Jump to content
IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda - what a bargain?


BigAl&Toby
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, One Team said:

Agreed. I don’t hate him, in fact from what I understand from those who know him he’s a really nice lad. 

Problem is he’s a very poor Championship footballer who has season after season proved to be incapable of performing at this level.

If he was a youth player just breaking in or a new player finding his feet one could cut him some slack but he isn’t. He’s been here SIX years and reached the height of mediocrity. Honestly players like Alex Scott have done more in six games than he’s shown in six years. 

We have had worse players technically over the years but taking seasons served, games played and contributions made he’s one of the worst players we have ever had in my time watching City. 

A very poor championship player? Weird that it seems Pearson wants to keep him then.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A very poor championship player? Weird that it seems Pearson wants to keep him then.  

Fair challenge, I should’ve said extremely poor! 😀

Hopefully any media talk of him signing a new deal is just that and hopefully with the likes of Kane Wilson signing then O’Dowda can leave quietly and be a distant memory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

You could say he’s played in a relatively poor side since he arrived here. 
We need players who are going to turn us into a good side and although he’s a decent player, far too inconsistent and injury prone 

He was here when we beat man united and gave man city a hell of a game. I wish him well but if he gets a new contract we might as well give up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

He was here when we beat man united and gave man city a hell of a game. I wish him well but if he gets a new contract we might as well give up.

Without checking he can’t have been here long and did he feature in those games? Has been relatively downhill since then as well

Agree new contract is not an option for me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just NO City. Can’t believe we’ve given it a second thought.

Signing the lad was a mistake, offering a new contract was plain stupid. Extending the relationship further is off-the-scale ridiculous. 
 

Pearson’s ‘credits in the bank’ would suffer serious harm with me if CoD is here next Season. Enough is enough.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get rid. If were serious about progressing, we need to get rid of players like o dowda. Brings nothing to our team. 

Genuinely shocked that some on here would be happy with him signing a contract. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Just NO City. Can’t believe we’ve given it a second thought.

Signing the lad was a mistake, offering a new contract was plain stupid. Extending the relationship further is off-the-scale ridiculous. 
 

Pearson’s ‘credits in the bank’ would suffer serious harm with me if CoD is here next Season. Enough is enough.

Well said, completely agree. 

Just now, Ecko said:

Get rid. If were serious about progressing, we need to get rid of players like o dowda. Brings nothing to our team. 

Genuinely shocked that some on here would be happy with him signing a contract. 

Likewise, he’s part of the family feel fluffy Bristol City of the Ashton era that needs to be cleansed from our club. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

A very poor championship player? Weird that it seems Pearson wants to keep him then.  

I'd keep him for £1 per week, but for £15k per week there's not a chance in hell. Everyone has a price.

Let's be fair here, the last few managers have kept him as well, so they all see something in him. Then he gets to an actual football match on a Saturday afternoon and generally it is the same predictable poor, or bang average performance, and the only consistency he has is he generally does eff all.

Can you list how many games he's turned around for us, how many games he's won for us, how many times he's been man of the match, how many times he's been outstanding? He has been here 6 years and had 160 appearances, you'd think in at least half of those he'd be fairly decent.

What's weird is any criticism of COD you seem to be straight on here defending him at every single turn and now calling it 'hate'. I think there is a player in there, but how long and how much money do you keep throwing at such an inconsistent player? I'd rather bring someone else in on the same money, or give a youngster a chance. If he stays I hope he does well and becomes a solid Championship player, but I think he has had more than enough chances as it stands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I'd keep him for £1 per week, but for £15k per week there's not a chance in hell. Everyone has a price.

Let's be fair here, the last few managers have kept him as well, so they all see something in him. Then he gets to an actual football match on a Saturday afternoon and generally it is the same predictable poor, or bang average performance, and the only consistency he has is he generally does eff all.

Can you list how many games he's turned around for us, how many games he's won for us, how many times he's been man of the match, how many times he's been outstanding? He has been here 6 years and had 160 appearances, you'd think in at least half of those he'd be fairly decent.

What's weird is any criticism of COD you seem to be straight on here defending him at every single turn and now calling it 'hate'. I think there is a player in there, but how long and how much money do you keep throwing at such an inconsistent player? I'd rather bring someone else in on the same money, or give a youngster a chance. If he stays I hope he does well and becomes a solid Championship player, but I think he has had more than enough chances as it stands.

It won’t be £15k per week. Will be less than that. I rate him and think he does a good job at this level. He’s got flaws for sure, as every city player does. I’m not going to list games as I can’t be bothered and all the games merge into one at my age!  I think there are fans that really dislike him and don’t give him any credit. Looking for reasons to slag him off.  I look forward to seeing if he stays. 

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

How would deciding not to renew a contract for a player who has flattered to deceive for circa 5 years be a mistake? 

That’s your opinion. Maybe Pearson disagrees with you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odowda is a strange player, so inconsistent and unplayable on his day. I remember him scoring a wonder goal from kick off at Norwich away years ago. Those days are too far inbetween though. He needs a change to push reset imo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, One Team said:

Agreed. I don’t hate him, in fact from what I understand from those who know him he’s a really nice lad. 

Problem is he’s a very poor Championship footballer who has season after season proved to be incapable of performing at this level.

If he was a youth player just breaking in or a new player finding his feet one could cut him some slack but he isn’t. He’s been here SIX years and reached the height of mediocrity. Honestly players like Alex Scott have done more in six games than he’s shown in six years. 

We have had worse players technically over the years but taking seasons served, games played and contributions made he’s one of the worst players we have ever had in my time watching City. 

Spot on. 

COD has been here 6 years making 140 league appearances and scoring just 7 goals Far worse his assists are equally poor. Those stats suggest he is simply not good enough for the Championship. If Pearson really wants to keep him, then I really worry about his judgement.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sometimes wonder if the reason that successive Managers have continued to pick Callum and the fans see him as a waste of space, is a misunderstanding of his role.

The fans seem to expect some sort of Lionel Messi type, carving through defences run after run, but maybe the Managers see him as a plain industrious right sided midfielder who protects and retains the ball? I don't know that either statement is true, just a supposition.

Every time I post in a thread about CoD it seems to come across as me defending him, but personally I think he would be better off moving on. He could continue to have a reasonable career, if he can stay fit. He will occasionally pop up on the EFL show doing something good and some of us will no doubt suck a thoughtful tooth and wonder.

  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyhows, sure this is all a load of tosh generated by his (very good) agent in order to increase a salary offer from elsewhere. 

As forecast months ago, CoD would go off with long term injury and wouldn’t play again this (last) season ….. correct. 

In the same forecast, said he would be off to Ipswich. Still waiting for confirmation. 
 

One of Ashton’s ‘good humans’, which I suspect he is. I think we found that a team made up of ‘good humans’ is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Looking forward to watching a team of ‘nasty winners’ taking on and beating the Leeds, Millwall’s of this world next season myself. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I sometimes wonder if the reason that successive Managers have continued to pick Callum and the fans see him as a waste of space, is a misunderstanding of his role.

The fans seem to expect some sort of Lionel Messi type, carving through defences run after run, but maybe the Managers see him as a plain industrious right sided midfielder who protects and retains the ball? I don't know that either statement is true, just a supposition.

Every time I post in a thread about CoD it seems to come across as me defending him, but personally I think he would be better off moving on. He could continue to have a reasonable career, if he can stay fit. He will occasionally pop up on the EFL show doing something good and some of us will no doubt suck a thoughtful tooth and wonder.

Excellent summary... i agree that now is probably the time for him to move on, but as i've said before, i wouldn't be surprised to see him do well at another Champ club.

He's 27 now so as long as he gets over his injury issues of last season, then i think he will have interest from a number of other clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I sometimes wonder if the reason that successive Managers have continued to pick Callum and the fans see him as a waste of space, is a misunderstanding of his role.

The fans seem to expect some sort of Lionel Messi type, carving through defences run after run, but maybe the Managers see him as a plain industrious right sided midfielder who protects and retains the ball? I don't know that either statement is true, just a supposition.

Every time I post in a thread about CoD it seems to come across as me defending him, but personally I think he would be better off moving on. He could continue to have a reasonable career, if he can stay fit. He will occasionally pop up on the EFL show doing something good and some of us will no doubt suck a thoughtful tooth and wonder.

Nobody expects him to run through teams . I do especially like where you say protects & shields the ball. You’re right , he doesn’t do either. He runs down blind ally’s . I said it before about him. He runs with his head down , which is unbelievable for a player at our level . 
His attributes are , he has power & pace so you think he would suit Pearson’s teams. However he doesn’t know how to use it . He doesn’t use his body properly to fend of defenders & doesn’t seem to be a very intelligent footballer all round. He should be coming into his prime but it’s like he’s just come out of the academy . 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nobody expects him to run through teams . I do especially like where you say protects & shields the ball. You’re right , he doesn’t do either. He runs down blind ally’s . I said it before about him. He runs with his head down , which is unbelievable for a player at our level . 
His attributes are , he has power & pace so you think he would suit Pearson’s teams. However he doesn’t know how to use it . He doesn’t use his body properly to fend of defenders & doesn’t seem to be a very intelligent footballer all round. He should be coming into his prime but it’s like he’s just come out of the academy . 

Think what’s telling is that after 5 years I, and many others, haven’t a clue as to what his ‘best’ - or least worse - position is in the team. 
 

The fact that Manager’s include him in teams is more an indictment of the (lack) of quality in our unbalanced squad tbh. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nobody expects him to run through teams . I do especially like where you say protects & shields the ball. You’re right , he doesn’t do either. He runs down blind ally’s . I said it before about him. He runs with his head down , which is unbelievable for a player at our level . 
His attributes are , he has power & pace so you think he would suit Pearson’s teams. However he doesn’t know how to use it . He doesn’t use his body properly to fend of defenders & doesn’t seem to be a very intelligent footballer all round. He should be coming into his prime but it’s like he’s just come out of the academy . 

True enough. But he is a ball carrier which is an attribute in sides that defend for long periods looking to break. Again, I am not saying he should stay, just looking at reasons that successive Managers seem to be keen to use him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

True enough. But he is a ball carrier which is an attribute in sides that defend for long periods looking to break. Again, I am not saying he should stay, just looking at reasons that successive Managers seem to be keen to use him.

I stay away from the regular COD threads as it became the popular thing , for everyone to pile on , with their criticism, many with just vitriol, and was never any debate.

Ive thought , and still have some belief , that there’s a player in there , and a player who should be ideally suited to modern and Championship Football in his ball carrying potential and in the era of transition being key.

In fairness to his critics , or the ones that explain their rationale - We have seen too little of that potential or product in his career here to date

Im not sure what his longest run of games has been here but injuries appear to have disrupted him any time he’s begun to have a prolonged run - I’d be interested to see him have a 25-30 game run , interrupted by injury - but , of course he has to earn that too.

He has consistently been selected by each of his managers here - they will have their reasons , maybe some that are not apparent to fans

i have no strong feeling either way - I see a player in there, but if Nigel was happy to see him depart then fine

I have real faith in Pearson , or certainly at least , aspects of him, and knowing what he wants from a player , and the fact I would suggest he’s a fairly ruthless judge , if he sees something everyday in Callum and wants to keep him on lower wages , I’m good with that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...