selection has been difficult due to the sheer amount of injuries to a smaller, less experienced squad, resulting in inconsistency in selection, formation and results. I think this more than anything else has impacted our season.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a parting of ways, as Lansdown doesn't seem to enjoy people running his team/club, who know football and aren't afraid to call a spade a spade, ultimately being a challenge to his authority. I expect another young hungry inexperienced manager, sorry head coach, to be appointed by Lansdown, as he's previously stated his preference for young and hungry employees. 

Yep, that’s partly why I think Pearson needs longer to get to something resembling “his squad / team”.  Ideally we’d be going into this summer with all the “dead-wood” gone but some of them (e.g. Palmer) might just see their contracts out, that’s another year’s money wasted on a player.  That makes it doubly hard.  Of course the argument might be countered “why can’t he coach them to improve”….which is a bit ironic when the same people are saying these players are “league one at best”.  You can’t have your cake and eat it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

We’ve missed the boat with the hungry young coaches that were available, they’re doing fine at Swansea, Forest & PNE 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bris red said:

I also would like to think i have that same thought process of ‘‘i would back any City manager’’ but I’m sorry i would struggle massively to back LJ if he ever came back.

It would intrigue the hell out of me - I’d love to see the difference without Ashton 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It would intrigue the hell out of me - I’d love to see the difference without Ashton 

That's why I can't see it happening, because it's the only real justification for giving him another shot but doing so would be a tacit admission by SL that Ashton was the cause of a lot of the issues and made a mug of him.

• Like 6

I think NP will have done the first bit of the demolition needed to clear the crap. I suspect that he may stay to do much of the rest of the clearance needed. I’m not so sure about a coupe of things though.

1) Whether he’ll be here to rebuild.

2) Above will depend on SL’s future plans. Will SL want to use NP to at least get the club back onto a more solid footing, i.e. average/decent mid table team but with potential to build a challenge for higher. Making the team more attractive for an investor to get in a new management team of their choice. Or does SL still have the ambition to see a plan through and try getting to the Prem while he still owns the club. Plus of course the completion of the new Sports Quarter.

My gut feeling is that logically we may get a slightly better season than this year, but it will be a year to ideally get the demolition completed. I then think that by then SL will either be close to selling his stake in BCFC (or most of it) and NP will be replaced by a coach of a new regime’s choice. If doesn’t happen, and SL still in control, then I think he will get impatient and get a replacement in again anyway. We will look back and underestimate the job NP will have done in keeping us in the Championship while clearing out the club.

We might strike lucky next year and hit a consistant spell with a couple of good signings and injury free, and do a Luton or Millwall. But let’s not kid ourselves that Luton, Millwall, Preston have been slowly building within their means for years. We’ve been a bit boom and bust with our transfer planning. Reality is we’re gonna need a few years of Millwall and Luton patient rebuild. 

In short, I think NP will be gone by this time next year, although I hope I’m wrong because if he’s still here then, that might mean we’ll be on the right track at last. But have little faith in SL making a good appointment and indeed, question if he still has the desire for it.

• Like 8