IGNORED

Adriano Basso

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Nope. Basso questioned GJ’s summer transfer quality after the play off final season. GJ didnt like it so forced him out. 

Seems highly unlikely, as he played 44/46 that following season.

Also we only signed 2 players, Nicky Maynard (the only player to score 20 in a season at that level for many years until Tammy Abraham)  & Gavin Williams, who wasn’t anything special but certainly had his moments, so hardly a Styvar type signing.

13 hours ago, nickolas said:

Nope. Basso questioned GJ’s summer transfer quality after the play off final season. GJ didnt like it so forced him out. 

There was unrest in the dressing room due to disparity of wages between some of the key players from the promotion and play off seasons. McIndoe was one of our highest earners, and this didn’t sit well within the camp. Apparently it all got out of hand from there as players (including Basso) started to question the club’s (or rather the management’s) thinking on player’s worth.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Basso and watching him train when he was out of contract. This was what he told us at the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

His career stats say he was average.

It wasn’t just about his ability as a goalkeeper though Rob.

He was inspirational. He was a leader. It was what he did for other players, for the team, in the dressing room as much as what he did between the sticks. 

How many threads have we seen on here the past decade bemoaning our lack of leadership? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

There was unrest in the dressing room due to disparity of wages between some of the key players from the promotion and play off seasons. McIndoe was one of our highest earners, and this didn’t sit well within the camp. Apparently it all got out of hand from there as players (including Basso) started to question the club’s (or rather the management’s) thinking on player’s worth.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Basso and watching him train when he was out of contract. This was what he told us at the time. 

Not the first time. Remember Carey was allegedly disgruntled that he was paid less than players who had been brought in and left for Coventry.

And Nigel has made it clear he doesn't want a significant disparity in wages across the squad. Some players are always going to be paid more than others for a variety of reasons but you have to keep the range reasonable to avoid dissent in the camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

He was popular because although he made mistakes he could also make incredible saves up there with top level keepers, and if he made a mistake he would immediately get over it, he was mentally very strong. I remember once an opposing player caught a shot from the edge of the box just right and it went like a bullet, he not only saved it but caught it and just carried on as if nothing had happened. He was popular (a bit like Jacki a few years before) as he was capable of doing things worth the entrance money on their own, there are only a few players in a City shirt I can remember like that.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Never played top flight, managed less than 300 games in a 20 year career (a lot of it spent non-league), struggled to find clubs and ended up (so I just read on Wikipedia) playing just 31 games after throwing his toys out the pram when he was with us because he thought he was better than he was.

Not saying he was a bad keeper, just think the myth of Basso was greater than the player.

For balance, I thought Chris Weale was a better keeper, but he played even less.

How you doing these days Chris?

Joking aside, you have a fair point - his career before and after us was not great, and 300 games in a 20 year career doesn't equate to much per season.

However, in his time here he was a mainstay in arguably the most successful City side in recent times (with regards to where we finished and nearly got to, as opposed to winning trophies at a lower level), and his character/beliefs helped individual players, as well as create numerous chants/songs from the terrace which have helped spur the team on (even to this day).

Whilst a player can have a rather uninspiring career overall, it is still possible for them to become a (cult) hero at one club.

So in some respects you're right, and in others you're wrong.

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know.  Where are our South American scouts?! ;):laugh:

For a modest sinecure from City, I'd be prepared to base myself in Rio and scour the beaches for people who look good in a kickaround. I might concentrate on finding talent for our women's team mostly though.... :whistle2:

I’ll come with you as I’ve heard we may be launching a women’s beach volleyball team and I’ve volunteered to be head of recruitment on that one ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

How you doing these days Chris?

Joking aside, you have a fair point - his career before and after us was not great, and 300 games in a 20 year career doesn't equate to much per season.

However, in his time here he was a mainstay in arguably the most successful City side in recent times (with regards to where we finished and nearly got to, as opposed to winning trophies at a lower level), and his character/beliefs helped individual players, as well as create numerous chants/songs from the terrace which have helped spur the team on (even to this day).

Whilst a player can have a rather uninspiring career overall, it is still possible for them to become a (cult) hero at one club.

So in some respects you're right, and in others you're wrong.

To be fair, I never said he was a poor player, just average. And if he hadn't been part of such a well assembled squad that experienced success I don't imagine he would be as fondly remembered by some.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

He was inspirational. He was a leader. It was what he did for other players, for the team, in the dressing room as much as what he did between the sticks. 

How many threads have we seen on here the past decade bemoaning our lack of leadership? 

Absolutely, spot @italian dave.

It felt like a religious experience watching city with Basso in goal.   That 'always believe' chant inspired by Basso seemed to really the team on to score countless goals at the end of games.  A stark contrast to what be have the last few years.  

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Thank you for saving me the time of writing the same thing.

Can't remember the opposition, but I remember Basso in a bit of bother following a back pass which he couldn't pick up and an opposition player at his back. He did a little shimmy and back heeled it to our left back. Another time, against Yeovil at home, a player took a pot shot from the edge of the area and Basso leaped to his left and plucked it out of the air and held on to it. Cue the "oh Basso" chant both times.

Great keeper for us, one of the best I've seen, a one off.

• Like 2

On 25/03/2022 at 17:20, Bristol Rob said:

Never played top flight, managed less than 300 games in a 20 year career (a lot of it spent non-league), struggled to find clubs and ended up (so I just read on Wikipedia) playing just 31 games after throwing his toys out the pram when he was with us because he thought he was better than he was.

Not saying he was a bad keeper, just think the myth of Basso was greater than the player.

For balance, I thought Chris Weale was a better keeper, but he played even less.

You're talking "average" at the higher end of the game though. Championship players aren't "average" they're way above the average footballer.

Even at the time he played for us, being in the Championship was above our "average" as we'd spent half our history at League 1 level

• Like 1