IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda - what a bargain?

BigAl&Toby

It’s an unhappy truth for some that when COD moves on in the summer, he will have suitors at this level. Not too old, experienced at this level, full international and a degree of versatility on paper. I’m not suggesting in any way we should keep him, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him back at AG in opposing colours next season.

The sliding doors moment for me was Hull away a few years ago. Coming up to that game, he was in quality form and showing signs of kicking on to the next level. Picked up a bad injury and hasn’t ever got back to the same level. Without that, the conversation around COD would be markedly different.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s an unhappy truth for some that when COD moves on in the summer, he will have suitors at this level. Not too old, experienced at this level, full international and a degree of versatility on paper. I’m not suggesting in any way we should keep him, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him back at AG in opposing colours next season.

The sliding doors moment for me was Hull away a few years ago. Coming up to that game, he was in quality form and showing signs of kicking on to the next level. Picked up a bad injury and hasn’t ever got back to the same level. Without that, the conversation around COD would be markedly different.

Absolutely spot on SD, was there that day and have always said the same. He was playing really well prior to that injury but has rarely looked interested or capable since.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, swanker said:

Apparently he was really good in league 1. Perhaps that’s his level because I can’t imagine a string of championship clubs queuing up to spend serious money on him. 

I don’t think he ever played in League 1. I thought we bought him from Oxford in the summer they won promotion from League 2

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Quite possibly true. I’m confident he won’t suddenly increase his goal contributions, ability not to bottle challenges or be able to run with the ball without checking back when things look a bit tricky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Personally reckon in his decent wages not many CH clubs will be in for him.

Never getting the wage he's on now elsewhere.

Also think if Oxford get promoted he'd go back. Otherwise someone like Sheff Wed or Sunderland I could see coming in for him.

Edited by Fuber

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Spot on.

He’ll end up at the likes of Blackburn or Birmingham, I think.

It hasn’t quite worked out for him here & I know the OP was just making a pretty pathetic attempt at a joke, but in contrast to Palmer at least we have had something out of him.

Having said that I do think he’ll go & that is for the best all round.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you are absolutely correct and you've phrased it perfectly with "sliding doors moment". If I were to go back a little further, I wish he'd have had one more season at Oxford. He would have matured a little more, taken the team forward and been a potential big fish in a small pond with other options (no offence to Bristol City!). 

Enough of Captain Hindsight from me...

Nailed on Ipswich ….. MA to rekindle their relationship. 

We’ve done some incredible ‘try before we buy’ deals - Palmer is standout, but CoD’s re-signing takes the biscuit. 

Unfortunately, MAs nice chaps or ‘good humans’ don’t automatically make good Championship footballers. Thought the transformation from ‘cosy club’ to ‘competitive club’ was going to happen last summer… this summer is better late than never. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, it’ll be no different to a similar group of other club’s OOC players who will be of interest to clubs whose own fans think isn’t good enough.

Some players will flourish at their new club at the same level and fans will bemoan it, others will prove their club were right to let them go.

I guess Ipswich might show an interest, but I would expect O’Dowda to still be in the Championship next season.

8 hours ago, swanker said:

Apparently he was really good in league 1. Perhaps that’s his level because I can’t imagine a string of championship clubs queuing up to spend serious money on him. 

Found his level at 21 did he? They might not spend serious money but Callum will be staying in the championship. 

Plenty of clubs will be interested. Shame injuries have disrupted his progress under Nigel. 

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Found his level at 21 did he? They might not spend serious money but Callum will be staying in the championship. 

Plenty of clubs will be interested. Shame injuries have disrupted his progress under Nigel. 

That’s not the only reason that I’d forgotten about CoD, he was so ineffective when he did play that I hardly noticed him playing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

He’ll end up at the likes of Blackburn or Birmingham, I think.

It hasn’t quite worked out for him here & I know the OP was just making a pretty pathetic attempt at a joke, but in contrast to Palmer at least we have had something out of him.

Having said that I do think he’ll go & that is for the best all round.

Pretty pathetic attempt at a joke?

Made me chuckle. Lighten up.

If it had been KP45 in that awful ******* suit walking about modelling those shirts I’d have said the same ?

Enjoy the game yesterday?

On 20/03/2022 at 09:51, Casualobserver said:

I think you are absolutely correct and you've phrased it perfectly with "sliding doors moment". If I were to go back a little further, I wish he'd have had one more season at Oxford. He would have matured a little more, taken the team forward and been a potential big fish in a small pond with other options (no offence to Bristol City!). 

Enough of Captain Hindsight from me...

Might just be me but when I first saw your post name I thought you were called Casualobster :laugh:.

• Haha 1