IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda - what a bargain?

BigAl&Toby

19 hours ago, Harry said:

I’d be happy to keep him, on the proviso that we get our value for money. 

Let’s say he’s been on £15k per week for the last 3 years. That’s means he’d have earned £2.34m. 
Value for Money for him, in my opinion would be no more than 7.5k per week. 
If we extend him for 3 more years, £7.5k per week over the total 6 year period would be £2.34m. 
Therefore, as we’ve already got the maximum value out of him, if he’s ok with £0 per week, then I’d be happy to give him another 3 years. 

I think that’s fair. 

Funny cos it's true

• Like 1

It comes down to the fact that we are not going to progress by rewarding failure. It's inherent in the culture of the club, quite happy to accept mediocrity if someone's a nice lad or a good worker. He's been here five or six years, he didn't do anything to earn his last contract extension, he hasn't done anything to earn another one.

Flashes of promise mean bugger all if they never turn into anything. He can go and waste somebody else's time. It's beggars belief that far better players have been hounded out of the club whilst there are still some people who want to give him another chance. A realistic scenario is that he signs a three year deal, has 5 or 6 good games a season and we end up in this position again in three years time.

• Like 4
  • Flames 5

21 minutes ago, KegCity said:

It comes down to the fact that we are not going to progress by rewarding failure. It's inherent in the culture of the club, quite happy to accept mediocrity if someone's a nice lad or a good worker. He's been here five or six years, he didn't do anything to earn his last contract extension, he hasn't done anything to earn another one.

Flashes of promise mean bugger all if they never turn into anything. He can go and waste somebody else's time. It's beggars belief that far better players have been hounded out of the club whilst there are still some people who want to give him another chance. A realistic scenario is that he signs a three year deal, has 5 or 6 good games a season and we end up in this position again in three years time.

Excellent points. Along with all that I’d much rather we use any money potentially spent on his continued wages on our academy and young players.

I actually find it surprising he doesn’t get more criticism not less, especially when you consider far better players in our squad have had plenty. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

True enough. But he is a ball carrier which is an attribute in sides that defend for long periods looking to break. Again, I am not saying he should stay, just looking at reasons that successive Managers seem to be keen to use him.

A ball carrier that constantly runs into trouble because he doesn’t play with his head up 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

Well said Dave. There really is no need for the level of personal attack that some people aim at our own players.

Has anyone personally attacked him? I've been pretty scathing about his footballing ability but I have no ill will towards him personally. I support the club not the players though, and in my view its in the club's interests to move him on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Has anyone personally attacked him? I've been pretty scathing about his footballing ability but I have no ill will towards him personally. I support the club not the players though, and in my view its in the club's interests to move him on.

........and if NP decides it's in the club's interest to keep him, I'll back his view rather than yours.

?