IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

1 hour ago, tin said:

As and when NP does leave, ask yourself what structure will be left behind? SL has done nothing to appoint sporting director, the recruitment team has stood still, and we’ll need a whole new medical and coaching team once again. We’ll be in a better place on the pitch, but I bet managers wouldn’t be queueing up to join the Mary Celeste.

At the very least, SL’s had a golden opportunity to tap into NP’s experience and structure the football club from the ground up. Instead, he uses him like a firefighter. Not much will change on the pitch while the Lansdowns are involved IMO. 

As ever, I’m content with this season as it’s been bang on with my lowly expectations given the constraints. It’s not been perfect but it not been the disaster many doom merchants make it out to be either.

When you put it like that, it makes you wonder whether he might walk at some point.  

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

As and when NP does leave, ask yourself what structure will be left behind? SL has done nothing to appoint sporting director, the recruitment team has stood still, and we’ll need a whole new medical and coaching team once again. We’ll be in a better place on the pitch, but I bet managers wouldn’t be queueing up to join the Mary Celeste.

At the very least, SL’s had a golden opportunity to tap into NP’s experience and structure the football club from the ground up. Instead, he uses him like a firefighter. Not much will change on the pitch while the Lansdowns are involved IMO. 

As ever, I’m content with this season as it’s been bang on with my lowly expectations given the constraints. It’s not been perfect but it not been the disaster many doom merchants make it out to be either.

Don’t fret

We will have full continuity with Jon Lansdown overseeing affairs (When he’s not in Bermuda)

All about how we start next season. If we are not top half after 10-15 games, i think it will be time for a change.

I've wrote off this season, but we should expect to see more progress, specifically becoming more difficult to beat, early next season.

Otherwise, it will be too long without any real progress

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

All about how we start next season. If we are not top half after 10-15 games, i think it will be time for a change.

I've wrote off this season, but we should expect to see more progress, specifically becoming more difficult to beat, early next season.

Agree that’s exactly what will happen. There’s been no real progress to date. I think there are reasons and there will be reasons next season - for a start I can see us potentially losing all of: Baker, Kalas, Weimann and Semenyo. I don’t trust our/Pearson’s recruitment. 

To be honest, regardless who is manager I just feel we’re on a slow slide to relegation (history repeating itself yet again). We’ve lost direction and identity. In terms of spirit, identity, style of play, how far are we from the team Cotts got promoted - feels like a distant memory and different football club. 

• Like 4

He needs to be able to invest. Without investment he has to work with what he has at his disposal.

We lack quality and strength in depth which enables us to compete at the top end of the championship.

It doesn’t matter who is in charge, expecting anything more with what we have got is unrealistic.

I think we have done well just to avoid the drop considering the lack of funds available.

I would have expected nothing from Saturday’s game, but we lost by a fine margin. To lose by the odd goal against the quality of opposition that we were up against isn’t bad. It was always going to be a very difficult game.

I think that we could be facing a points deduction next season and there won’t be a lot of cash available for investment. I envisage another season of struggling and replacing Nigel Pearson with someone else won’t make the blindest but of difference. 

The mentality is improving within the squad and I fear that a change could undo that work. It’s going to take a long time to get this club on the right footing and looking at the results in the here and now is just a small part of a much bigger picture that we need to accept needs a hell of a lot of work behind the scenes.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

When you put it like that, it makes you wonder whether he might walk at some point.  

When he made that comment about being bored of saying the same things and how the fans must be bored of hearing him saying the same things,  I did start to wonder and worry.    I don't love Nige as much as I did,  but  he's done an alright job given the mess he inherited and I don't think he or any one else wants to go through  yet another miserable damp squib of a season where so few of the players seem to be prepared / capable of putting back to back solid performances.

We just  have to hope that he and Gould have struck up enough of a relationship and that SL backs them to get on with some smart transfer business over the Summer.     I'm not desperate to hang on to any of the current squad really, although it would be nice to hang on to the Academy stars for another year and make some more £££ later.   They should be able to make a few quid , offload some cost and get some fresh faces in.       We really need much more sense of team pulling together rather than a bunch of ill fitting individuals.

As far as the Lansdowns are concerned,  we have enough data going back enough years to be able to make an assessment of their ability to make decisions about football related matters.     We are where are because of their judgements.    They should now be encouraged to restrict their activities to signing cheques and spending more of their tax free billions on football rather than real estate or rugby.   

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Think it’s worth waiting to see what the squad looks like at the start of next season before setting your stall out.  We still have costs still to cut, we have high earners who it won’t be easy to move on.  If we can shift the right players and recruit smartly, then I agree…but that’s a huge “if” sitting here today.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it’s worth waiting to see what the squad looks like at the start of next season before setting your stall out.  We still have costs still to cut, we have high earners who it won’t be easy to move on.  If we can shift the right players and recruit smartly, then I agree…but that’s a huge “if” sitting here today.

Yeah i get all that - but this season, with some decent defenders, we have been very easy to score against. Regardless of who we bring in, i wanna see improvement in that area - i want us to become more gritty and difficult to play against. With the defenders he has now and has the option to keep, plus a couple more, i feel like he should be able to achieve at least that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yeah i get all that - but this season, with some decent defenders, we have been very easy to score against. Regardless of who we bring in, i wanna see improvement in that area - i want us to become more gritty and difficult to play against. With the defenders he has now and has the option to keep, plus a couple more, i feel like he should be able to achieve at least that.

Yep, often it’s what’s happening in front of them though that can be the problem.

At the start of the season I thought we were hard to break down, but lacked much flair.  Had Semenyo been available then, might things have been different?  I dunno, but it would’ve allowed us to not flog Martin.

Ah well, 6 games to go then a summer of hope and expectation as well as worries and concerns in equal measure.  That’s what following Bristol City is like.  Just renewed my season ticket. Arghhhh!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

To be honest, regardless who is manager I just feel we’re on a slow slide to relegation (history repeating itself yet again). We’ve lost direction and identity. In terms of spirit, identity, style of play, how far are we from the team Cotts got promoted - feels like a distant memory and different football club. 

We'd waited so long for a manager like Cotts., inspirational for both players & fans.

The day SL booted him out to install Johnson Jnr felt like a kick in the goolies from the owner.

One I haven't recovered from yet in terms of passion for his club.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We'd waited so long for a manager like Cotts., inspirational for both players & fans.

The day SL booted him out to install Johnson Jnr felt like a kick in the goolies from the owner.

I agree 100% my passion has also largely disappeared since those days.  It’s now just a social thing for me with little hope of entertainment. 
Cotts for me was in the spirit of Terry Cooper (where’s the memorial??) or early Gary Johnson. Certain characters work at this club… but it’s not really a club now, we’re just watching someone else’s business. I think change at the very top is the only way to breath some life and energy back into the place. 
We need ambition and people with football ambition. Some sad trends have emerged - “good defeats” are celebrated, appalling home form and bad runs are tolerated…. So much apathy from so many.  How did we get here??!!!!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Spot on, way too quick in sacking him imo, zero chance of him returning as well.

SL has made many poor "choices" since then and I have seen nothing to suggest he has improved in those choices.

We seem to be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" ever since those heady days.

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I agree 100% my passion has also largely disappeared since those days.  It’s now just a social thing for me with little hope of entertainment. 
Cotts for me was in the spirit of Terry Cooper (where’s the memorial??) or early Gary Johnson. Certain characters work at this club… but it’s not really a club now, we’re just watching someone else’s business. I think change at the very top is the only way to breath some life and energy back into the place. 
We need ambition and people with football ambition. Some sad trends have emerged - “good defeats” are celebrated, appalling home form and bad runs are tolerated…. So much apathy from so many.  How did we get here??!!!!

Cannot say how much I like this post, but I`d put your hard hat on :clap:

15 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Loads of great points on this well trodden topic. No point in me typing what I agree with and don't agree with.

For me it just feels like we are now just 'also rans' rather than anything else. I just can't see that changing any time soon not because of Pearson but because we were so far gone i.e. the rot has been so deeply set that it will take years to fix rather than a summer of wheeling and dealing. 

I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being a realist. I just hope that SL is of the same mind because whether one is an NP fan or not, then to make a change at any point in the the next 2 years to me would be a wrong move. Of course NP may choose to walk at some point and that to me would be as disastrous as him being fired.

I would settle for a couple of consolidations of mid-table finishes even after this season. That should be enough time to cut out the rot and start building towards something that sees us challenging at the right end of the table. I know this amount of time will be too long for some fans but so much damage has been done and it's going to take an almighty effort and time to get us back on an even keel again. 

That all makes a lot of sense to me…. Trouble is, consolidation feels a long way off to me and I fear it’ll happen in League One. Papa John Pizza ? Cup and a Bristol Derby anyone????? ??? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Loads of great points on this well trodden topic. No point in me typing what I agree with and don't agree with.

For me it just feels like we are now just 'also rans' rather than anything else. I just can't see that changing any time soon not because of Pearson but because we were so far gone i.e. the rot has been so deeply set that it will take years to fix rather than a summer of wheeling and dealing. 

I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being a realist. I just hope that SL is of the same mind because whether one is an NP fan or not, then to make a change at any point in the the next 2 years to me would be a wrong move. Of course NP may choose to walk at some point and that to me would be as disastrous as him being fired.

I would settle for a couple of consolidations of mid-table finishes even after this season. That should be enough time to cut out the rot and start building towards something that sees us challenging at the right end of the table. I know this amount of time will be too long for some fans but so much damage has been done and it's going to take an almighty effort and time to get us back on an even keel again. 

Great post & nails our current situation.

I feel we will be walking a tightrope over the next two years as regards Nigel walking,,or just as likely falling victim to the blinkerdness of those holding the reigns -;whom may react to fan reaction of those without the vision,,patience or desire to face the facts of the mess we are in - or fall victim to their self inflicted frustrations.

As you say either result would be disastrous.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, gl2 said:
42 minutes ago, gl2 said:Cannot say how much I like this post, but I`d put your hard hat on :clap:

Thanks. Tin hat at the ready!   That said, this seems to be a pretty balanced thread - certainly the last bit of it that I’ve managed to read! 

Edited by Mendip City

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

36 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Great post & nails our current situation.

I feel we will be walking a tightrope over the next two years as regards Nigel walking,,or just as likely falling victim to the blinkerdness of those holding the reigns -;whom may react to fan reaction of those without the vision,,patience or desire to face the facts of the mess we are in - or fall victim to their self inflicted frustrations.

As you say either result would be disastrous.

Yep, agree a good post.

I’m happy to stomach another season like this, many aren’t, as is our choice.  At the end of 22/23 we should no longer have any player here who isn’t wanted here. FFP won’t be an issue, and then we hopefully see the growth from the foundations laid.  It might happen next season, but we need to get this summer out of the way first, and see where we are.

But we can’t afford to go down.

If our board (I mean owner really) can’t stomach it or doesn’t like a bit of “feedback” from Pearson, they should act now, but I’d seriously question why they chose him in the first place?  Maybe the truth hurts?

I do feel like SL has lost his appetite anyway.  The sooner he finds new investors the better.

Footnote: I’m resigning myself to Pearson not being here in August

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

Great post & agree with all of it.

However we have already seen a lot of “Pearson has to get it right this summer” posts from the usual suspects & I’m sadly not convinced the majority want to bother to look deeply enough as why we are in the position we are, or have the patience for it.

I like Pearson & am very happy to defend him (when appropriate) on here but am coming to the conclusion mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for under the current ownership, no matter who is picking the team.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, agree a good post.

I’m happy to stomach another season like this, many aren’t, as is our choice.  At the end of 22/23 we should no longer have any player here who isn’t wanted here. FFP won’t be an issue, and then we hopefully see the growth from the foundations laid.  It might happen next season, but we need to get this summer out of the way first, and see where we are.

But we can’t afford to go down.

If our board (I mean owner really) can’t stomach it or doesn’t like a bit of “feedback” from Pearson, they should act now, but I’d seriously question why they chose him in the first place?  Maybe the truth hurts?

I do feel like SL has lost his appetite anyway.  The sooner he finds new investors the better.

Footnote: I’m resigning myself to Pearson not being here in August

I’d seriously question why they chose him in the first place?  

Blind panic would be my guess. 

I wasn't against his appointment at the time but have been extremely underwhelmed since.

Though to be fair we have not gone down.

1 minute ago, Waconda said:

I’d seriously question why they chose him in the first place?  

Blind panic would be my guess. 

I wasn't against his appointment at the time but have been extremely underwhelmed since.

Though to be fair we have not gone down.

Hes a bit of an odd choice for blind panic though? Comes with a reputation of being a very prickly character, you'd think blind panic we'd find ourselves someone who is more of a 'yes man' as not to rock the boat?

• Like 1

Just now, DaveF said:

Hes a bit of an odd choice for blind panic though? Comes with a reputation of being a very prickly character, you'd think blind panic we'd find ourselves someone who is more of a 'yes man' as not to rock the boat?

They just done the "Yes" man, pivoted to the other extreme maybe ?

Human nature perhaps.

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Yeah, doesn’t feel like blind panic when they had him “on trial” for 2/3 months before committing to 3 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, doesn’t feel like blind panic when they had him “on trial” for 2/3 months before committing to 3 years.

the other way of looking at it is that it was actually Blind Panic hence the reluctance to commit long term straight away.

Fire fighter type appointment in their eyes ?

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

That all makes a lot of sense to me…. Trouble is, consolidation feels a long way off to me and I fear it’ll happen in League One. Papa John Pizza ? Cup and a Bristol Derby anyone????? ??? 

That would be a disaster but it's happened to bigger clubs than City. 

However, if I owned the club the number one priority now is to avoid the scenario you have outlined above. That may sound like an obvious thing to say but I'm not convinced that SL and those around him have some delusional thoughts that we will be challenging in the top half of the table next season. I feel as things stand the club is probably at the most critical point since probably 1982. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but if the club don't get things right or at least mostly right over the next 2 seasons then I really fear for our beloved club.

Anyway, I'd better get back to work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

However, if I owned the club the number one priority now is to avoid the scenario you have outlined above. That may sound like an obvious thing to say but I'm not convinced that SL and those around him have some delusional thoughts that we will be challenging in the top half of the table next season. I feel as things stand the club is probably at the most critical point since probably 1982. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but if the club don't get things right or at least mostly right over the next 2 seasons then I really fear for our beloved club.

I feel similar.

SL has become mute (and tone deaf at the same time), his Chairman son talks like a fan, not a Chairman.

As HMHB sang:

”the girlfriend looks like Peggy Mount, what am I supposed to doooooo”

”I’m up the creek, let alone a paddle, I haven’t even got a canoe”

Okay, a bit dramatic, but it doesn’t feel great at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Agree!!! I also need to do some work! 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I feel similar.

SL has become mute (and tone deaf at the same time), his Chairman son talks like a fan, not a Chairman.

As HMHB sang:

”the girlfriend looks like Peggy Mount, what am I supposed to doooooo”

”I’m up the creek, let alone a paddle, I haven’t even got a canoe”

Okay, a bit dramatic, but it doesn’t feel great at all.

I might be wrong but it feels like the Lansdown’s have largely lost interest or lost the passion/fight/stomach for it (who can blame them?  After 40+ this is the most I’ve struggled to remain passionate about it). 
It feels like they are politely holding the fort, including converting debt to shares but maybe just waiting on new investment/new ownership. As I say, could be completely wrong! 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

What we haven't mentioned is that we're to some extent up for sale.

So while it does seem that City are going to trapped in bottom half purgatory for the foreseeable future, things still could change.

That might involve spending power (or just a promise of spending power!)

It could involve a new management team, or the support NP needs.

There could be a new buzz of excitement at Ashton Gate but could also further desenfranchise the purist City fans.

But surely the Lansdowns will eventually find a buyer, albeit they may need to change their own terms of that deal to get it done ?‍♂️

In the meantime, with the current state of our squad and finances, I don't see much point in changing the gaffer.

Edit: literally just got mentioned above!!!

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1