IGNORED

Looks like football is REALLY coming home

27 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Yeh Euro 96 was rubbish ??

Never said it was rubbish just saying from a personal point of view tournaments abroad are much better . Flip slide of the coin is more people can afford/ get time of work easier for a tournament played at home 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Never said it was rubbish just saying from a personal point of view tournaments abroad are much better . Flip slide of the coin is more people can afford/ get time of work easier for a tournament played at home 

Yes Qatar should be a huge success...

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not sure we could make it big enough. Plenty of stadiums that are more than big enough in the home nations.

Not necessarily to have a massive capacity, but big enough to host the minor games in the South West as there's no games down this way in England.

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not sure we could make it big enough. Plenty of stadiums that are more than big enough in the home nations.

Would depend on whether they want to spread them around or will just look at the biggest stadiums. Guess if they did look at the south they would look at St Mary's rather than AG.

58 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Would City have any interest in developing Ashton Gate to become a stadium contender for 2028?

Doubt it. 

With our average attendances this season I'd be very surprised if the club felt they could afford to expand the stadium any further, especially with our financial position. I can't see a couple of 2nd rate group games in the euros making much of a difference 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Doubt it. 

With our average attendances this season I'd be very surprised if the club felt they could afford to expand the stadium any further, especially with our financial position. I can't see a couple of 2nd rate group games in the euros making much of a difference 

Its not the fact that the owners can't afford to develop the ground, but more the fact that our financial position as a team is hampered by FFP. Im sure if SL wanted to, he'd easily be able to spend tens of millions, but FFP prevents him from doing so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Its not the fact that the owners can't afford to develop the ground, but more the fact that our financial position as a team is hampered by FFP. Im sure if SL wanted to, he'd easily be able to spend tens of millions, but FFP prevents him from doing so.

There's no point. The Lansdown looks terrible most weeks as the majority of seats are empty. Further development of the stadium should be bottom of the list for the club.

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Would City have any interest in developing Ashton Gate to become a stadium contender for 2028?

I'd love to see it, but we'd need major development to have a hope in hell really. There's (currently) a plan for 51 matches.

The minimum required for a bid is 10 stadiums. Those ten must include a breakdown of capacities as follows, and of course will need to be shared between the four home nations plus the Republic. The following (eleven) is my suggested list, bearing in mind geographical spread and capacity:

• 1 stadium with 60,000 seats - that will be Wembley presumably;
  • 1 stadium (preferably 2) with 50,000 seats - so you can tick that off with Old Trafford or the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff;
  • 4 stadiums with 40,000 seats - St James Park (52K), Hampden Park (51K), Anfield (53K), and the Aviva in Dublin; and
  • 3 stadiums with 30,000 seats - Villa Park (42K), St Mary's (32K) and Hillsborough (40K).

One note is that there is currently no dedicated football stadium in N. Ireland with 30,000 capacity. There is time to redevelop Windsor Park of course, and I suspect that is what might happen here. Alternatively there is the 32,000 capacity Gaelic stadium at Casement Park. Potentially that could be used if the GAA agreed and if it could be upgraded to be all-seater as currently only 7K of that capacity are seated.

You can of course use more than 10 stadiums, the above is merely a minimum requirement, but there are so many stadia in the UK and Ireland that the only argument AG would have for hosting is that it's a fairly modern stadium (although it will be more than 10 years since the redevelopment by 2028) and it's the only feasible option if you want to have a stadium in the South West of England. Is that enough to get us onto the short list? I doubt it. AG is the 52nd largest stadium in the UK and Ireland (although most of the big Irish stadiums are Gaelic/Hurling not football). I just don't think we are in with a hope in hell of even hosting a minor group game.

I suspect we'd be more likely to have a shout of hosting a smaller nation at the training ground, but even that is likely to be a longshot by 2028 ad many clubs are likely to be developing their own centres, plus you've got the universities to compete with in that market as well.

36 minutes ago, beaverface said:

The type of capital expenditure on infrastructure that would be involved in redeveloping a stadium is excluded from FFP/P&S calculations. 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Apparently its going to be 32 teams in the finals. Looking forward to Azerbaijan vs Faroe Islands - that'll be a sellout

Is the Men Stand in contention?

5 hours ago, beaverface said:

If it was just England hosting then yes I reckon we would but with it being a U.K. bid they’ll want to share it out so I’d guess “only” Wembley, spurs, new Everton, new Chelsea and OT being used.

8 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Would this mean the four UK countries and Ireland all qualify automatically as hosts?

Apparently not, UEFA only keen to allow 2 host nations to qualify but I expect it will be discussed 

7 hours ago, sephjnr said:

It would be a UK+Ireland team (or UK team as well as Ireland), so a joint bid would be dead the moment it would be spoken of.

Why would it have to be a UK team?