IGNORED

Andi Weimann

Lew-T

6 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Selfishly I would prefer him to score the winner at Legoland against Wales then pull up his shirt to reveal a City t-shirt underneath ??

I would accept him scoring a late winner and then running the length of the pitch doing a Scotty celebration.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Andi was played far too deep or too wide for much of his time here and I credit Pearson for realising that if you play him in a central attacking line he'll get goals.

Of course, there's more to his game than that and I like the way he helps out all over the pitch. If anyone can be said to be "he's here, he's there, he's every flaming where" it's him. 

We are lucky indeed that he decided to stick around and re-sign for us after he was initially released. If he'd decided to return to the continent, our season would've been an even bigger struggle.  

Yes, credit for NP here, he definitely knows how to get the best out of Weimann.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Believe he was offered a contract by Stoke but fortunately only for 2 years & Birmingham also held talks with him.

Think we’d have gone down if he had chosen differently.

His injury destroyed any hope Holden had of being a success here.

Not saying Holden should still be our manager but he was basically finished when Weimann was injured.

Safe to say we would be in real relegation trouble if the same had happened this season.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

27 (18g, 9a) goal contributions in 39 games for a team 18th in the table, whilst playing about 5 different positions.

Absolutely remarkable, so deserved to get a call up.

Also on the back of a really bad injury keeping him out for more or less a season.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Andi was played far too deep or too wide for much of his time here and I credit Pearson for realising that if you play him in a central attacking line he'll get goals.

Of course, there's more to his game than that and I like the way he helps out all over the pitch. If anyone can be said to be "he's here, he's there, he's every flaming where" it's him. 

We are lucky indeed that he decided to stick around and re-sign for us after he was initially released. If he'd decided to return to the continent, our season would've been an even bigger struggle.  

In effect a £20k p.w. forward who we signed for £0m on £10k p.w (figures allegeded), albeit on a 3 year contract.  That extra year, was the clincher as @GrahamCmentions above, which some of us (me included) thought might end up being a year too long, but acceptable in the circumstances, looks a master-stroke.

Martin has proved that at 33 you can still perform at this level…Andi is 3 years younger.

9 minutes ago, Waconda said:

His injury destroyed any hope Holden had of being a success here.

Not saying Holden should still be our manager but he was basically finished when Weimann was injured.

Safe to say we would be in real relegation trouble if the same had happened this season.

Yep, Holden-ball was hugely dependent on Paterson and Weimann.  Shame.  Imagine being able to combine their strengths into a single player?  Wouldn’t be at Bristol City would they!

• Like 4

4th highest goal scorer and 6th highest assists, average of 5th puts him top across the two, so basically the best player in the Championship. Slightly less facetiously it shows what happens when decent ability (eg 100+ games in the Premier League) and hard work/attitude intersect. Not always played in the right way, but one of the relatively few transfers we’ve got spot on over the last few years. 20+ goals and 10+ assists would be exceptional given the season we’ve had.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

We've got an Austrian international ?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/vienna-calling-as-austria-select-weimann/

Andi Weimann has been rewarded for his outstanding City form with a call-up by Austria.

Weimann, who has scored 18 goals in his best ever return along with nine assists, has been selected in the squad to prepare for next Thursday’s World Cup qualifier against Wales.

After numerous stand-by nominations in the seven years since the last of his 14 caps, the ever-humble Weimann is delighted to get the call, telling Robins TV: “Playing for your country is an incredible honour and I’ve never given up hope of being selected for Austria again. I’ve just tried to work hard for City and contribute with goals and assists and hopefully I’ll get noticed.”

Austria play Wales in Cardiff on March 26th  (7.45pm) with the winners facing Scotland or Ukraine to decide who goes to Qatar.

That's a little confusing as Wales actually play Austria on Thursday 24th March at 19-45 not the 26th which is Saturday. It's also on S4C for those that don't have Sky.

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

That's a little confusing as Wales actually play Austria on Thursday 24th March at 19-45 not the 26th which is Saturday. It's also on S4C for those that don't have Sky.

Hang on are you saying our esteemed website got something wrong?? I can hardly believe it 

• Haha 2

So well deserved, he’s always brought a lot to a team but with his now prolific goal involvements (18 goals and 9 assists! Phenomenal) it must’ve been an easy call for the Austrian coach. I’m sure many of us will watch their play off with interest! Forza Andi Weimann.

13 hours ago, Gazred said:

We've got an Austrian international ?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/vienna-calling-as-austria-select-weimann/

Andi Weimann has been rewarded for his outstanding City form with a call-up by Austria.

Weimann, who has scored 18 goals in his best ever return along with nine assists, has been selected in the squad to prepare for next Thursday’s World Cup qualifier against Wales.

After numerous stand-by nominations in the seven years since the last of his 14 caps, the ever-humble Weimann is delighted to get the call, telling Robins TV: “Playing for your country is an incredible honour and I’ve never given up hope of being selected for Austria again. I’ve just tried to work hard for City and contribute with goals and assists and hopefully I’ll get noticed.”

Austria play Wales in Cardiff on March 26th  (7.45pm) with the winners facing Scotland or Ukraine to decide who goes to Qatar.

Great he can help stop Wales and Scotland qualifying ?

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 09:33, Robbored said:

AW has always had goals in him and he could reach the 20 goals mark this season. I’m not sure whether he’s ever bagged 20 in a season before.

You obviously didn’t read the club’s statement on this which was on the “official site” - you know, the only source of Bristol City info which you trust. Can’t believe you’ve commented on this without consulting your info Bible first - anyway, if you had, you’d have read that this season’s goal return for Andi so far represents the most goals he’s ever scored in a single season before. Therefore he has not so far ‘ever bagged 20 in a season before’ ... ??

• Thanks 1

Hold my hands up. In previous seasons/ pre-injury I questioned his ability. Never his desire. There were times where I argued, “well what if I run around for 90 minutes and look like a grafter, will I get a game?”

However, this is why I’m not in football and probably never should be. He has had an absolute stormer of a season thoroughly deserves an international start let alone a call up, and I for one stand corrected. I also feel the coaching staff and Nige should get some praise as well, for getting the best out of him where others did not. Well done Andi. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2