IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Funnily enough he saved Forest from relegation then had all his players sold from underneath him as well as a lot being let go and then when he wanted to build the attack for Forest he may resistance and they ended up in a right mess. He fixed a hell of a lot that was wrong there but the fans overlooked that because they are the mighty Forest and deserve to compete. The reason I say funnily enough is because Pearson now finds himself in a similar situation with many of our fans taking similar stance. 

Hughton did a lot for Forest but ultimately the club gave him nothing back and then was surprised when the results didn't come in. Since then Cooper has signed 3 attacking players and essentially built on what Hughton was trying to fix. 

I think this happens far too often in football, managers coming in, starting a major overhaul job and then having a bad run before they can finish the multiple season turn around work they've begun only to have someone come in and continue that work and get all of the credit. 

I hope forest fall flat on there arse hat the club Hughtons done the hard work and cooper comes out of it smelling of roses 

On 19/03/2022 at 18:19, billywedlock said:

Fans want overnight fixes to complex problems . It’s tiresome that so few understand the depth of a mess we have at the club . Change feels good because it means you enter another phase of uncertainty and something has happened . But if you keep doing that without fixing deep rooted issues at the club it matters little . We have done this for 20 years . Yet here we are again with a group of average over paid  players . In the past we got relegated during this phase . 

the issue this summer is not Pearson , it is recruitment . 

??????

Absolutely this. Expecting a massive change or turn around, when we're in a position unlike any other, off the back of a pandemic which has caused us huge losses (even more so than usual!) therefore we have no funds to go out and make vast changes and improvements. 

Ours fans are like all other football fans though, some can't see the bigger picture and want success, understandably so, don't we all. But **** me, the club has been left a mess and with piss poor management from the very top. SL as much of a saviour he is, he's also wasted an awful amount of money which has been poorly invested in the squad. Recruitment is key this summer, but with no funds, it's going to be incredibly difficult. 

As for the comment of "Nige has been given more time than most"... Bloody right too! We're not Watford, constantly changing manager. LJ overstayed for sure, by a couple of years IMO, but it's right you give the manager time, if you can see progress. I've seen progress in lots of areas, some still need improving massively (conceding late goals is a real problem). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Agree with the thrust of your post, but this bit stuck out; saviour? Really? 

Saviour perhaps not, but certainly a facilitator with the investment in the squad, the stadium and the training ground. The issue is some of the clowns he's had around him, and how culpable he is for that.

At the moment we've got an experienced football manager who's been there and done it at the helm, and a respected operator as CEO. That set-up is one of his better calls of the last two decades IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Saviour perhaps not, but certainly a facilitator with the investment in the squad, the stadium and the training ground. The issue is some of the clowns he's had around him, and how culpable he is for that.

At the moment we've got an experienced football manager who's been there and done it at the helm, and a respected operator as CEO. That set-up is one of his better calls of the last two decades IMO.

While this is true, it’s also missing a lot of context, I’d also say that it’s deeply troubling that it’s taken two decades to get this right, especially as the set up is absolutely hamstrung because of massive mistakes previously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

While this is true, it’s also missing a lot of context, I’d also say that it’s deeply troubling that it’s taken two decades to get this right, especially as the set up is absolutely hamstrung because of massive mistakes previously. 

At the end of the day, we were a largely second or third division club long before SL came along. Yes there are other smaller teams who have got it right and got to the Premier League during his time but there's also plenty of teams who've had a worse time than us too.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 3

On 19/03/2022 at 17:22, DaveInSA said:

A 2-2 draw at home against a premier league parachute payment side. 

In isolation a good result.

And at the same time disappointing.

If the players cannot see out a win, why are they playing. What are they doing? It comes back to leadership again.

They don’t have the balls, the backbone, the nous, the know how, the brains, the leadership, the communication, the shithousery, the skills, the wisdom or the capability. To close out games. 

Or a manager who uses subs with 3 minutes to go to break up play and see the game out.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

How many teams have played in the Prem ? 50/51 ? We are not one of them despite being funded by a multi billionaire . I would suggest that is a massive fail . 

The issue has been less the funding but the inept way we have managed those funds . We have never set out a clear plan on how to reach the Prem and have never employed people at the club  to deliver it . It runs from academy , to coaching , to management and most importantly, recruitment . How can you talk Prem when no one at the club ( for decades ) has not the minimum idea what that means . 

You are right and the first one to admit that would be the majority shareholder. 

The inept way we managed the money available for transfer is an absolute given. SL put his men in place and funded them. The bloke himself would admit that. However other funds for the HP and development at the ground were managed well enough. We have kids coming through to the first team who look very decent an excellent stadium that is going to get expanded.  

BCFC set out a very clear plan in the five pillars, it was just a bit crap and leant itself to Ashton Johnson And Board triple speak. And as such was a bit crap. But it was definitely set out!

SL has the final say. But takes into account advice. Our problem really started when SC and SL fell out. All the ballyhoo about Gayle and the other bloke and we were left not building properly on promotion in 15. Ffs Sack Cloth turned us down. 

SL called on Johnson Jnr and the rest as they say is history. Now we are rebuilding without gob loads of money but through the HP. 

Your greater point about us being crap for 40 years is of course true. We have been ran terribly since HD turned up his toes by a bevy of fork wits. That is us! But we do now have the facilities the stadium and the infrastructure (just look up the road by comparison) to mount a sustainable challenge and become self sufficient in the Southampton model. (Look at the Dell and St Marys and how they have recruited) 

I just hope I don’t die, like my old man, dreaming about the day we can be that, however if anyone thinks we are no further forward are not paying attention!

On 19/03/2022 at 17:16, Negan said:

I’d agree with that. I don’t think a manger has ever been given such leeway from our fan base as Nige has been given. Mostly because we all know what the challenges were. However after 18 months (I know it’s not 18 months yet but will be come the beginning of next season) there has to be improvements in the concerning areas. He won’t get the fall back of the squad not being good enough next season. 

Why is there an assumption that next season the squad will be any better? Yes we will have the benefit of some of the deadweight being (hopefully) offloaded, but we might also lose Semenyo, Scott and Massengo to big money sales. That money is unlikely to be allowed to be reinvested as it will be instead used to help alleviate the financial mess we are currently in.

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Now we are rebuilding without gob loads of money but through the HP. 

In a bizarre way if we can get the best out of this route we might go some way to having a team of Bristolians, or at least a group of young players that may benefit from the HPC, whether they all be Bristolians or those attracted to City at a young age.

It is why I really want us to keep hold of the three young players.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Pearson has never managed under the financial restrictions that we are currently facing. I agree that his player signing record at Leicester was impressive but can’t see this being reciprocated here due to financial restrictions. I would like him to stay but his reliance on untested inexperienced players either through the academy or opportunist signings is reliant on the coaching staffs ability to get them to perform to where Nigel wants them to be. Nigel had very limited coaching abilities but his expectations are probably too high of these youngsters to perform week after week. That’s why he has brought in experienced pros he hopes having worked with his previous coaching staff will rub off on current squad?? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Funnily enough he saved Forest from relegation then had all his players sold from underneath him as well as a lot being let go and then when he wanted to build the attack for Forest he may resistance and they ended up in a right mess. He fixed a hell of a lot that was wrong there but the fans overlooked that because they are the mighty Forest and deserve to compete. The reason I say funnily enough is because Pearson now finds himself in a similar situation with many of our fans taking similar stance. 

Hughton did a lot for Forest but ultimately the club gave him nothing back and then was surprised when the results didn't come in. Since then Cooper has signed 3 attacking players and essentially built on what Hughton was trying to fix. 

I think this happens far too often in football, managers coming in, starting a major overhaul job and then having a bad run before they can finish the multiple season turn around work they've begun only to have someone come in and continue that work and get all of the credit. 

Good post - Sean O’Driscoll put lots of good things in place behind the scenes at our club before he was sacked - then we flew after that ... building on what he’d done ... his next two jobs were assistant manager at Liverpool FC and manager of an England age group squad - so he was clearly well thought of and was no mug ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Agree with the thrust of your post, but this bit stuck out; saviour? Really? 

Maybe that might be too strong, however look at some of the other 'big' clubs around us. Be careful what you wish for. The horror of a new man coming in and changing our colours from Red to blue like Cardiff did (blue to red) is never, ever worth a small stint in the prem. 

SL has caused us problems, but he's also dipped his hand in his pocket a heck of a lot, a lot through his own fault mind you. 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2022 at 17:47, RonWalker said:

Not going to pretend to be a Forest expert but isn't saving a team from relegation rather a stretch when you take over after four games? And despite having a pretty talented squad on paper (which I don't think you could say for us), they still finished 17th?

Just not sure we are in the same sphere as Forest. Look through the squad and there's quality in most parts of the pitch.

Plenty of squads full of talent that cannot play together without the right guidance. That Forest squad couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery until Hughton started making the changes needed, now he's gone and the building was near done and they're fighting for promotion. Yes they had the talent, but they had no direction.

Don’t know what the answer is really. Pearson has been desperately disappointing but would any manager really see us an attractive addition to their cv at the moment. Can’t help but think it is a slow death in this league and we will be back in league one in a couple of years.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t know what the answer is really. Pearson has been desperately disappointing but would any manager really see us an attractive addition to their cv at the moment. Can’t help but think it is a slow death in this league and we will be back in league one in a couple of years.

Bit more context needed here I think.

”Desperately disappointing” would be being relegated. Not relatively comfortable in lower mid table.

I’d say Pearson has been mildly disappointing. With his track record we might have expected a bigger impact, sooner. But, equally, I think that track record means he gets the benefit of the doubt and should be afforded more time to build a team. Particularly given the mess he inherited, and the fact that we are in no immediate threat of being relegated. And not to mention the last thing this club can afford is another pay off.

A huge summer is coming up. Pearson has to get it right and we need to see genuine progress next season. Top half finish as a minimum for me. But I don’t see much value in yet another change of manager that would be hugely expensive with no guarantee of improvement.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Still see no football philosophy from Pearson. I don’t think keeping him does us any favours. That said, probably has met the requirement to stay. Next year I can’t foresee being better and good chance it is worse. We’ll see what happens with the squad but do I have faith we can recruit to a higher standard than last summer? No I don’t and that is even with possible large sales of Scott Massengo and Semenyo

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Still see no football philosophy from Pearson. I don’t think keeping him does us any favours. That said, probably has met the requirement to stay. Next year I can’t foresee being better and good chance it is worse. We’ll see what happens with the squad but do I have faith we can recruit to a higher standard than last summer? No I don’t and that is even with possible large sales of Scott Massengo and Semenyo

Given everything else you state how do you work the highlighted section? And, what was the requirement- merely staying up by the skin of our teeth or progress?

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What a silly response.

Little money to spend on fees or wages, trying to tempt players to an almost certain relegation scrap will not be easy (Leicester has beens excluded).

We will badly need a coach who can get more out of less or we will go down.

Edited by Waconda

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Massengo clearly doesn’t want to be here you can tell by his recent attitude,hope he doesn’t get the abuse fammy did