IGNORED

Sky Glass

Robbored

Got Sky Q and it’s fantastic. Glass just appears to be the same without the box/dish. I get my broadband from Sky- the guaranteed multi room higher rate- and it’s nothing like as good as Sky claim. Signal is often 1 or 2 bars and the router seems to need re setting every few weeks ( live in an Edwardian house with solid walls, but in the centre of a town.) So it’s definitely no thanks for me.

Well i have it as needed a new TV and it made sense at the time.

It's not great to be fair, and I wish we'd just kept Sky Q.

You don't actually record things anymore, they are added to playlists (like Netflix). These are somewhat sporadic to how they work. Plus some playlists on some channels drop off as the links don't stay forever.

Without the catch up TV of Sky Q, trying to find programmes is a bit of a nightmare; and if your programme over runs (F1 or PL in particular), the programme just stops. So you need to actually watch the programme live to make sure you can see it all.

I have ultra fast broadband (250MBPS) but as it a streaming box if you fast forward or rewind it often freezes and you have to reset the whole TV.

If only works on HD or UHHD so loads of channel have dropped out, and my main ITV channel is now Central ???? as ITV West is not on HD. Lost about 60+ channels from Sky Q; and of course there are no +1 channels.

All in all, a nice idea but it relies on the channels working with it, which they obviously don't sometimes.

Stuck with it now for another 3.5 years of course, as paying off the TV at £17 per month.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You don't actually record things anymore, they are added to playlists (like Netflix). These are somewhat sporadic to how they work. Plus some playlists on some channels drop off as the links don't stay forever.

Without the catch up TV of Sky Q, trying to find programmes is a bit of a nightmare; and if your programme over runs (F1 or PL in particular), the programme just stops. So you need to actually watch the programme live to make sure you can see it all.

I have ultra fast broadband (250MBPS) but as it a streaming box if you fast forward or rewind it often freezes and you have to reset the whole TV.

If only works on HD or UHHD so loads of channel have dropped out, and my main ITV channel is now Central ???? as ITV West is not on HD. Lost about 60+ channels from Sky Q; and of course there are no +1 channels.

All in all, a nice idea but it relies on the channels working with it, which they obviously don't sometimes.

Stuck with it now for another 3.5 years of course, as paying off the TV at £17 per month.

An interesting viewpoint, as I had thought about looking into it if/when our main TV goes (about 8 years old). I wasn't completely sold on the idea of what looks like quite a chunky unit, but then again the TV we have isn't slimline by any stretch of the imagination (is a 3d one - that went well didn't it!!).

The more I read into it, the less enticing it sounds, as we are in a semi-rural area and took a few years to get fibre installed on a new build, but even BT have yet to install fibre to the area (we're with a company called Gigaclear), so on the odd occasion the Internet is down, it would mean no TV. The point you make about watching live just seems pointless, as to be fair I can count on one hand the times we actually watch "live" TV (with the exception of the kids channels).

It seems like a good idea that hasn't really been thought through properly. Can't see it lasting long.

On 31/03/2022 at 12:01, TomF said:

They've have been better off using the the NOW TV approach (that they own) and making it a small compact USB stick (like amazon fire)

The sky puck is on the horizon… and it’s exactly this. 

If you’re a satellite dish installer, I’d seriously be considering retraining in something else. 

On 31/03/2022 at 12:11, TonyTonyTony said:

I just wish Sky Q mini box could do 4K. That seems very odd, as all TV's now are 4k. Its a big miss from Sky that

And don't even think of switching the 4k box with your mini. Both boxes  won't work! 

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

How would you do that anyway? The main box has a satellite input - the mini is wireless

Correctamundo.

However, if you decide, like we did, to change the rooms for watching TV, it's not that simple! 

The new SkyQ Satellite dish LNB has just one output. The subsequent cable then feeds your Sky Q main box. Even if you still have the old cable from the SkyHD box in your new 4K viewing room, it's not just a simple question of unscrewing and rescrewing cables at the LNB. Sky now use a crimped connection. Assuming you have easy access to your dish is ok, you'll still have to go to Screwfix for the tool and fixings. 

On 02/04/2022 at 23:30, Fordy62 said:

The sky puck is on the horizon… and it’s exactly this. 

If you’re a satellite dish installer, I’d seriously be considering retraining in something else. 

https://www.t3.com/news/sky-glass-wasnt-right-for-me-but-skys-stand-alone-stream-puck-sounds-perfect

Virgin media also going down this route apparently..

Edited by TMWANG50
change

On 30/03/2022 at 09:52, Bedred31 said:

Got Sky Q and it’s fantastic. Glass just appears to be the same without the box/dish. I get my broadband from Sky- the guaranteed multi room higher rate- and it’s nothing like as good as Sky claim. Signal is often 1 or 2 bars and the router seems to need re setting every few weeks ( live in an Edwardian house with solid walls, but in the centre of a town.) So it’s definitely no thanks for me.

That sounds an internal issue rather than specifically sky’s fault tbh

Have you tried wireless extenders or power line adaptors?

On 31/03/2022 at 11:58, NcnsBcfc said:

Is there no cooling off period to return it?

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Is there no cooling off period to return it?

30 days, I've had it for 5 months now.

Moving back to Sky Q, at no extra cost. The finance deal around the TV stays the same. Had enough of it now.

Quite funny after I spoke to Sky. They all knew that Sky Glass wasn't up to it, and was dependant on the channels working with it (which they don't).

I was the first one to phone up, and ask to be put back on Sky Q. They had to double check I could actually do it.