IGNORED

Max O’Leary

GrahamC

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Well done Max.  Would like to see him regain his place and continue to improve and learn ahead of being our number one next season, if he does so.  We know what Bentley can do and if Max is as good after another run of games then we can sell Bentley and invest in other areas. 

Rather we kept our best keeper tbh.

• Like 16
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf, if I had Irish roots and arms I’d expect a call up. The original three keepers were a Man City 20yo on loan at Pompey, the keeper for Bohemians and Kelleher, the Liverpool reserve.

Pleased for Max but in perspective, it’s pretty slim pickings on the emerald isle

Never once went down the route of picking Rene Gilmartin, though did they? ?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I did say ‘if max is as good’ as a caveat

I don’t think it should be forgotten that we are in a poor position financially. We may need to sell a first team player to improve other areas of the pitch 

He’s not.

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I did say ‘if max is as good’ as a caveat

I don’t think it should be forgotten that we are in a poor position financially. We may need to sell a first team player to improve other areas of the pitch 

He’s not as good. I do think we’d be a better side with him in goal and the transfer fee from Bentley invested into other areas though.

• Haha 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Well done Max.  Would like to see him regain his place and continue to improve and learn ahead of being our number one next season, if he does so.  We know what Bentley can do and if Max is as good after another run of games then we can sell Bentley and invest in other areas. 

What makes you so confident Max will be here next season? :fear:

• Like 1

Just now, nickolas said:

I hope we dont!

Depends how much he improves between now and then if given a run of games. Many players improve with experience, especially goalkeepers. Unless you think Max’s ability has now peaked?!

Just now, Rich said:

And he'd be a very lucky chap.

Would be surprised if he didn’t improve with more game time. Very surprised. He hasn’t peaked yet 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Depends how much he improves between now and then if given a run of games. Many players improve with experience, especially goalkeepers. Unless you think Max’s ability has now peaked?!

Keepers can be notable exceptions , often at their peak much younger , the list of brilliant young keepers that didn’t hold that form over the years is long

Would be surprised if he didn’t improve with more game time. Very surprised. He hasn’t peaked yet 

How do you know that ?

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

He's 25 and had lot's of chances to take over the reigns. I know this is exceptional but, Pickford made his debut for England at 23 and has been almost ever present in that time.

I'm genuinely pleased for him that he's been selected and it could be the spur that drives him on to work on and improve aspects of his game. But I remain convinced that he lacks certain attributes to be anything  other than he is now, a stand in. I expect him to find his level lower down the leagues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

He's 25 and had lot's of chances to take over the reigns. I know this is exceptional but, Pickford made his debut for England at 23 and has been almost ever present in that time.

I'm genuinely pleased for him that he's been selected and it could be the spur that drives him on to work on and improve aspects of his game. But I remain convinced that he lacks certain attributes to be anything  other than he is now, a stand in. I expect him to find his level lower down the leagues.

What Pickford has done is irrelevant. On loan at Preston he was already superb at 21

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Seems weird that some don't want a top keeper in goal. Probably the most important position. 

Who has said that ?

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Fair enough , I’m not convinced , certainly not enough that he can be our No 1 next season 

I hope I’m wrong

I think people didn’t read what I wrote properly. I said give him game time now (we aren’t going down) and see if he can improve with extra game time. If he does improve and is as good as Bentley then we can sell Bentley and reinvest. With our money situation we will need to sell and buy and Bentley is one that we could get money for which in this scenario wouldn’t weaken us

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What Pickford has done is irrelevant. On loan at Preston he was already superb at 21

Who has said that ?

You seem happy to let Bentley go. It's pretty obvious MOL will never be good enough at this level.

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Fair enough , I’m not convinced , certainly not enough that he can be our No 1 next season 

I hope I’m wrong

You won't be.

• Like 2