IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda - what a bargain?

BigAl&Toby

39 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I think a player can be at a club to long. And this is what I think about COD. I reckon for his own career he should move. Get the fire in the belly going again 

Tend to agree as was the case with Patterson 

36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Unfortunately he has been injured often and has been a bit hit or miss when able to play. Is there a consistent player in there?…..Maybe! If Pearson thinks he can do something with him and keep him fit, then give it a whirl, the past is not necessarily a guide to the future, however it’s the only one we have. 

My view has always been I don’t think he’s crap….I don’t think he’s as bad as some make out, nor as good as some others do either.  He frustrates me because he has some ability and doesn’t make best use of it, and allows some of his weaknesses come to the fore too often.

Personally I’d like to see whether we can find someone better.

But I’m not gonna threaten to get a season ticket refund if he re-signs on a sensible wage, either.

We have a manager who I have a lot of faith in.  If he feels Callum isn’t worth exercising his contract on £x’000 p.w, but feels he can be a contributing squad member on £y’000 p.w, then I’m fine with it.  Who knows, other signings, tweaked systems, etc, might bring out the best of him.

I don’t necessarily buy “Pearson rates him” anymore than “Pearson wants shot”….Nige wants people committed to being on the bus…how they play and train (in relation to those they’re in competition with) will determine how often they get picked.  He’s pretty fair in that respect.

On a fitness side:

Positives, no recurring hamstring issues from season before

Negatives: can you do much about contact injury v Blackpool and twisting knee v Reading

I’d be happy to keep him, on the proviso that we get our value for money. 

Let’s say he’s been on £15k per week for the last 3 years. That’s means he’d have earned £2.34m. 
Value for Money for him, in my opinion would be no more than 7.5k per week. 
If we extend him for 3 more years, £7.5k per week over the total 6 year period would be £2.34m. 
Therefore, as we’ve already got the maximum value out of him, if he’s ok with £0 per week, then I’d be happy to give him another 3 years. 

I think that’s fair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Time to move on, he hasn't done it consistently yet for us, so the law of averages suggest he isn't likely to either. Maybe a useful squad player on lower wage but he should really test his value with other clubs, international, good age lots of champ experience should get plenty of interest & IMO he could do with the fresh start.

Much more interesting to see new players come in who may be able to take us forward

Really nice guy & great with the young fans but believe it would just be better for all parties to move on.

• Like 1

If we can’t get anyone better then I say we keep him, which would obviously be on highly reduced terms if we’re presuming there aren’t any better alternatives.

I actually don’t mind him when his only job is to play forwards, with a back 4 + 1/2 proper defensive midfielders I can see a role for him.

If we’re planning to keep a back 5 or utilise him in a defence role then he has to be let go, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My view has always been I don’t think he’s crap….I don’t think he’s as bad as some make out, nor as good as some others do either.  He frustrates me because he has some ability and doesn’t make best use of it, and allows some of his weaknesses come to the fore too often.

Personally I’d like to see whether we can find someone better.

But I’m not gonna threaten to get a season ticket refund if he re-signs on a sensible wage, either.

We have a manager who I have a lot of faith in.  If he feels Callum isn’t worth exercising his contract on £x’000 p.w, but feels he can be a contributing squad member on £y’000 p.w, then I’m fine with it.  Who knows, other signings, tweaked systems, etc, might bring out the best of him.

I don’t necessarily buy “Pearson rates him” anymore than “Pearson wants shot”….Nige wants people committed to being on the bus…how they play and train (in relation to those they’re in competition with) will determine how often they get picked.  He’s pretty fair in that respect.

On a fitness side:

Positives, no recurring hamstring issues from season before

Negatives: can you do much about contact injury v Blackpool and twisting knee v Reading

My personal view is that he is not mentally strong enough. He disappears in games, however clearly he does have ability that we have seen in flashes, wasn’t it at Norwich where he beat a boat load of players and scored? Anyone that would try and sell that as a fluke would be a bit nuts. 

IF Pearson wants him or is thinking he might we have the Weimann situation all over again with contracts. And that ended pretty satisfactorily after a long term injury (there were a boat load of people on here who wanted him gone as well)

There would only be one reason to offer him a new deal and that is if Pearson thinks he could toughen him up mentally and physically, while also making him consistent. 

You maybe correct about some injuries, but after a while you start thinking about being injury prone. But, to be frank, City have a long and storied history of taking a chance on players who have clogged treatment rooms, of which the obvious one to work out was Webster……among a plethora of failure. 

Ultimately if he stays it’s on Mr Pearson and if he thinks the value is there versus buying/getting in someone else that is OOC then I’m all over it!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke…is the goss.

Yeah as I said Weimannesque!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

My personal view is that he is not mentally strong enough. He disappears in games, however clearly he does have ability that we have seen in flashes, wasn’t it at Norwich where he beat a boat load of players and scored? Anyone that would try and sell that as a fluke would be a bit nuts. 

IF Pearson wants him or is thinking he might we have the Weimann situation all over again with contracts. And that ended pretty satisfactorily after a long term injury (there were a boat load of people on here who wanted him gone as well)

There would only be one reason to offer him a new deal and that is if Pearson thinks he could toughen him up mentally and physically, while also making him consistent. 

You maybe correct about some injuries, but after a while you start thinking about being injury prone. But, to be frank, City have a long and storied history of taking a chance on players who have clogged treatment rooms, of which the obvious one to work out was Webster……among a plethora of failure. 

Ultimately if he stays it’s on Mr Pearson and if he thinks the value is there versus buying/getting in someone else that is OOC then I’m all over it!

? 

44 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I assume you were clamouring for Ivan Lucic to lead the line when Reid was filling his boots each week?

You really think there are similarities between Reid & O’Dowda, honestly?

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nope. Never said it was. Just making a point. Weird how fans trust Pearson but hate COD, a player that Pearson appears to rate!

Hate?? Maybe a few do, but the huge majority don't. Any manager can rate a player, but when that player doesn't do it consistently on the pitch in actual League games, then fans surely have a right to think the player just isn't good enough (generally). If Pearson thinks he can somehow change him to being more consistent then I hope he's right (and so would every City fan), but all things considered, in the 6 years he has been here he has been poor overall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Hate?? Maybe a few do, but the huge majority don't. Any manager can rate a player, but when that player doesn't do it consistently on the pitch in actual League games, then fans surely have a right to think the player just isn't good enough (generally). If Pearson thinks he can somehow change him to being more consistent then I hope he's right (and so would every City fan), but all things considered, in the 6 years he has been here he has been poor overall. 

Agreed. I don’t hate him, in fact from what I understand from those who know him he’s a really nice lad. 

Problem is he’s a very poor Championship footballer who has season after season proved to be incapable of performing at this level.

If he was a youth player just breaking in or a new player finding his feet one could cut him some slack but he isn’t. He’s been here SIX years and reached the height of mediocrity. Honestly players like Alex Scott have done more in six games than he’s shown in six years. 

We have had worse players technically over the years but taking seasons served, games played and contributions made he’s one of the worst players we have ever had in my time watching City.